Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Craigslist to Connect With Landowners?

FairWeather

I’m trying to connect with local landowners to ask permission to hunt turkey on their property. I’m wondering if anyone has tried putting an ad on Craigslist to find contacts, and if so what was your experience? Where on Craigslist do you post it: For sale? Housing? Community?

I’ve tried leaving letters in mailboxes, and calling the few phone numbers I’ve managed to find. All have gone unanswered. Knocking on a stranger’s door seems really intrusive, and I know I hate people I don’t know coming to my door, so I haven’t tried that yet. I’m hoping there’s a less intrusive way to connect with landowners.

I think Craigslist people would only want money. I sent out letters this year to get access. It is far and few who reply but every once and a while you’ll get lucky. Keep trying. It might take some time but you’ll get something eventually.

Before value was put to wildlife it was easy, the whole hunting movement and eating organic meat is making things tough. There is no going back but the people that were successful at selling it will now have money for access and for landowner tags and the people that are new to the game will sit and wish they could do it. No easy answer keep knocking on doors and you might get someone backwards enough to let you go.

I’m trying to connect with local landowners to ask permission to hunt turkey on their property. I’m wondering if anyone has tried putting an ad on Craigslist to find contacts, and if so what was your experience? Where on Craigslist do you post it: For sale? Housing? Community?

I’ve tried leaving letters in mailboxes, and calling the few phone numbers I’ve managed to find. All have gone unanswered. Knocking on a stranger’s door seems really intrusive, and I know I hate people I don’t know coming to my door, so I haven’t tried that yet. I’m hoping there’s a less intrusive way to connect with landowners.
Knocking on doors is the way to go. Treat folks with respect and if you don’t want to feel intrusive then offer to help them out with some chores or whatnot.

Wyoming Craig's list has many listing for hunting, landowners in Colorado list spots for trespass fee hunting and I see ads looking for access. Not sure if any get traction but they are there.
I would make calls and knock on doors myself.

I’ve seen a lot of ads for hunting leases offering big big money. It’s hard for the average joe shmoe to compete with that! There are some who would rather see you personally rather than see your Ben Franks’s though. And there are some who will just be happy you’re a local fella. My best luck has been when the folks I’m looking to ask are already outside. I wait for this moment, sometimes it takes a year but eventually you drive by when they are out and about.. This is God presenting you the opportunity. Lol seriously. It’s in the comfort of their living space, but not so intrusive they have to stop the dinner or dishes or soap opera to tell you to kick rocks. Catching them outside has worked everytime 100% for me so far.. knock on wood

I'm not trying to bust your chops but I can tell you the last thing a farmer wants to deal with right now is a turkey hunter trying to get permission. They are getting ready for field work if they haven't started, if they have started they are trying to find parts for for their latest breakdown to get them going again, they have cows that are calving all hours of the night, and they are trying to repair or build fence before they put the livestock out on pasture. Farmers are running from sunrise to sunset and most likely beyond this time of year. You'll probably have better luck asking in February or March when things aren't quite as hectic on the farm.

Around here most of the farms are fruit, tree nut, sheep, cattle, and grass farms. Not sure what their spring season work entails, but I’m sure it’s a lot. I was thinking that turkeys can be a nuisance to many as they love to peck at equipment, so I was figuring people would be eager to get some off their property. That may not be the case though.

Would hanging flyers at the farm & feed stores and butcher shops get better reception you think?

For clarification, my letters/voicemails don’t outright ask to hunt their property, rather I introduce myself and offer to meet up in person to have a conversation about potentially hunting their land. That’s pretty much what I would put on the flyer too.

I'm not trying to bust your chops but I can tell you the last thing a farmer wants to deal with right now is a turkey hunter trying to get permission. They are getting ready for field work if they haven't started, if they have started they are trying to find parts for for their latest breakdown to get them going again, they have cows that are calving all hours of the night, and they are trying to repair or build fence before they put the livestock out on pasture. Farmers are running from sunrise to sunset and most likely beyond this time of year. You'll probably have better luck asking in February or March when things aren't quite as hectic on the farm.
This is why I like going around now, plenty to offer a hand with and it’s led to some awesome friendships (and quite a few dead speed goats)

I’ve used Craigslist here and there and had some limited success. These days, I think you try everything. Although on CL I would offer something in return - either labor or cash. Even if it’s not much, at least it’s something.

Knocking on doors for a face to face conversation to gain access private property has been the best tool for this old hunter. If you acquire permission ask what the rules are. Then, stick to the rules. Best if access is granted. But, if not a person lost nothing. If access is granted you have made a friend. I get in touch with land owners annually. In the spring or early summer before hunting season has started. I give the land owner all my information. It works. MTG

For me I have found the best ways to connect with landowners is to connect with the community.

Volunteering, community trash pick ups, picnics, church events if you are religious, local non profits, hanging around the areas you like regularly, visiting the same local diners regularly, being drunk on the same corner regularly, etc. I have made some great connections, and friends, this way. One guy stocks his remote cabin with my favorite beer and I now stop there regularly on my fishing trips. Other folks share local wildflower seeds/bulbs with me for my conservation project. I don’t see why this wouldn’t work for hunting access as well.

I suppose I’m getting that from what I’ve seen them do to vehicles I’m the parking lot of my work. There’s people getting their car’s paint, hubcaps, and headlights pecked and scratched up every day. Sadly you can’t hunt on college campuses, so I can’t kill those birds. Figure they’ll peck at a car anywhere if it’s shiny enough, even on a farm.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back