MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Custom Rifles

Redraider7

Okay Gentleman, What is the best custom rifle maker currently in the US of A? Also, is there any other top quality craftsman that is up and coming or relatively unknown ?

That's a highly subjective title to bestow. It will, for certain, depend on the type of rifles that interest you. The best custom bolt rifle gunsmith to make a gun from the ground up, will be very different from the best single shot or lever action gunsmiths. And you are talking about guys that make only 1-off guns, not pseudo-mass manufactures like Kimber/Cooper/Shiloh/etc. correct?

In any event, to answer your question the type of rifle that interests you is essential.

Money and time, you're going to need quite a bit of both most likely. There are a lot of good shops all over the country. I've used a local guy, Oregunsmithing in Pendleton OR, who I've been very happy with. Sometimes that face to face interaction is worth a lot. I've also used Short Action Customs in Ohio, I've never personally met them, but I love their work. My favorite hunting rifle is the one on Short Action Customs homepage, I love that rifle.

That's a highly subjective title to bestow. It will, for certain, depend on the type of rifles that interest you. The best custom bolt rifle gunsmith to make a gun from the ground up, will be very different from the best single shot or lever action gunsmiths. And you are talking about guys that make only 1-off guns, not pseudo-mass manufactures like Kimber/Cooper/Shiloh/etc. correct?

In any event, to answer your question the type of rifle that interests you is essential.
Thanks for responding. Bolt action and no pseudo mass producers. I am talking like McWhorters custom rifles type.

Lots of great guys out there that do amazing work.

Shaen Rifles
Kampfeld rifles- Not sure if Karl is doing full builds though.
Short Action Customs
Eddie Fosnaugh
GAP
Kevin Weaver
Jon Beanland

What exactly are you looking to build?

Last edited:
Lots of great guys out there that do amazing work.

Shaen Rifles
Kampfeld rifles- Not sure if Karl is doing full builds though.
Short Action Customs
Eddie Fosnaugh
GAP
Kevin Weaver
Jon Beanland

What exactly are you looking to build?
I was just curious who did great work so I could start doing research on a custom build. Looking for a 7mm rem mag in a light weight rifle that would work well for a back pack hunter.

Take a look at Mesa Precision Arms in Grand Junction, CO. John is a good guy and they treated me well on a rebuilt I had them do on my 300 RUM.

I would throw Beanland Custom Rifles in the mix. Jon's attention to detail is second to none and he builds the best rifles I've had my hands on. I'm are many smiths that are equally as capable, but I have first hand experience with him.

I have several custom bolt action rifles by different makers, but the 4 on the right are all custom guns by Dennis Olson in Plains, Montana. I had him use Sako L46 and L57 actions, his wood and Lilja barrels. You don’t have to worry about dying of old age waiting for them to get completed...

FB9DE800-5832-4317-BC3D-9CC606C53C16.jpeg

Last edited:
Add to the list New Ultra Light Arms. (NULA)
A model 24 will weigh about 5.5lbs with Talley rings.

But nothing wrong with a McWhorter.

Actually, lots of great names on the list so far.

really depends on what you mean by custom.

I have a Nosler Custom M48 that I had made up for my specs. Although many would say its a semi-custom. I will put it up against ANY rifle built. Mine shoots .28 MOA. There isn't a better action made in my opinion.

One thing to know before you start is that a custom will likely not retain value very well if you decide to move on, whereas a "semi-custom" will.

I speak from experience lol.

No personal experience but Mark Bansner has a great reputation. I've had work done by Jason Stenger of Procision Arms. I know he does full custom builds though.

I have several custom bolt action rifles by different makers, but the 4 on the right are all custom guns by Dennis Olson in Plains, Montana. I had him use Sako L46 and L57 actions, his wood and Lilja barrels. You don’t have to worry about dying of old age waiting for them to get completed...

View attachment 192114
Man, you could charge a fee for tours of your gun safe(s). I'd buy a ticket.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back