CWD & WOLVES

Ten Bears

I was wondering about this:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Deer are eaten by many other animals in the wild. Could CWD spread to other animals like foxes, wolves, or birds?
Prions are usually specific to one type of animal. Susceptibility in other wildlife species is being researched. It is unlikely that CWD or a similar prion-disease would spread to foxes, wolves or birds.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://www.extension.umn.edu/administrative/features/wastingdisease.html

It seems odd to me that CWD can be found all around Minnesota, but none has been found in free ranging animals in the state.

I'd imagine that there are even certain populations of deer and elk that can't get it. Just like some humans can't get cholera, their bodies have an immunity to the disease for some reason. That is why I don't think wiping out the deer or elk in an area is very good management. For one, all of them probably won't be killed and you never know if you are just killing the ones that can't get the disease. There is still mucho that is not known about it. A lady here is trying to get a research project off the ground looking for a genetic link to CWD susceptibility, so if anyone would like to get some more edumication or know someone that would be interested I can get you in touch with her.

I also don't agree with the kill them all method that is being implemented or is on the drawing table. It is almost like throwing out the baby with the bathwater..
smile.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back