MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Crossbows?

Whitetailer91

I am a whitetail hunter from Connecticut and I primarily hunt private land by permission but understand the importance of public land and wish we had more in the east. Regardless of my background here in CT our archery deer season on private land in zone 11 runs from September 15 through the end of January (it coincides with rifle and muzzleloader in November and December). The laws have just changed this year or last to allow crossbows during the archery season. I disagree with this change because of what I'm seeing in the woods... Guys don't practice and take long shots (up to 80yrds) which are inappropriate in my mind. I am a compound archer and I limit general shot to 40 yards in the deer woods 50 in the perfect conditions although I am capable of a 60 yard kill based on my target shooting. I practice often and feel that crossbows take the integrity and preparation out of archery season (although I recognize traditional archers may say the same of compound archers). Do your states and areas allow crossbow hunting? If not would you agree to allowing them during archery season, would it be more appropriate to have a separate season or allow them for those with disabilities? Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum.
Although I have my thoughts on this subject, I'm choosing to keep them to myself. I've never seen this topic end well on other forums!

I have owned a crossbow for 2 years here in Michigan but have never hunted with it but I plan on hunting with my crossbow this year. Very fast and accurate. Out to 40 yards is a very ethical shot.

Whitetailer91, welcome aboard.

If you are truly interested in the "crossbow issue" then I suggest using the search function of this website and bring up past threads. This issue has been hashed, rehashed, explored, exploded, exploited, and discussed ad nauseum. The regulations and accepted hunting with crossbows varies from state to state ... but if you bring up and read all the threads, then you will go through a wide and diverse gamut of history, facts, opinions, and also some real Hunttalk humor from your read. But set aside some time, because there is a lot there.

In Va they are legal as archery equipment just as a compound would be. A few years ago they were only legal if you had a disability of some sort. As others have said, I don't wish to voice my opinion on the matter.

Welcome to the forum......kind of a touchy subject around the entire community. I am bang bang only so I always find it entertaining to watch the bow guys get all heated up. To me it always seems to be the more "primitive" the weapon used the more the hunter feels they are in some way entitled to more and better opportunity. The archers I know in IN, where I am from, can't really come up with a good reason other than they think it is "easier" and feel that the fact that they get first shot at big bucks will somehow be diluted. I personally feel we should be doing all we can to get as many people involved in hunting as possible. Let the rampage begin...... :)

I can't wait to start using the new Airbow! Lol. Seriously.. Somebody should delete this thread.

Wow I didn't expect the outpouring of responses so quickly... I guess I stepped in it pretty good on my first post. Thanks for all the welcomes. my big complaint with the crossbows is the clientele I'm seeing at the pro-shop buying and talking about their crossbow hunting it seems some of these guys think they're shooting rifles and want to take what is in my opinion too far of a shot in areas where there aren't completely clear shooting lanes. This group may just be the people who weren't archers and want to take advantage of the greater opportunity to find huntable land with archery equipment here and just don't know better. SFC I hear you we should be getting as many people involved as possible I volunteer as a hunter safety instructor (and urge anyone else with the time to do the same). If I had a kid who was growing out of bows every week I would want to get them involved even if it was with a crossbow, and yes primitive weapons should have expanded seasons I'm drafting a petition to the state to allow me to hunt with an addle addle for six months out of the year. haha

I'm drafting a petition to the state to allow me to hunt with an addle addle
If you mean "atlatl", there was such legislation proposed in Montana for their own season. You may think you're the first to think of it ... but you're wrong. Like I pointed out ... if you are interested and it has to do with hunting, then search for it on this website ... it's already been discussed.

If you ain't holding the bow string with your own muscle power until the moment you release the arrow you are not bow hunting.

If you aren't bow hunting why would you be hunting during the bow season. Crossbows belong in the rifle season IMO.

If you ain't holding the bow string with your own muscle power until the moment you release the arrow you are not bow hunting.

If you aren't bow hunting why would you be hunting during the bow season. Crossbows belong in the rifle season IMO.

So you hunt with Traditional gear?

OK, since you asked... Here in NYS, not far from CT, they are allowed during the last week of archery season during 2015 and parts of the late archery/muzzleloader season, as well as legal in the firearms season.

I call them crossguns. Always have. Always will.

While I have no objection to their use for elders or handicapped folks, as a long time bowhunter, I object to them being allowed in archery season.

Yes, they can be used ethically and efficiently, but the people most likely to use them are uneducated in bowhunting, shot ranges, tracking of arrow/bolt shot animals, etc. They have a stock, a trigger and most have scopes and are cocked in advance - more similar to firearms than bows.

OK. My whining is done. :) I know that I'm on the losing end of this argument.... at least in this state....

I mentioned this in another thread, here in MO we changed our muzzleloader season to what is called Altenrative weapons. It's allows for use of crossbows and usually happens during the late rut. Seemed like a good idea to me. Although for this coming year they will be allowing them during regular archery season. It doesn't bother me I'll still use a compound. Compound bows are so far advanced now days I'm sure if the technology now existed when some of these seasons where made many, many years ago compounds wouldn't be allowed, so being made about allowing crossbows would be like the trad guys being made about compounds imo. As far as uneducated people using them, you can say that bout compounds, re curves, rifles, pretty much everything. To me it's just another advancement in technology, some are going to hate it, some aren't. Practice, use the weapon properly, and go hunt legally is what I say. Save the fighting for more important things like public lands, tag quotas, etc.

WI opened it up a few years back and I got my dad one for his 60th. Honestly he could have gotten one prior to that because his shoulder was shot. I think he is 3 for 4 with it with one clean miss, he hit something. It is better than what he was doing with a bow, he wounded a few the last few years he hunted. I think they are easier to get proficient with. I shipped it to my place, put it together and within 5 shots I was dialed in out to 50 yards. I would have felt very confident shooting 50 with it. You really don't need to practice like a bow my opinion.

I think it is easier to kill one with a crossbow but still more difficult than a muzzy, rilfe or shotgun.

With that I don't want them opening it up in Iowa where I live now but that is completely selfish reasons. I don't want to compete against more people. King of like how Steven Rinella jokes about not wanting more hunter participation.

I've been asked to write a few disability slips in my clinic for people in Minnesota to have a permit for use of a crossbow and I've been fair with assessing people. If I put my name on something I want it to be for a legit reason. Usually tends to be your 55-65 yr olds who talk about bow hunting for years and now simply can't pull one back, much like maxx describes for his father. As long as they sight them in and make ethical shots, not trying to take 50-60 yd shots. I believe part of bow hunting is getting them close.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back