CVA Wolf muzzleloader

CarsonSmithElkHunter

I am wondering what all I need to buy a CVA Wolf muzzleloader, and shoot it. I am very new to muzzleloading, and I am up for suggestions for ammo, primers, powders, and possibly even other guns/brands.

I use powerbelts for bullets... I'm actually looking at switching to 209 type primers and powder that set up is cleaner and less of a PITA.

I would grab a bunch of speed loaders... at least 3, I carry 6.
1587510814111.png

A tool that holds your primers and helps you put them in a take them out. Kinda depends on whether you use #11s, 209s, etc
This for #11s, you basically fill it with primers then use it to put them on.
1587511084108.png

Bullet starter
1587511230422.png

Bore cleaner, patches, cleaning rod, etc.

If you plan on hunting with it make sure you can use it in the state that you want to hunt. Idaho does not let you use 209 primers along with a few other limitations

I have owned a CVA Wolf for several years and like it very much. It is very handy and very easy to clean. I believe the CVA breech plug is one of the best “tool less” removable plugs, just keep a little breech plug grease on it.
First some legalese, read the owners manual. All the safety rules of firearms apply with a few extra. IMO the most important extra rule is put the primer on LAST. You should never load the barrel with a primer in the breech.
Unless you really like the nickname Lefty. Also, check your state regs regarding muzzleloaders. They are all different regarding every aspect of a muzzleloader. Examples: minimum caliber, sights, scope, primer,
powder type, bullet, etc.

On to what you were asking.
My 50cal Wolf shoots great with
110gr (by volume) of Blackhorn 209
Winchester 209 primer
300gr Hornady XTP .44 hollow points
inside a black (harvester I think) sabot
The bullet/sabot combo came packaged together. I have a scope and am very confident to a max of 150yds.

My advice would be to try 777 pellets or another pellet manufacturer (if they’re allowed for hunting in your state). Pellets are super easy. And try some Powerbelt bullets too. They’re super easy as well, all in one piece. And use 209 primers (again if ok in your state). This way with pellets, power belts, and 209s, there are no tools to measure powder, no tool to apply a primer, and the bullet/sabot are one piece. Hopefully they combine to make a group decent enough for hunting.
From there you can begin experimenting with other load combinations if you’d like. Good for you branching out to another weapon for hunting.
Bonus: Now that youre a muzzleloader guy, you just learned to reload. Your hobbys are compounding.

I got my son the wolf a couple of years ago, it’s a great gun. He shoots it with 2 50 gr pellets of white hots, coupled with a 245gr powerbelt. The white hot pellets burn cleaner than anything else I’ve ever used before such as 777 and pyrodex. Definitely go with the 209 primers if your state allows and don’t forget to apply the breech plug grease on the threads after you take it out and clean it. Other tips, cut up old tee shirts for cleaning patches and run a patch through barrel in between every shot at the range. For every other shot, I also like to run a spit patch though the gun followed by a dry patch.

I would stay away from powerbelt bullets
From someone that shoots power belts, I would agree with this comment if intending to hunt large game like elk. Reason for this is that power belts tend to break apart on impact. This hasn’t been a problem on white tails so I continue to use them, but it very well could be on larger game.

I've got a wolf that I bought two years ago and have not hunted with it yet. I use white hot pellets and Hornady bullets and get good accuracy.

I really disliked that ugly plain flat black so I put some lipstick on the girl.

DSC00157.JPG

Powerbelt, on an elk 45 yards. Found it on the opposite hide.

Definitley not the performance I expect or prefer out of my centerfire rifle.

B2291AEF-2FAE-4A61-ABE6-701666320B20.jpeg

Here is a 250 grain 45cal Powerbelt sabot that I recovered from a little Arkansas doe. Came apart and didn't exit obviously.

DSC00161.JPG

Edit: My Bad! Was just out in the cave looking at some things. This is a 295 gr .50 cal. The green gas check base. Still have a few.

Last edited:
I am wondering what all I need to buy a CVA Wolf muzzleloader, and shoot it. I am very new to muzzleloading, and I am up for suggestions for ammo, primers, powders, and possibly even other guns/brands.

Unless your state prohibits you from using sabots, there is no reason in the world to use Powerbelts. They are virtually always less accurate than decent saboted projectiles, and categorically inferior in their terminal performance. I have seen a lot of rifles go from 6" groups at 100 to groups less than a third that size just by switching from Powerbelts to saboted ammunition. Barnes T-EZ are a great way to go, and reasonably cheap. Pair these with two 50 grain 777 pellets and you'll be good to go to 100 yards at least.

Your Wolf is a perfect rifle to start blackpowder hunting with. They are accurate, dependable and intuitive. No bells or whistles, but those aren't needed to learn a lot about the sport. Just make sure you clean your rifle extremely well after each range day, meaning all the way to removing the firing pin assembly, and re-check the bore the day after you clean to make sure you got a good clean on it. Took this guy with my Wolf this year while a muzzleloader costing three times as much was sitting in the safe.

49024643537_b8b74a66a7_c.jpg

Very new to it as well, but I have a Wolf and the 209 breech plug, also upgraded to a Williams peep sight. I am using 209 and Thor bullets. Their sizing kit determined my bore is actually .502, so their custom .502 bullets fit and shoot really nicely for me so far. Just something to consider if you end up having trouble with Powerbelts. Love the gun so far, it's a lot of fun to get into.

Very new to it as well, but I have a Wolf and the 209 breech plug, also upgraded to a Williams peep sight. I am using 209 and Thor bullets. Their sizing kit determined my bore is actually .502, so their custom .502 bullets fit and shoot really nicely for me so far. Just something to consider if you end up having trouble with Powerbelts. Love the gun so far, it's a lot of fun to get into.

Thors are a great way to go as well. Just be sure, when using BH209, that you use standard strength 209 primers and NOT 209 primers made for muzzleloaders- the latter aren't as hot as standard primers, and will fail to ignite BH209 reliably.

Reactions: trb
Look at your state regulations. CO is open sights only and no sabots and has some powder restrictions

Try to find a local who is experienced and knowledgeable with shooting a muzzleloader and they could probably teach you some valuable lessons in a short time...if they are willing. Beware of You-tube videos as there are some really bad ones that if you go by their "expert advise" could lead to serious issues. That being said I have never shot a Wolf or Powerbelts but I have had excellent results with a CVA Accura and Barnes sabots. Good luck and have fun experimenting.

I just picked up a Wolf myself. Looking forward to experimenting with it. Just handling it, I'm surprised by the feel of it. I know it's inexpensive, but it seems to be well made.

I haven’t shot a load out of the wolf that it did not like. Currently mine is set up with for my girls with a red dot, 60 grains of blackhorn and a 240 xtp. Barely any recoil and still devastating. I don’t let them shoot it past 60yds. I’ve shot all different grains of powder with it and its seriously never had an issue. I shoot the federal 209a primers also

I've killed a metric shit ton of deer (and a moose) with my cheap CVA Wolf. Using 209 Winchester Primer, two Triple Se7en pellets behind a 250gr Hornady SST.

I now run a fancier set up, CVA Accura V2 with Winchester 209s, 70gr of BH209 and either Hornady or Barnes projos. My CVA Wolf is my loaner smoke pole and still kills! PEW PEW!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back