CPW director on leave after complaint of racist comment

Good example of where context means everything. If I see something out if the ordinary and say "well that's queer" it has absolutely no hint of a negative connotation and is used in its original definition......unless you are wanting to find failt in it

Nothing to do with first gentleman.
Thanks, and sorry for the implication, definitely missed her (possible) involvement with the decision.

Next time I'll remember the first rule of the internet - search Google before posting.

This is actually an interesting side point, spending the last few years in a liberal arts department I've noticed the word queer has done a total 180 in the past year or so. I was in a lit seminar discussing the work of the author Ocean Vuong and everyone was calling him "queer" but me. I'm like no sir, the straight white guy who kills deer over Christmas break ain't stepping on that landmine.

I had to adjust to it but it was apparent pretty early on that that's now a much more accepted and widely-used word. I felt weird referring to a gay person as queer out loud, probably hadn't said the word in fifteen years.

Yes, you're still on HuntTalk, sorry for the unexpected diversion
Yep, I could use that word around another person who is gay/queer and they might take offense...the best way is just not to use it at all :)

What a mess. It would seem to me she gave the agency plenty of reason to dismiss her but I’m guessing it won’t happen

I am very close friends with two cpw employees (one male and one female) and my opinion from what I hear on a regular basis is that cpw has got to be one of the most disorganized and poorly run agencies I've ever seen or heard of. When any workplace is rife with that amount of animosity and resentment towards one other - especially at the management and upper management levels - these types of situations shouldn't be surprising to anyone. A person in a powerful position slips up and says something that sounds bad but was likely not intended to be, and an employee jumps on the opportunity to absolutely roast him? She has a legitimate reason to be upset over what was said, but if things weren't already bad within the organization I think we could have seen a formal apology being all that was needed to correct the mistake. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the feeling I get from hearing other stories about Colorado Parks and Wildlife from their own employees.

I am very close friends with two cpw employees (one male and one female) and my opinion from what I hear on a regular basis is that cpw has got to be one of the most disorganized and poorly run agencies I've ever seen or heard of.
In CPWs defense have you ever worked at a public agency... like what's your baseline for disorganized lol

But yeah I agree I get that vibe as well.

i'm just still so befuddled by the sheer ferocity and swiftness of the allegations swirling around this whole thing.

one admittedly very distasteful comment, though also seemingly made without ill intent and ignorance turned into like 10 very serious allegations against multiple people, some hardly even involved in any way, in a matter of like 12 hours.

it's like they had their 10 item long preloaded list of very serious allegations made for years with [insert name] and were just looking for the slightest reason to unleash it.

In CPWs defense have you ever worked at a public agency... like what's your baseline for disorganized lol

But yeah I agree I get that vibe as well.

So I've worked for 3 different government agencies at the county level over the years (all in Colorado), and while working for one county I was subcontracted to work closely with a colorado public utilities company and the USFS under their supervision for various projects over the course of about 5 years. All of this was in Colorado, so that's my baseline I guess. Of all of those, the public utility company (Denver Water) was by far the worst I had to deal with from a workplace culture standpoint, and the USFS was the worst from an organizational standpoint. Two of the counties I worked for were very nice places to be employed, very organized and respectful of their employees at all levels.
One county was not as great and I decided not to work for them very long.

A lot of great people work for cpw don't get me wrong, but from what I have seen and been told they could use a bit of a change in workplace culture and overall organization.

I've read 5 pages of our back and forth opinion.......boils down to...when in public, say nothing, joke nothing, pre-plan your public presentations and stick to script (learn from our fading President). When in private....chose your tribe. If you are a public figure, corporate leader - every comment and behavior is canned or pay the price. Learn to not be dependent on another for your job or your contracts, and you will have less to lose. The best advice can be found...where else, but in the Scripture...Matthew 5:37 'Let your communication be Yea, Yea and Nay Nay.'

So I've worked for 3 different government agencies at the county level over the years (all in Colorado), and while working for one county I was subcontracted to work closely with a colorado public utilities company and the USFS under their supervision for various projects over the course of about 5 years. All of this was in Colorado, so that's my baseline I guess. Of all of those, the public utility company (Denver Water) was by far the worst I had to deal with from a workplace culture standpoint, and the USFS was the worst from an organizational standpoint. Two of the counties I worked for were very nice places to be employed, very organized and respectful of their employees at all levels.

A lot of great people work for cpw don't get me wrong, but from what I have seen and been told they could use a bit of a change in workplace culture and overall organization.

when was it you had to deal with denver water?

i get the opposite vibes from denver water more often than not.

workplace culture is also pretty subjective. half the peeps in an org may think there could be no better place to work and the other half may think there is no worse place to work.

i've worked for two state agencies and neither were necessarily worse than one would expect as far as state agencies go. a particular one was definitely far more full of people just chillin behind a desk waiting for retirement, the other was definitely more full of people with passion.

I worked for a county and CGS. The county was great, CGS felt like a time machine to 1978.

when was it you had to deal with denver water?

i get the opposite vibes from denver water more often than not.

workplace culture is also pretty subjective. half the peeps in an org may think there could be no better place to work and the other half may think there is no worse place to work.

i've worked for two state agencies and neither were necessarily worse than one would expect as far as state agencies go. a particular one was definitely far more full of people just chillin behind a desk waiting for retirement, the other was definitely more full of people with passion.
I dealt with DW from about 2011 until 2016, helped develop and maintain some of their recreation sites while working for the county they were in.

You're totally right, it's all very subjective. Usually it's easy to pick up on which agencies or departments have a healthy atmosphere and which ones are toxic environments.

I worked for a county and CGS. The county was great, CGS felt like a time machine to 1978.
Maybe Denver Water and the CGS use the same time portal. That's kinda the same feeling I got from them, one department in particular was the biggest good ol' boy club I've ever seen. Think guys literally cat calling women jogging by while they were working...

Maybe Denver Water and the CGS use the same time portal. That's kinda the same feeling I got from them, one department in particular was the biggest good ol' boy club I've ever seen. Think guys literally cat calling women jogging by while they were working...

culture can definitely be hugely different across departments. especially at a place like denver water. or even oil and gas.

the corporate culture wouldn't even be recognizable, understandable, or relatable to the field crews and vice versa. a bit true in my org too, not a lot of relatability across those different groups.

During my stint we were allocated funds to purchase and deploy computers to the entire staff. So I imaged 30+ machines when I got to the accounting/pay roll comps I was literally handed an 8in floppy an USB adaptor and told to install the payroll software. 🤯

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back