Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Cracked Scope?

ElkHunter11

I just bought this Vortex Viper HST and loved shooting with it at the range. I was cleaning my gun and checked the scope and found what seems to be a crack. I tried cleaning off both lenses but it didn't go away. If I adjust the reticle zoom, the "burr" travels with the twists I make. I know I can send it in and have them replace it with no questions asked. However, I have an elk hunt in a month and don't want to deal with the hassle of getting a new one and re-zeroing. My question- does this look like a crack or just dust that got in the lense? If it is a crack, will it get bigger when I shoot again? My gun is a .300 win mag and the scope is mounted on standard leupold 30mm rings and the standard leupold windage base. The "burr" is on the mid-bottom right in the lense.

image.jpg

Yeah the picture doesn't do it justice. It's not right on the lense, rather inside the lense; I just can't tell if it's a dust particle or something serious. I'm going to the range on Sunday, so I guess we shall find out if it is a crack after shooting several rounds (I would assume it would grow larger if it is a crack).

Call them, turnaround time is usually a week maybe 10 days even with shipping. If u got it mail today...... that way your not concerned. You said you just bought it what about a return/swap?

C

They don't do returns or swaps. And they don't pay your shipping to get their broken stuff to them. mtmuley

this guy at vortex has helped me out and answered lots of my questions. see what he thinks. might not get it fixed before your hunt but he might put your mind at ease.

Travis
[email protected]

Call them, turnaround time is usually a week maybe 10 days even with shipping. If u got it mail today...... that way your not concerned. You said you just bought it what about a return/swap?

C

I bought it from Bass Pro. With having the scope in my possession for under 1.5 weeks, I will be calling Vortex to explain the situation and hopefully can do a swap at Bass Pro with Vortex's approval (*if the burr grows any larger). I have been talking to a Vortex rep who has been great to deal with (Ken Calhoun) and he stated the burr should not get any larger and will not affect the scopes performance. If this holds true, I might just wait till after hunting season to deal with it as it does not impede my line of sight/focus/etc. Will let the forum know the outcome.

You must be a Leupold fan

Haha yeah I've seen older posts with Muley talking about Vortex (think he had a faulty spotter right out of the box?), but hey, to each their own. Even with this "burr" or whatever the hell it is, I love the scope and clarity of the picture downrange.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back