Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Crossbows - CenterPoint Any Good?

BluegrassBilly

It's not real archery. You should just use a rifle or a compound. They shouldn't be legal during archery season. The horror. The horror. Good, now we've gotten all of that off our chests.

Kentucky allows crossbows to be used for and intermediate season length, and for my personal situation, it makes a lot of sense to get one. The problem is that I don't know where to turn for unbiased information on the things. The kids working the stores I've visited are informed on bows, but not x-bows, and the internet sources are all ad-revenue driven. With the knowledge that this forum doesn't have many (admitted) crossbow users, I trust y'all's opinions generally so thought I'd ask.

I will hunt primarily whitetail, but want it to be suitable for elk just in case. The CenterPoint Tormentor Whisper 380 seems like it's got some decent features (sound dampeners), is well priced, and has good user reviews on Amazon and Cabelas. Previous posts have mentioned Excalibur, and I like the simplicity of a recurve, but are they really worth double the price? I don't anticipate it'd get heavy use. Like most rifle hunters, I'd practice enough to make sure I'm dialed in before season, and then hopefully no more than a couple of trigger pulls on game per year.

I can't speak to any brand beyond my Mission, which I would recommend to anyone. For me the over/under on xbows are width and weight. Sure, you can strap it to your pack and have it mostly out of the way. But every other way of carrying one is cumbersome, because the limbs stick out and grab everything you pass. Excalibur recurves are the widest. I'm on the move, not in a stand or blind. Sitting in a tree, weight is less of an issue, but width probably still matters.

I bought a crossbow for my girls to use and have no complaints. I bought a Wicked Ridge Invader used for a couple hundred bucks. I looked at Centerpoints as well but I just bought what had the best price at the time. The only bow I was told by people who use crossbows exclusively was to stay away from Excalibur. Completely anecdotally but two different hunters had catastrophic failures on the limb system.

As far as western hunting, to my knowledge, only Wyoming allows crossbow use during archery season without a disability. Most states will allow them during any legal season.

I have a centerpoint sniper 370 that I have hunted with for 2 years. $240 on amazon. didn't want to spend alot on a crossbow as I didn't know how much my son would use it. The crossbow is excellent for the price. The arrows and scope (crosshair version) are adequate. The sling can be thrown in the trash. I think the bow is excellent for the price and shoots just as well as my sisters $1200 TenPoint. The fps advertised is based on a super light arrow. If you purchase make sure you buy the lightest crossbow bolts and broadheads. I went with a medium weight shaft and broadhead can't get the scope dialed down enough. Have to use the 40 yard crosshair for 20 yard shot.

Here in New Mexico we can use crossbows during the muzzleloader season so we picked up a Raven R10. Pretty accurate out to 100 yards. The specs say it's accurate to 200 yards but i wouldn't shoot at an animal at the distance. Really easy to use and has a built in crank so anyone can load it. You can also de-@#)(# the bow so it doesn't have to be fired at the end of the day. Shoots 400fps and is very compact. We bought from our local archery shop and it came set up with scope and soft case and 6 bolts. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a crossbow, it's not the cheapest but you'll never have to upgrade this one.

I bought a crossbow for my girls to use and have no complaints. I bought a Wicked Ridge Invader used for a couple hundred bucks. I looked at Centerpoints as well but I just bought what had the best price at the time. The only bow I was told by people who use crossbows exclusively was to stay away from Excalibur. Completely anecdotally but two different hunters had catastrophic failures on the limb system.

As far as western hunting, to my knowledge, only Wyoming allows crossbow use during archery season without a disability. Most states will allow them during any legal season.
I bought an Excalibur because of its recurve design and simplicity. I did plenty of research beforehand. I talked to several archery shops that sold and serviced crossbows. They informed me the lions share of Xbows in for repairs are compounds usually being misaligned cams, cable problems, bow strings and such, hardly ever Excalibur. Bowtech did have a delimitation problem a few years ago with their bows.
The pluses; Fast, simple design, consistent tack driver, able to carry a spare string and replace right on the trail (even a limb can be repaired in camp). Negatives heavy (10#) cumbersome to carry, loud. I wouldn't take a shot beyond 50 yards in most circumstances.
If I was to do it all over again I would have researched a Draw Loc for my compound as it was a mearly a temporary fix to not have to eat an tag in Wyoming before my shoulders were replaced.

I also have a centerpoint sniper 370. I don't use it a ton, but it has been very accurate. I switched out the bolts. One of the features I like about the sniper is the adjustable stock. Adding layers as the temps get colder changes my comfortable length of pull. I'm glad I purchased it. If you have questions about the specifics of the bow, bolts, or broadheads, send me a pm.

I bought a Centerpoint Sniper last year. The trigger is horrible. However I can hit a pie plate at 70 yds every shot. I put a HHA moveable scope mount on it. It cost almost half of what the rest of the rig did but I really like it.

I bought a centerpoint sniper last year. It’s pretty solid for the price. Shot a couple deer with it and a few of my buddies have also used it for deer. No complaints about it at all

I've had a Stryker 350 for a few years now, had a few warranty issues with it, but since then, none. I mostly use it when the temps are down into the teens or i'm hunting out of one those pop-up blinds. On a side note, I've had a few different individuals who work in the crossbow industry, tell me that most crossbows, doesn't matter the brand, wouldn't last more than 5 years, because of the limb design(s), and the amount of tension/force they are put under, because of the cost to repair, it's cheaper to just a new one.

My buddy has one and limbs have de-laminated twice. But warranty fixed it, but that was during season. Triggers are horrible. Another buddy bought a killer instinct 400 something? great trigger and he loves it. My archery shop pushed the mission xbows, I use a reg bow.

Thank you all for your input. My search just took on a new urgency as Kentucky just approved an expansion of crossbow season for deer. Previously, you had the first two weeks of October and then mid-November through December 31. Under the expansion, the season will run from Sept. 21 through Jan. 20 without interruption.

I think this will help with R3 efforts. I can't be the only one who has a hard time sneaking away for the three weekends of gun season (which overlap with Thanksgiving and the family obligations that go with it) and who doesn't have the confidence in my skill with a compound to achieve a clean harvest. This will give me 18 weekends to make it happen - that's a lot less time pressure.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back