cow elk hunt in Colorado

Flatlander 1

I'm looking for a DIYS cow elk hunt in Colorado for the fall of 2010. I'd like an over-the-counter tag but have no idea where to start. I don't have a problem with hiking/ walking to get my cow, so any unit will work for me. With so many units open to hunt, I'd like some input as to where I might find a good opportunity to start.

Flatlander 1 are you a resident and does it matter where in Colorado depending on where you are coming from?

No. I live in Kansas. Just about anywhere would be fun for me to hunt. This would be one of those "once in a lifetime" things for me. Just don't have the money for a fancy hunt and to be honest, would rather do it on my own anyway.

No. I live in Kansas. Just about anywhere would be fun for me to hunt. This would be one of those "once in a lifetime" things for me. Just don't have the money for a fancy hunt and to be honest, would rather do it on my own anyway.

Check out the Montrose area. I have had friends do this type of hunt in the area SE of Montrose with great success. My nephew just shot a cow elk this season in the Ridgeway area. Good hunting!

I went on my first elk hunt to Colorado in October. DIY, OTC tag, public land. I was in unit 28 NW of Denver. I purchased maps form the Colorado DOW with migration routes and summer & winter ranges
for the elk. As well I purchased a map with the public & private land areas of the unit. Both were very helpful. I was able to take a nice 6x5 bull. I saw plenty of elk as well as plenty of sign so the elk are there, you just have to work to find them! Good luck to you!

Ok guys, quick update...just got my topo map in the mail and another map is on the way. Got my area pinned down for my first elk hunt in Colorado. Gotta say....Cant wait!

Next question.... Any ideas on what kinda of boots to wear? Kansas is flat so my boots don't get much up/ down action.

Bad Boots will leave you with black big toe nails. Buy them early whatever brand and break them in well before you need them. Good Luck! John

Flatlander, I to am going on a Colorado DIY public land hunt for the second rifle season. I have traveled to hunt before but never to the western states. Lots of questions. Lots of Land. All Exciting. If you or anyone else has any tips I would be greatful, as well if I can answer anything, I'll do my best. Good Luck.

pat2522, this is all pretty new for me so I don't know how good my tips will be. I've gotten a ton of good info from the bureau of land management though. I started there and have just gone on and on. Everyone has been great when requesting maps to hunting sites.

Let me know where your going to hunt. Maybe we'll run into each other this fall.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back