PEAX Equipment

COVID Family Vacation

Sasquatchewan

Being in the Canadian Army, I had been restricted to a 250 km radius from my home since March due to the Pandemic. This had put our planned family vacation to a halt but a week before we were originally scheduled to leave in July, the Forces changed their policy and we were now free to travel again. My very understanding boss approved my leave so my wife and I started planning our vacation again. Booking hotels/motels between Saskatchewan and Quebec was painless considering no one was really travelling. We started our 35 hour journey and finally arrived to Quebec a few days later. We didn't do much the two weeks we were there other than seeing family due to COVID. One thing I did get a chance to do was fish. Went on a few outings for trout and bass and had some good success jigging for lakers. Overall, we came home with 9 pounds of lake trout which I smoked and have already aten a good chunk of!

The one day we went for lake trout, we caught 8 jigging within an hour. We only kept the legal fish and stopped after catching our limit, we spent the rest of the day trolling for rainbows and salmon.

9CX4RuB.jpg

sQCN1wJ.jpg

On our drive back, we encountered a pretty friendly doe. It walked right up to us and ate most of my sunflower seeds. Turns out, this deer was a regular at the hotel we were staying at and had been visiting them for quite some time. The deer had a healed broken leg which is probably why it was so docile. Definitely one of the cooler moment of our trip, like most hunters, I am amazed by these animals and it was great to see from up close and touch a wild live deer.

KvbmuqA.jpg

r5aWIyR.jpg

A few weeks back, I had bought a pricey Cabela's cooler. I used to make fun of guys who bought expensive coolers until I started hunting far away from home, with time and experience, I changed my mind about expensive coolers (and guns and optics and boots, etc). I decided to put this cooler to the test and filled it with ice and 15 pounds of bear sausage for the family. I left it closed in the back of my truck for the whole four day drive the in July heat. We arrived at my in-laws with half the sausage half frozen and the rest still ice cold. I called up my brother and split the sausage between him and the in-laws who were very happy to eat free-range-organic-Saskatchewan-bruin sausage. On my way back home, I did the same with the lake trout and some delicious Quebec cheese. We arrived home with partially frozen fish and in the brine it went! The following day consisted of smoking the fish, finishing unpacking the truck and drinking beer, not a bad way to end my leave.

8mrMFkY.jpg

sbr27Nz.jpg

This trip reminded me how much I missed fishing, since I had moved West, I had concentrated more on hunting than fishing. I do prefer hunting but I think this was the kick I needed to get back into fishing in the off season.

My fish brine is pretty simple; 4 pints of water, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/2 cup coarse salt, cayenne pepper and peppercorns to taste. Bring to a boil, mix all the ingredients. Then I add 2-4 pints of ice cold water to speed up the cool down, mix and let rest until room temp. Brine the fish overnight, wipe the fillets dry (very important) and load in the smoker.

I own a cheap electric smoker, nothing fancy. I built a box for it in order to keep the temps up. I prefer "moister" smoked fish so I don't leave it too long in there. I wrap it in waxed paper, vacuum seal it in portions and freeze until ready to eat. I do more or less the same for jerky.

SzeyXpP.jpg

I'm jealous !! Both of my walleye trips to the Chibougamau, Quebec area were canceled due to the border closure. My waterfowl trip to Saskatchewan planned for late September isn't looking good either. I really enjoy the drive out to Sask. !! Happy to hear your family had a good trip. The lake you were on looks a bit like Magog ...

I'm jealous !! Both of my walleye trips to the Chibougamau, Quebec area were canceled due to the border closure. My waterfowl trip to Saskatchewan planned for late September isn't looking good either. I really enjoy the drive out to Sask. !! Happy to hear your family had a good trip. The lake you were on looks a bit like Magog ...

You know too much already, Vermont may or may not be behind that island in the background. Also, the lake name may or may not start with Memphre and end with Magog...
I grew up in the Eastern Townships, spent a lot of time in Maine, NH and Vermont!

I also feel your pain, I have five Wyoming/Montana tags (with possibly a 6th once pronghorn results come out). I feel my chances of hunting those tags are getting slimmer day by day. Oh well, more hunting in other provinces I guess (which honestly is still pretty good)...

Another reason to move north

I keep saying it guys, we're full!!! ;)

Back