Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Crap... Broke my .270 stock

Ttannahill14

Well I'm in the middle of a house move and when moving my .270 from garage to its final storage place in my safe, the sling somehow failed and the rifle fell off my shoulder to the concrete and the end result is my stock is cracked right behind the trigger up the the back of the bolt.

Worth having a gun smith fix it, if even possible? What am I looking at on cost?

Or just upgrade the stock. Anybody have a cz use 550 stock suggestion? I'd prefer composite, the pretty wood always made me nervous out in the field, ironic that I break it in my own house.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Bell and Carlson makes a good stock for under $300. Your cz will drop right in and you will be good to go.

Surprised it broke like that. I have seen rifles get dropped before but never seen that kind of break.
Spend the money and get a quality replacement,some of the low end replacement stocks are not worth there low cost.

Boyds make an excellent laminate stock and you can get in some nice brown colors that will be very attractive AND tough as nails.

I did that once to my M77. My gunsmith was able to do a quality repair for me for $70. Couldn't even tell it was broken if you didn't know to look for it. I used it that way for years. It broke at the same areas yours did but all the way through.

Boyds make an excellent laminate stock and you can get in some nice brown colors that will be very attractive AND tough as nails.

I'll second that but say you if you want to get the most out of them you need to install pillars in them. I also bed all of the actions in my center fire bolt action rifles.

I've been drunk enough to climb into the mouth of a live volcano, jumped outta perfectly good 'copter at 5000', clocked a BIG,Bad Harley Brute, for copping a feel on my GF. Hell, I've even asked the prettiest girl I ever met for a date, in front of her date......

But, I Never broke a stock, no matter how hungover I was !

Dude....You're my Hero! :)

I'll second that but say you if you want to get the most out of them you need to install pillars in them. I also bed all of the actions in my center fire bolt action rifles.

I agree completely. I would pillar and glass bed the stock if it was wood or a laminate. Very smart man that Tufrthnails! If I went synthetic it would be something like a B&C stock with the aluminum bedding block and I still would skim bed it or have my gunsmith do it.

I agree completely. I would pillar and glass bed the stock if it was wood or a laminate. Very smart man that Tufrthnails! If I went synthetic it would be something like a B&C stock with the aluminum bedding block and I still would skim bed it or have my gunsmith do it.

haha thanks man not sure how smart I am it took me quite a while to figure out the extra effort was well worth the results!!!

Thanks guys I dropped it off at the gunsmith this morning he made it seem like it wouldn't be too difficult to fix.

Hopefully he can fix it up, if not I'll prob go all out and buy a McMillan ha. Always wanted one of those.

Good luck with the fix, I hope it works out. I recently bought a Boyds stock for a Savage 22 that I used for making holes in paper and making steel ring! While its a well made stock, looks pretty with the laminations and is a drop-in installation; it also weighs a LOT! For my use, it isn't an issue. However, for a hunting rifle that you may carry all day, better to look for a MUCH lighter option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back