Crossing a unit to get to another?

Butcher

So while e-scouting some otc areas in Colorado, I came across a trailhead that is on a otc gmu but goes a couple miles into a draw gmu shortly afterwards and then back into the original otc gmu. My question (maybe dumb🤷🏻‍♂️) is if I have a otc tag is it illegal or a bad idea to use this trail to get to the otc unit? Planning on talking to the dnr also just thought I’d check here as well.

I would think unloaded gun, or teacher to pack, and hike away

I have to do that in one elk spot. The trailhead is in one area and 1/2 mile in it crosses to the one I want to hunt

You would just have to see it through the eyes of a warden. If you’re just hiking through and can explain your actions, then shouldn’t be a problem.

I've camped in a different unit adjacent to my unit but I wasn't really worried. My tag was a coveted OIL while the unit i was camped in was a relatively easy draw. Besides, you should be into your unit before shooting light anyway. The bear tag suggestion is a good one.

I felt ridiculous asking but I know some things aren’t always cut and dried as I wish they were. It won’t be with a firearm but if we do kill I for sure will take pictures and save pins. I’m planning on getting a bear tag also. Thanks fellas

I might be a little over cautious…I have done this several times. I always call the game warden first and tell them what I am doing. They always tell me that I might be required to prove (kill site GPS) that the animal was killed in the right unit. They have never followed up and I have never been stopped in the field. I don’t want all the hassle of trying to explain myself after the fact. Just how I have done it but I am sure it’s overkill.

I know I’m late to this party but absolutely it is fine to access, hike, camp, pack meat across unit boundaries, just don‘t hunt, don’t shoot, don’t load the gun (maybe even keep it in a gun sock), don’t knock an arrow, and be sure to document any kill site.

I know I’m late to this party but absolutely it is fine to access, hike, camp, pack meat across unit boundaries, just don‘t hunt, don’t shoot, don’t load the gun (maybe even keep it in a gun sock), don’t knock an arrow, and be sure to document any kill site.
This! I actually called CPW a few years ago and Checked on this. I accessed an otc unit through a draw unit and had no issues. Like said mark kill site if you get lucky and you will be fine.

I’ve done it. I know I can have a loaded firearm but I still pack away the magazine and carry unloaded.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back