CVA Wolf muzzleloader

I have a CVA Accura V2

If your state allows:
Swap breach plug for BH209 version
Blackhorn 209 (just uses Hoppes #9 to clean barrel.)
Barnes TMZ or TEZ sabot bullets
209 magnum primers (for BH209)

Shooting BH209, you do not have to clean between shots, just a quick wet (spit) and dry patch. At the range, I generally clean every 3 rounds but have tested and gone 5 with no issues just to see. Hunting, I would have no problem reloading for a follow-up shot without cleaning. BH209 is definitely more expensive but I say it's worth it and most agree who have used it.

I bought vials to keep premeasured loads of BH209 but the vials themselves have measurements on them that are NOT accurate. Get a good powder measurer.

***Blackpowder and BH209 are by volume, not weight. ***

With pellets you might go 150 grain max load (don't know limit of wolf) but with BH209, there is no need to go over 110 and I think I was shooting 100 gr last year. Start at 90 grains and work up from there to 110 if needed. Unfortunately I did not get a shot on an elk to give results from that perspective.

I used a cva wolf this year with 100gr of triple 7 and an all lead 295gr power belt on my cow elk. My advice is to put in the time at the range. Shoot it until you're comfortable, it took me sometime for sure to get there.

I am wondering what all I need to buy a CVA Wolf muzzleloader, and shoot it. I am very new to muzzleloading, and I am up for suggestions for ammo, primers, powders, and possibly even other guns/brands.
My wife bought me a CVA Wolf for Christmas about 7 years ago. I was a little hesitant at first since it was such a cheap ML. I couldn’t be any happier with the Wolf. It’s small and lightweight, built well, but most of all it is a blast to shoot. It’s super accurate (holes through holes at 100 yards). I use Hornady 300 gr. SST, two 50 gr. 777 pellets and a Remington Kleenbore primer and this thing shoots so dang accurately I just can’t believe it. (My Wolf did not like any of the Powerbelt bullets. Those all performed poorly in my opinion) When I got this ML we had to use open sights here in MN. I put one of those Williams adjustable diopter rear sights on it and loved it. Literally was getting holes through holes at 100 yards. Since then our laws have changed and I can now use a scope so I attached a Leupold Ultimate Slam ML scope and I still get holes through holes at 100 yards. What can I say the Wolf is great.
I tried numerous combinations of bullets, powder & primers and found 1 that worked so that is what I’ve stuck with. I own about 20 guns & the Wolf ranks right up there as one of my favorites even though loading 1 shot at a time is tedious.
The only con I have is that when I carry it into the field on a sling over my shoulder.....sometimes the barrel break mechanism catches on my hunting jacket & opens up the breach and my primer falls out. Not a huge deal but a little annoying. I carry extra primers and check before I begin to hunt now that I know.
As far as what accessories to get.... those speed loader tubes to carry powder plus a bullet are handy. Get those green ones in the picture above. The other brands aren’t as good.
Something to carry more primers.
Bullet starter plus those interchangeable tips is a must. (Hornady sells one specifically for their tipped SST bullets)
Some CVA anti-seize for your breach plug is a must.
A good cleaning kit is nice to have. Your ML will get dirty and you’ll want to clean it after you shoot every time. Black powder is extremely corrosive. You’ll want to take it all apart & give it a thorough cleaning with warm water followed by some oil after you dry off all the moisture.
Also be sure to unscrew your firing pin and clean that + the spring + that whole area inside there too.

I know I’m a couple years late on replying to this thread but hopefully others will get some good info from it.

Last edited:
I am wondering what all I need to buy a CVA Wolf muzzleloader, and shoot it. I am very new to muzzleloading, and I am up for suggestions for ammo, primers, powders, and possibly even other guns/brands.
  1. Bullets
  2. Powder (I like white hots)
  3. 209 primers
  4. Cleaning patches
  5. Black powder cleaner
  6. Gun oil (Hoppes is my favorite)
  7. Game bags ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member