CPW Commission updating 80/20 allocation

My rough summary:

Residents have wanted a higher allocation for years.
We gave options that are still far more generous to NRs than other states.
Residents chose the options that gave (at least some) more tags to residents.
The 75/25 is a good compromise between the interests of residents and nonresidents, so that's what we'll recommend.
Oh and we passed the buck on the big game season setting re: OTC.

My thoughts:

Where was the 80/20 option? Or even 75/25 but also increasing the high demand allocation to 90/10, per the other option residents were choosing. Someone scared of what the results would be?
Why is "compromise between resident and nonresident interests" how they are making this decision? At least couch it in how your responsibility is to residents...

Their poll choices were 75/25 across the board or 90/10 high demand and 65/35 regular. I knew we were sunk when it came out. The 75/35 is going to hose high point Rs saving up for the diamond hunt codes, but will result in quite a bit more opportunity. It would be worth the effort to check to make sure there are not any weird quirks with a 75/25 allocation in low quota units with the 10%+10% LPP and hybrid.

I think they are saving the OTC discussion for the 5-year season structure.
Will this be put in place for the 2023 draw

As someone who just moved away from Colorado and will be paying the NR fees moving forward…I think it comes down to the money. Face it CO probably has more tree hugging non-consumptive users (not in a derogatory way) than most western states that pay little of anything into the conservation pool. And yes I think that CO is more than generous to the NRs that hunt there, but I’m sure that will change in the near future.

Depends on your perspective, but going 75/25 across the board seems pretty lazy. I don't have a problem with the allocation breakdown per se, however, I prefer the high demand/low demand unit allocation differences. It will be interesting to hear feedback from some high point holding residents.

Back