CWD zone region 7

easternmt

Anybody read the second page in the regs and see the rules for hunting from Ashland to Broadus and south to Wyoming? I’m curious where fwp is going to get funds to enforce this zone and what it’s going to do to people hunting there?

I imagine they will do things much the same way they did it last year for the transport restriction zone across Region 6. Not sure what you mean by “what it’s going to do to people hunting there”? Wasn’t particularly disruptive up here. Won’t be any different than it is for people hunting CWD positive areas anywhere else in the country.

I hunted in a CWD unit in Wyoming last season. The rules said that deer should be boned out at the kill site and bones left in field. I saw plenty of deer being hauled out of that country that had been only been field dressed. It didn’t appear that the rules were being followed.

The scariest thing about cwd is Montana fwp’s plan to try to control it.

I think what the OP has asked a legit question. Per the CWD transport regulation, I think that this is going to be an eye opener for most folks. The folks will no longer be able to head home with their gutted only deer stacked in the truck bed or strapped to a 4-wheeler trailer. These deer can be transported from the area, meat and fully cleaned skull plate only. I wonder what the folks will do when stopped at a check station and are told that they will not be able to legally drive home with a gutted only critter. Will be interesting, no doubt!

I would venture a guess that SE Montana sees 100x more hunters, from all over the state, than the High-Line ever sees.

Here is a CWD testing question that I have been unable to get answered. You obey the CWD transportation rules and you stop at a check station. How accurate will be the CWD test be when boned meat only is provided and the skull plate has been cleaned?

Where's all this boned-out talk coming from? It says right there on page 2 quarters without brain or spinal column can be transported. No need to de-bone.

Another question is it says that a negative tested animal can be removed from said zone but where do you get it tested? I was mainly posting so that hunters as conservationists will be aware there are some changes coming to this area and we all need to be aware and do our part.

LCH,,,, I stand corrected! Leg bones can remain! No spinal column, from the tip of the tail to the tip of the nose cannot be transported out of the CWD zones.

I can imagine that there will be extensive “Spine/bone” piles left near all those popular camping spots in the years to come

Reactions: LCH
Again based on how it worked in other parts of Montana, there will be ample opportunity to have animals tested without violating the transportation restriction rules. There were multiple check stations within the zone, as well as the option to take the head to an FWP office to have it tested (again within the zone).

I’ll give you that the negative animal part is a little nonsensical, considering results were taking about 3 weeks.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back