Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Custom Loads for .358 Norma Magnum

Dan:

Weather has not permitted me to go to the range yet. Am hoping tomorrow AM will be the day. It's looking like it might not happen though. I've got back ordered from the Old Western Scrounger two boxes of Norma factory ammo in 250gr. Woodleigh SP. Should get the job done. If I can get to the range tomorrow, I think I'll have to bag the handload idea... I'll keep you posted.

Dan:

Finally got to the range yesterday and put the .358 through the paces. Not too bad on the recoil. Not a sharp sting like my 6lb .300 Weatherby! More of a dull thud. Not too accurate with the factory loads though. Of course, I can't rule out operator error either. Shoot's hight and left right now but I'm hesitant to adjust the scope further until I can get to shoot some semplance of a pattern. Will go out again tomorrow night if possible and see if it's settled down at all... At least give m shoulder another nights rest.

Also, how do I cure a flinch? I'll be alone so so I can't trick myself by not loading a shell!

Thanks... also, what's the tariff on the handloads?

No tarriff at all if they don't work.. If they do work, tell me which one and I'll send you 20 in a hurry. You'll have them in four days..

As to the flinch.... I'll explain the best way I know... Start with a bipod under the front and a sand bag under the butt. Align the windage and settle in with the rifle on the target... @#)(# the rifle without a round or with a spent round if you have one. Draw a full breath and blow it out, then draw in a half breath and start to push the trigger back with the pad of your finger... Place your full concentration on the target... and let the click of the firing pin be a surprise... actually concentrate on gradually increasing the pressure on the trigger. As you push the trigger back, start a very slow count... If the firing pin falls on the number four, then your firing number will be five.... be ready for the recoil at five... be sure to hold the rifle tightly against your shoulder without putting any pressure on your trigger finger....The truth is, the 358 Norma is a pussycat.. It doesn't have anywhere near the recoil velocity of any of the other big magnums. It shouldn't present any problem at all for you...

Try the reloads as we discussed before... If they don't shoot, then let me know and I'll send you the brass... If they do, then tell me which one and I'll send you loaded brass and a bill.....

:cool:

Dan:

Weather permitting will head out for an hour or so in the a.m. tomorrow. Will try the handloads. You should have 20 more pieces of brass if I remember.

Will let you know which worked best and perhaps I can talk Buzz into letting you send them to him in Laramie. If not, to my attention somewhere in Riverside. I'm sure we can figure something out. Won't need to get them until Monday...

Cross your fingers!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back