Current snow in SW MT.

elkocd

Going to head back over for a few days next week. I know the general area I'm going to focus on, but not sure how much snow is up high so I'm a little unsure where I'll be able to get into to. How much snow is up at 8000ft and above right now? I'm still hoping to get up pretty high looking for a bigger bull. Anyone have any current pics of any of the ranges in SW?

Depending on which mountain range you are hunting, there is anywhere between 1 and 2 feet of snow at that elevation. Most of the elk in my area are down in the valley on private.

I think it varies quite a bit.I went all the way to Cameron lake (9000ft) in the Madison range last week and the snow was not too deep to travel by foot. At the same time the Bridgers have feet and most of what I saw was down low. South of bozeman got hammered.

Thinking Beaverhead over by the ID border, but I can will be flexible. I'm sure there are a lot of elk down low, but not sure those are the ones I'm looking for. I already have a good 300" archery bull this year so it's as much about spending time in the mountains as anything else. I haven't been on a rifle hunt in about 15 years so it's going to be a re-learning, fun experience no matter what.

Southern Elk, that John Muir quote is my all time favorite and kind of sums up why I will drive the 700 miles to MT for the 4th time this year :)

Thinking Beaverhead over by the ID border, but I can will be flexible. I'm sure there are a lot of elk down low, but not sure those are the ones I'm looking for. I already have a good 300" archery bull this year so it's as much about spending time in the mountains as anything else. I haven't been on a rifle hunt in about 15 years so it's going to be a re-learning, fun experience no matter what.

Southern Elk, that John Muir quote is my all time favorite and kind of sums up why I will drive the 700 miles to MT for the 4th time this year :)

It is one of my favorites as well. Pretty much explains why I moved to Montana.

I saw a post by RMEF that they closed a hunt area near Yellowstone cause of the snow up high so I'd imagine most of the elk are probably down on private

SW MT snow is going fast the last couple days...been in the mid 40s. Whats left is crunchy or starting to get crunchy as u move up

There's certainly enough to make it tough walk around. I was in the Highlands yesterday at between 6K and 7K feet. The snow was half way up my shin in most places. Its doable, but you'll want a good pair of boots and snow gaiters.

I saw a post by RMEF that they closed a hunt area near Yellowstone cause of the snow up high so I'd imagine most of the elk are probably down on private

The GNY elk herd migration is not a good litmus test for elk behavior statewide.

Back