Crazy weather

elk_hunter

I do live in the high desert, tucked near the Sierras, so wild and sudden weather changes don't bother me and actually keep things interesting. A few days ago, it was 60 degrees and I was setting up my archery shooting stuff. After barely getting home last night due to ice and deep snow, I got up this morning to check out the snow level - we have 32" after 3 days of storms! So I fired up the quad and towed the girls around on the tube a bit and had a blast sledding on the hill. Any crazy weather happening for anyone else? I know we had that blizzard across the midwest last week or the week before.

Attachments

• DSCN2401.jpg
    DSCN2401.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCN2413.jpg
    DSCN2413.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCN2415.jpg
    DSCN2415.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN2420.jpg
    DSCN2420.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN2421.jpg
    DSCN2421.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN2464.jpg
    DSCN2464.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 193
We have similar swings in northern Oklahoma. It was over 80 yesterday and I have a sunburn from working outside and about week ago it was -30 (not windchill) with 2 ft of snow. Both were records. Just a 110 degree swing in just over a week!

A week ago, we were in single digits. Today around 60 degrees. Most of the snow has melted and the mud has taken over. Don't drive on the road shoulder or you'll get sucked into the ditch. Bipolar weather.

Elk,

Thats a nice setup for towing the kids around. Those tracks are sweet. Glad to see others using the tube on snow instead of just water like they do around here. .

Talk about crazy weather....
We were tentative about leaving this morning for our place in Eastern Oregon for some snowmobiling. Got up this morning and check road reports and freeway closed just after OR/ID border both directions. Said the H with it and just went to work so will try for next weekend. About 1pm I took a walk for about a half hour, snow blowing in from the north and soaked. Hour later sunshine. Just Idaho weather that can change in five minutes. Why dad always taught us to be prepared when you venture into the backcountry.
Looks like your kids were having fun though..

Thanks, wyo. The tracks are really awesome. The quad was on the side of the house but I had to drive it around the back and to the other side of the house to get it up to the front. I went through 5' drifts and it was a champ. I love those tracks! As for the tube, heck yeah! The water tubes have that heavy duty outer shell and it's perfect for snow and ice because you don't pop them like you do with the super thin kiddie snow tubes. :D

Yeah, the girls love the snow. The only bad part was I couldn't find their goggles so pulling them fast and/or while it's snowing is a bit tricky. Momma wanted to go out with the girls so I took all 3 out in the tube and then later on she and I zipped through the neighborhood on just the quad to see more of the carnage. But, they were troopers regardless. The sled run I built has a curve once they get off the hill and they zoom down it and had a blast all day doing it.

It's snowing again so we'll see if we have much of any more in the morning!

2 weeks ago we had sub zero temps and this week we topped 40, and now theres a chance for 8 to 15 inches of snow tomorrow nite

Dink, sorry to disappoint but I didn't borrow from anyone in WY - do they use abbreviated tapes or something? :D Do they have "special" tapes there to increase their horn scores?

Snowed another 4" last night to bring us to 36" in just a few days. Dang I love that Grizz with tracks. That thing is a monster and goes just about anywhere. The roads were plowed this AM all the way to the asphalt so I didn't get to pull the tube. Instead we took a few rides on just the quad around the neighborhood.

There's a giant pile of snow flanking the road in front of my house and I think I'm going to scale it. Maybe post some pics or a video of it so you can see. :D

We have similar swings in northern Oklahoma. It was over 80 yesterday and I have a sunburn from working outside and about week ago it was -30 (not windchill) with 2 ft of snow. Both were records. Just a 110 degree swing in just over a week!

You had a colder temp in that winter Storm we were in the teens during the storm and 80 yesterday.

Elk I heard that area was getting pounded, my brother manages the Claim Jumper there in Reno and miss Scheels.

Scotty, yeah, we got pounded alright. But, I'm thrilled. The snow is awesome now and it translates to more water which is great too. No kidding about your brother managing CJ? My parents love that place and every time they visit, we take them out to eat there with the whole fam. Scheels is pretty fun too - especially the ferris wheel for the kiddos.

It seems like many are having wild temp/weather swings. Certainly keeps you on your toes!

Tell me about it. My mom was supposed to leave anchorage sunday AM but Minny is cancelled. Everything is either closed or overbooked going to the midwest. Maybe I should buy the minny/st.paul a snowblower to keep the runways open.

lol, well we have more than enough. about 3 feet i guess. i know we needed it though. we sure havent had much of a winter until now!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back