MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Crazy old man

mdunc8

I was out shooting my bow on a state section this evening when some old man came driving up in a truck honking his horn. He told me I was trespassing and that he was going to call his friend and the sheriff and have me locked up. I kindly pointed to the "state land" sign 15 feet away and politely told him I was fairly confident he was wrong. He agreed that it was state land, but because it was leased I wasn't allowed on that section. Again, I told him to please call the sheriff or his friend as I had just started shooting and would probably be around for another hour. No one ever showed up.

If you accesed the state land by foot via a public road, you are in the right. Almost all state land is leased and for the past several years we (outdoorsman) pay an extra fee to access those lands.

Montana. I'm not worried about trespassing. It's just my first experience of someone trying to run me off public land. I was actually hoping someone else would show up.

I've had many a confrontation over state leased lands. I had my blind up on a piece. 2 years in a row different guys showed up and tried running me off.On another hunt years before, I ran into a guy that got really puffed up about us hunting a state section. This guy sent the game warden out bright and early the next moring. We had a antelope hanging from some poles. The fella that shot it notched out the wrong month. So the game warden says we have to go into town to see the judge. I said that was fine because I wanted to press charges against his buddy for disruption of a lawfull hunt. He thought better of the ticket and handed my buddy a warning.

Several years ago my Dad, Son & I drew Antelope tags to hunt just North of Broadus. We were able to hook up with a very nice family to hunt on their farm through the Block Management Program. We took one nice buck, but everything else was a little smaller than we were looking for. We had BLM and county maps and decided to hunt some blocks of public land. I give Montana BLM credit as all of the locations we hunted we very well marked with signs that indicated when you were entering or leaving public land. That information along with the maps was invaluable for us non-residents from California. We planned on hunting on a large area of BLM property when a lady came flying up the road as we were looking at some goats with a spotting scope. She said we were on private property and she would call the Sheriff. I offered to show her the map and asked if she noticed the public land sign that she justed passed. She was very "bitchy" and told us to get lost. I asked her to please call the Sheriff and she became more irate. She then went on to tell me that she was taking care of the house and farm of a man who lived a few miles down the road and that he was in the hospital. She said she was afraid that we may be crooks there to rob his property. I politely told her to jot down my license plate number and told her what motel we were staying in. In addition, I informed her that if I was a thief I would appreciate her tip on the empty ranch house. She sped off cussing. We decided to finish our hunt on the Block Management Farm. We never heard from the Sheriff.

I have hunted all over the Western United States and have never been treated that way. I vowed never to hunt Montana again and have not been back.

Is that all it takes to make all the NR go away?? LMAO just joking, don't get your panties in a bunch.

But in reality like mdunc8 says, it happens to the residents as well. I've had the same issues in the past. Just gotta shake your head and continue on if you know your in the right.........

I was pheasant hunting a couple years back on my dad's place west of Billings. A guy stopped on the county road crossed the fence and tried to tell me I didn't have permission to be there and there was no hunting allowed.

I politely told him he was the one that didn't have permission to be there.

I've many good stories of dumbasses in the field, some hunters, some landowners. But this one takes the cake. Spitz could share the details. Bud Cahill, Livingston MT, the biggest douchebag on planet earth. The only thing that would have made the encounter better would have been if he'd have punched me. Visit his place someday.. there's a public easement going through it.

www.63ranch.com

Blue Yummies is another funny one... He's a landowner's grandson, patrolling their "neighbors place".. telling hunters to get off because he's got it leased for his outfitter buddy (Big Shooter) and their clients are showing up to shoot a hunting program in couple days, hardcore-DIY style. The extra funny stuff is they didn't even have the place leased. Wonder if the TV host ever figured that out...

I was bird hunting with a friend of mine that works with BLM one time and we came across a parcel of BLM ground that was posted. So he and I proceeded to take down the signs just as the neighboring land owner who had put up the signs pulled up. He started cussing and threatening to call the sheriff and all sorts of other stuff. Then my friend told the guy that he worked for the BLM and that the land was illegally posted and he would be happy to talk to the sheriff. The landowner proceeded to sputter some excuse and promptly slinked away with his tail between his legs.

As far as shooting weapons on State Land in Montana, the regulations say:

-Firearms may not be discharged with in 1/4 mile of an inhabited dwelling or outbuilding without permission of the inhabitant

No where in the Hutning Regulations does it say anything about Leasing of State Land restrictions.

I was bird hunting with a friend of mine that works with BLM one time and we came across a parcel of BLM ground that was posted. So he and I proceeded to take down the signs just as the neighboring land owner who had put up the signs pulled up. He started cussing and threatening to call the sheriff and all sorts of other stuff. Then my friend told the guy that he worked for the BLM and that the land was illegally posted and he would be happy to talk to the sheriff. The landowner proceeded to sputter some excuse and promptly slinked away with his tail between his legs.

That happens way to often. Nice catch! Maps are a wonderful tool.

Many years ago turkey hunting, we parked on the county road, hopped the fence to hunt Forest Service property. The landowner down the road proceeds to tell me I'm trespassing. I said no, that's FS land. He say's from the road to that fence is private. I laughed and said that's the county road right of way, and who do you think owns it? He says it's private dating back to the old homesteader days. I laughed and said let's call the sherrif. Next weekend, there's No Hunting signs posted all along the road. I went to the FWP office and told them....they actually asked me NOT to hunt there as it's a really sensitive area????

Following weekend I shot a turkey about a mile from the guys place. I later hear from my aunt who asks me why I shot a turkey out of the guy's front yard. Apparently they were telling everyone around town that. THEN...about 3 years later...his damn wife tries to argue about it with me at my grandmother's funeral.

I hear people all the time talk about what great people they are.....I'm like are you friggin serious? Everytime I drive by his house I get pissed!

BRI,

Wasnt there more to that story....when you talked with two-tounged Thomas?

I really cant believe that guy had the stones to argue with two guys that work for the FS...including one that worked ON THE DISTRICT where the FS land was located.

That turkey was a lonnnnnnnggggg way from that landowners front porch, and probably farther from the porch than most of the rams he's guided his rich dude clients to...laffin'.

Is that all it takes to make all the NR go away?? LMAO just joking, don't get your panties in a bunch.

But in reality like mdunc8 says, it happens to the residents as well. I've had the same issues in the past. Just gotta shake your head and continue on if you know your in the right.........

No, I agree not to let one instance of an ass ruin a hunting opportunity. I guess I am a little bullheaded. You think? My point is. I drove several thousand miles to enjoy a hunt with my father and son who had just finished an 8 year tour as a Navy Corpsman with a Marine detachment. My plan was for an enjoyable, relaxing hunt with three generations of family members. It would be my son's first Antelope hunt. Needless to say that little altercation took a lot of fun out of the hunt. Maybe I will come back to hunt Montana someday.

Buzz - Yeah Bill Thomas was the one who asked me not to hunt there. He said they just didn't know how many turkeys were there and killing one might damage the population. So I told him about the 8 toms we saw opening day, and offered to show him pictures of 50+ birds on that place. I guess in the end he won though when he told them if they didn't close the season, he'd never allow another sheep hunter access across his place. 2 years later they closed that entire area.

My dad and I were driving on our ranch and run into a group of guys in camo comming our way on the same road. We roll down the window and start a friendly chat until they mention that they have permission from so and so to be hunting on the place. Then my dad kindly let them know that he was the so and so and that it was strange that they had never met nor had he given them permission.
Also had another situation where the so and so was some guy from who knows where.
Mdunc8-that would have been priceless to have it on camera when you point to the sign. Wish I was there with you.

Sunrise opening morning in my treestand.I had a nice buck pegged and it was just a matter of time. I heard something coming and figured it was go time. Out pops this guy.He looks up at me and come's right over to the tree and tells me to get lost I don't have permission to be there. I informed he was right when I bought the land I failed to ask the bank manager permission to hunt my own land. He did not say another word. I however said plenty ask I walked him back to his car. As a side note you would be amazed how fast you can make it down a tree from 22 feet with a summit climber. What usually take about 5 minutes took about 3 seconds that day.

I've many good stories of dumbasses in the field, some hunters, some landowners. But this one takes the cake. Spitz could share the details. Bud Cahill, Livingston MT, the biggest douchebag on planet earth. The only thing that would have made the encounter better would have been if he'd have punched me. Visit his place someday.. there's a public easement going through it.

That was priceless! The guy was so irate and jerked a cell phone out of his pocket as though it was a gun. We still need to walk up the creek to where he stocks it with trophy trout for the Dude Ranch, set a chair up and fish some nightcrawlers just to even the score.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boxcutter223
Back