Cow Elk Hunt unit 72 Jarbridge NV

broncridingirl

far enough Nor Cal to avoid traffic and people
I've drawn my first elk tag, a cow tag for Sept 17-25 in unit 72, Jarbridge Wilderness NV. Super excited and would love any and all advice. We will be camping just outside the wilderness with horses, probably at Camp Creek, and riding in each day. We have 4 cow tags in the group, so it would be amazing to get into a good herd and get a couple down at once.

I've been looking at weather and seems like it should be pretty mild still, but obviously I should be ready for some weather to come in.

I see on past threads that its a good idea to talk to the biologist in Elko, any specific questions you recommend I ask beyond trends and/or herd location or information they might have?

Thanks!!

Expect lots, and I mean lots of competition especially coming in at the portion of the wilderness. Be in the best shape you can possibly be and be prepared for all types of weather. The bio answers hundreds of calls a year and will give you the same generic response as she does with everyone. The website has decent starting info. Elk are all over that unit but will be pushed further into the wilderness than you would think. Enjoy the experience, it's a special place!

I've drawn my first elk tag, a cow tag for Sept 17-25 in unit 72, Jarbridge Wilderness NV. Super excited and would love any and all advice. We will be camping just outside the wilderness with horses, probably at Camp Creek, and riding in each day. We have 4 cow tags in the group, so it would be amazing to get into a good herd and get a couple down at once.

I've been looking at weather and seems like it should be pretty mild still, but obviously I should be ready for some weather to come in.

I see on past threads that its a good idea to talk to the biologist in Elko, any specific questions you recommend I ask beyond trends and/or herd location or information they might have?

Thanks!!

Expect competition at Camp Creek. Outfitters will setup horse camps there as well, although the muzzleloader bull season will basically be over by the time you get there. You'll also have competition from backpack hunters. I know one group who will be going in that way as well. I may too, depending what I see scouting. I have the mid season 72 tag though. Remember there is a wilderness only hunt going on at the same time.

Kari (the biologist) gets hundreds and hundreds of phone call being the elk and deer biologist for the area. If you can get her on the phone, which I haven't been able to this year, ask very specific questions and have a map handy. If you ask her where elk will be, she will tell you a mile or two away from people and roads.

Weather is always up in the air for an area like that. Hope for crisp fall mornings where the bulls want to let out a bugle. As Blake said, it's a special place that time of year.

The Jarbidge is rough country, especially in the wilderness. Be prepared to work for it even after getting in on horses. Send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Good luck in the Jarbidge. Let us know how your hunt goes. Please post some pictures if you get a chance thereafter.

Keep an eye on the South Sugarloaf fire. NDOW is recommending hunters stay out of the area, because the fire is being driven east towards the area

From Facebook 8/26/2018

Nevada Department of Wildlife

1 hr ·
Update on the Sugarloaf Fire burning in Northern Elko County: The USFS is now recommending hunters leave the Jarbidge area. Due to extreme wind, fire behavior and smoke, the fire is at times moving up to 10 MPH. This is now affecting hunters in 071 and 072. It is still too smoky for air suppression around much of the active fire. Please be safe and stay out of the area.

They have now closed the forest east to O’Neil Basin, which includes unit 72. The closure said through Sept 30 unless lifted before. I doubt it would last that long but you never know.
Definitely do your homework, map work and ask specific questions. The USFS map is good, they will mail you one if you call. Also USGS topo maps are good once you narrow down your area. Camp Creek will be a busy area for sure. As mentioned be in the best shape you. I sure hope the fire doesn’t get anywhere close to there. Good luck!

From Inciweb today...

Current Situation

Total Personnel
Size
232,859 Acres
Percent of Perimeter Contained
44%
Estimated Containment Date
Saturday September 15th, 2018 approx. 06:00 PM

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on it. The containment date worries me a little bit, because its the day I'm planning on leaving. Sure hope they open it up before then so I know what I'm driving 12+ hrs with a horse trailer for. I'm assuming that even if it is still closed they wouldn't refund my tag because other parts of unit 72 will likely be open, ie BLM. Is it worth the drive if I can only hunt the surrounding BLM ground? Hurry up and wait I guess.

I don't think it's even reached the west side of the Wilderness. they're just being very cautious, as when the fire does run they can't stop it, but it's started to cool off here so they should have a better chance of containing it.

From Inciweb 8/29/18

Current Situation

Total Personnel
Size
237,801 Acres
Percent of Perimeter Contained
83%
Estimated Containment Date
Saturday September 15th, 2018 approx. 06:00 PM
Fuels Involved
Brush (2 feet); Tall Grass (2.5 feet); Timber (grass and understory). Fuel types include sagebrush, grass, aspen and conifer stands.
Significant Events
Moderate to active fire behavior, slope driven runs along with active backing and flanking. Interior islands actively burning.

NDOW closed the area due to the fire....750k acres burned up so far.

NDOW did not close the forest. And 750k have not burned on this fire.

The USFS closed the 754k acres of that portion of the forest. The BLM portions of all the units are still open.

I imagine things should open up soon. The containment date is just when they expect to call it out and release the fire to the locals.

Good luck to all. I had an archery bull tag for 061/071, but had to turn it in because of some stuff that popped up. Pretty glad I did, but feel bad for those that got burned out.

The closure order says:

Forest Service Expands Area Closure in Advance of the Growing South Sugarloaf Fire

Release Date: Aug 26, 2018

Contact(s): Erica Hupp (775) 355-5311; Naaman Horn (702) 515-5413

Elko, NV., Aug. 26, 2018 – Due extreme fire behavior and the continued growth of the South Sugarloaf Fire, the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest closed 754,448 acres on the Mountain City-Ruby Mountains-Jarbidge Ranger District. The new area closure, which goes into effect today, closes additional areas to the public that are not safe to enter due to the active fire behavior and fire suppression activities.

The entire area formerly known as Mountain City and Jarbidge Ranger Districts are closed for public safety. This includes all campgrounds, roads, trailheads, and trails are closed west of Forest Road 753 (Oneil Basin area), north of U.S. Interstate 80, and east of Elko County Road 785/Nevada State Route 226, and south of the Shoshone-Paiute Tribes of the Duck Valley Reservation boundary line.

Campground close are Jack Creek, Big Bend, Wildhorse Crossing, Pine Creek, and Sawmill Campgrounds. This closure also effects Nevada Department of Wildlife’s hunting areas 061, 062, 071, 072.

This closure will remain in effect until the Forest Service determines the area is again safe for the public. People who are found guilty of violating this closure order could receive a maximum fine of $5,000 or six months in jail or both.

The signed closure order is posted on the Forest’s website at https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/htnf/alerts-notices. For information on the South Sugarloaf Fire, visit: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6166/.

Better news just released on Inciweb...

Effective immediately all of the voluntary evacuations have been lifted.

Aircraft including helicopters, SEATs ( single engine air takers), and Super Scoopers where used to help crews in their suppression efforts. There is approximately 2-15 miles of un-contained line in the northeast portion of the fire.Crews are actively working to protect unburned fuels within the larger burned area. This protects wildlife habitat, live stock forage and an important seed source.

Suppression repair crews have been working in the north and western portions of the fire. Additional assessments are being conducted along other portions of the fire. Suppression repair consists of repairing damage created by suppression efforts. These repairs will minimize erosion and restore conditions to pre- fire drainage patterns.

Closures: The Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest implemented an Area Closure for the South Sugarload Fire area, including all roads and trails, which will be in effect until rescinded by the Forest Supervisor. The full closure order and map can be found under the Closure tab on the South Sugarloaf Inciweb page or www.fs.usda.gov/htnf

Forest closures are being evaluated on a daily basis.

And even more good news just released...

UPDATED - Forest Closure Order #04-17-18-17
South Sugarloaf Fire Wildfire
Closures – 48 min. ago
With the increased containment of the South Sugarloaf Fire, the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest is now able to reopen some of the closed area on the Mountain City-Ruby Mountains-Jarbidge Ranger District. The reduced area closure goes into effect on Thursday, August 30 at 8 a.m.

The new area closure includes all National Forest System (NFS) lands west of Forest Service Road 067 (Bruneau Canyon Road); north of County Road 732 (Jack Creek); east of Nevada State Route 11; and south of the Shoshone-Paiute Tribes of the Duck Valley Reservation boundary line and Idaho border. Campgrounds that remain closed include Wild Horse Crossing and Big Bend.

On NFS lands, Nevada Department of Wildlife’s hunting areas 061 remain closed, southern portion of 062 is now open; northeast portion of 071 is now opened, and 072 is fully opened (See Map). Hunters are welcomed to hunt on BLM lands in any of those units.

This new closure will remain in effect until the Forest Service determines the area that remains closed is safe for the public. The agency will continue to revisit the closure with the South Sugarloaf Fire’s Incident Management Team on a daily basis to see if additional sections of the closed area can be reopened. People who are found guilty of violating this closure order could receive a maximum fine of $5,000 or six months in jail or both.

The signed closure order is posted on the Forest’s website at https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/htnf/alerts-notices. For information on the South Sugarloaf Fire, visit: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6166/.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back