Caribou Gear Tarp

Coyote Shooting Justification

I will shoot them anytime I see them. When I am in Western states I actually will go out of my way to spend a little time trying to hunt them because it is really hard to get them called in Here in WI. Not sure why, maybe we just have less of them but calling is nowhere near as effective here.

Coyotes are one of the most resilient animals around. They have been poisoned, shot, bounties, etc and still exist in large numbers. They have expanded anywhere there is a food source including within major cities. While I don't hold hold the same ideas as GH about shooting them, I don't have a problem with people shooting them. I spoke to a Fish and Game official and was told there is no illegal way of killing coyotes in Montana and the numbers have still increased. I was told at one time that the last animals on this earth will be ants, rats and coyotes. It almost makes sense.

Spitz, no comment on the episode we had with the running coyote on Saturday? :D

15 rounds and still not a drop of blood... My shooting skills suck. :(

I enjoy killing coyotes. I'm sure the main prey of them are rodents and probably not deer, however they're one more thing to hunt when no other season is open. I can say I've only legitimately passed a shot on maybe two or three in my life.

I guess I am a little more pussified in my ever increasing age. I agree with the philosophy of respecting the life of the animals we shoot. I do shoot my fair share of Montana Coyotes but I do it when their hides fetch a few bucks to cover my bullet loss. I can say that I am a better shot than that freak who calls himself Greenhorn, cause I have never shot more than 5 times at the same yote, let alone 15. Crap are you still shooting that 300 UltraMag? That's must have cost you 50 bucks or more to shoot that many times at a coyote. By the way how ya been Greeny? And good choice in topic for discussion.

P.S. Greeny if you don't remember me, just think Nortel and alleged night time lion hunter. You'll figure it out.

I can't WAIT to put the .22-250 hammer down on a yote!!! yeah!
This year, next year, ANY year!!!
They eat a lot of mice, rats and rabbits.
They also have an impact on Deer and Pronghorn herds.
Especially when the fawns hit the ground and when the snow is crusted.
I don't know if they have bigger litters when there are fewer of them or not, but I am going to try and make sure they have that chance!!
Later
Foghorn

Tanglefoot, 15 shots with my 300 would have cost me a new barrel also. I was using a .223, AR-15 - and the scope was WAY off.

Even out here on the left coast we get quite a few songdogs patroling. The rancher where I hunt would get on his knees and worship me if I ever managed to pop one on his property -it's just not so easily done because of how crafty they are.
Last year I watched a pack of 6 spook every blackail deer and critter out on an entire 2 mile-long drainage... for three weeks afterward that area was like a damn graveyard, not even a quail or bluejay to be seen. I didn't buy a deer tag so I could share what I'm hunting with whatever predator wants to terrorise the countryside.
I don't love killing any coyote, but I'm more than hoping that it dies real quick after I pull the trigger if and when I finally decide to shoot one. If I see one mousing or chasing grasshoppers, I'll usually leave it alone. But if I catch one or more chasing all the deer out of the countryside, that's when I start setting up for them... even in the middle of a hunt. In fact I make it a priority. Might as well because the deer hunting's gonna suck for quite a while anyhow.
Took a pop at one last September in the same canyon I described earlier. The rangefinder crapped out about 675 yards, so I knew I had to hold over at least 20-25 inches. He stopped trotting right at the edge of the brush to check something. When the rifle came back down out of recoil, a big puff of dust was hanging in the air exactly where he was standing. Suprise, Deerspooker! Hopefully he's still laying there 2 feet inside the brushpile.
I usually would never take long distance potshots at any animal. I made an exception for this guy and his buddies as a way of personally thanking them for chasing each and every deer out of my favorite canyon. This "fellow predator" stuff only goes so far.

Dave,

If I understand you right you held over 24 inches @ 700 yards?

If that's the case, you are either shooting a lazer beam or have a 625 yard zero.

yeah, that's a flat shooting magnum. Is it a turret-mounted 50 cal? :D

My 300RUM pumped up with powder and a super high bc bullet drops roughly 5 feet at 650 yards. Sighted in 2" high at 100. 4 feet at 600. 3 feet at 550 and 2 feet at 500.

If you have something against killing coyotes, try walking up on a fresh(new born) calf that is being eaten alive by a yote or dog. We calve about 1800 calves a year and I shoot, poison, run over, anything I can to kill the dogs!!!

The lions are no better, probably worse on the big game.

yeah, that's a flat shooting magnum. Is it a turret-mounted 50 cal? :D

My 300RUM pumped up with powder and a super high bc bullet drops roughly 5 feet at 650 yards. Sighted in 2" high at 100. 4 feet at 600. 3 feet at 550 and 2 feet at 500.

What load are you using? bullet? Powder? I loaded some barns X 125 gr. for my 300RUM but they were going too fast. I had to go up to a 150 gr. nosler balistic with, I THINK- 100 gr. of 4831sc. I will check when I get home.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back