Cow Moose in the Snowies - Still looking

Corax

I realized that I was going to be using a walker to get around before I drew a bull moose tag. So I cashed in my 5 preference points for a cow tag in Wyoming Area 38/41 (Snowy Mountains). I hunted the second week of October. While I saw droppings, had only one sighting, at about 500 yards. This was in the Pole Mountain area East of Laramie. Next week I go back for another try, and plan to focus on the Snowy range. Lots of Google Earth scouting and trying to figure out how I will hunt the various drainage. So far the plan is to glass from the slopes overlooking the creeks.

I have been reading the moose hunting posts - any suggestions would be welcome. Wish me luck. Thanks.

I realized that I was going to be using a walker to get around before I drew a bull moose tag. So I cashed in my 5 preference points for a cow tag in Wyoming Area 38/41 (Snowy Mountains). I hunted the second week of October. While I saw droppings, had only one sighting, at about 500 yards. This was in the Pole Mountain area East of Laramie. Next week I go back for another try, and plan to focus on the Snowy range. Lots of Google Earth scouting and trying to figure out how I will hunt the various drainage. So far the plan is to glass from the slopes overlooking the creeks.

I have been reading the moose hunting posts - any suggestions would be welcome. Wish me luck. Thanks.

I cashed in my points last year, and drew a cow tag. I hunted the same area (snowies) I concentrated on the Pelton creek area. That's where the Laramie wardens suggested I hunt. Lots of moose in that area. However, I hunted for 8 days straight without seeing a Cow without a Calf. I finally connected in the Fox Park area.

I saw at least 5+ Moose a day, the key is having an ATV, getting far off the main roads, and proceeding on foot from the trails end. I saw lots of BIG bulls. I also turned in a guy for shooting a Cow that had a Calf at it's side.
I guess they caught the guy, I hope so. The Wardens never contacted me with any information about the case. Talk to the Wardens in Laramie, they are a wealth of information.

I cashed in my points last year, and drew a cow tag. I hunted the same area (snowies) I concentrated on the Pelton creek area. That's where the Laramie wardens suggested I hunt. Lots of moose in that area. However, I hunted for 8 days straight without seeing a Cow without a Calf. I finally connected in the Fox Park area.

I saw at least 5+ Moose a day, the key is having an ATV, getting far off the main roads, and proceeding on foot from the trails end. I saw lots of BIG bulls. I also turned in a guy for shooting a Cow that had a Calf at it's side.
I guess they caught the guy, I hope so. The Wardens never contacted me with any information about the case. Talk to the Wardens in Laramie, they are a wealth of information.

Thank you. You have identified a bunch of stuff I need to be doing. I am not an ATV user, and I am hunting too close to the road. Worry over the pack out is not helping. I have talked to the wardens in Laramie, and have been hunting the northern edge of the MBNF, plus the Wick-Beumee area to the North. The wardens did identify that finding a cow without a calf was going to be the biggest issue. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks again.

I'd look at the south end of the range, in the Douglas Creek area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back