Covid and NonResident licenses - help bear hunters

BrentD

I've got an elk tag pending with WGF. It has all my preference points riding on it, as well as the tag fee. It is worth a lot to me. Between now and May 8, I can pull it back out of the lottery. Should I?

Here is what I'm wondering. WGF just sent out a note about a week ago saying that spring bear season was still on, but they would work with nonresidents somehow - they didn't say how, but rather said to call them. I don't have a bear tag, but I wonder what that call was about.

They have also said, that if you are coming you have to plan on a mandatory 14 d quarantine before hunting (isn't hunting quarantine enough?). A 14d quarantine may also be required upon coming home, depending upon your state.

Well, I can't afford 6+ weeks of time for an elk hunt if these same rules stay in place and it is not clear that they will refund (money AND points) in the fall if the CV19 issue still exists. Should I pull out of the draw now?

I'm curious what other nonresident wannabe Wyoming hunters might be thinking? And I would love to hear from nonresident spring bear hunters what your options are right now.

I’d like to hope we’re closer to normal by fall. On the other hand, I’d hate to wager a stack of preference points on it. Tough call. I’m not much help.

My app is staying in. There are about a dozen virus-related reasons that could result in me not being able to hunt the tag (if I draw) come time to do so, so it’s a gamble. WY might refund the cost under their health refund rules. My scouting trip is unlikely at this point. I’ve also given up on the idea of having set dates to take vacation and go hunt. I’ll go as early as I can if the going is good, or wait as late in the season as I have to if maybe things improve as the season progresses. I’m modifying my app/plan to accommodate a wider range of hunt dates for this purpose. If the rules for self-quarantine are the same then as they are now, I’d consider my stopping for nothing except gasoline to be in compliance. Living out of my truck or camping in the middle of nowhere seems like it wouldn’t draw any complaints. I follow the news and guidance from WG&F and I’ll call to get clarification later if I need to regarding any ambiguities.

I'd like to hope for the same, but knowing the math and watching the politics I don't see that happening. This could be seriously ugly for seriously longterm. That's why I would like to hear about the deals that WGF are making with spring bear NR hunters.

I just saw an email from WG&F sent an hour ago “Hunting Update” that offers some guidance. Check your inbox, Brent.

Also, on the legislative side of things for outdoor commission, I had luck getting a hold of state senator Anselmi-Dalton [email protected] if you want to reach out to get info on discussions regarding this stuff. Might not be the most useful right now though, as executive branch is in the driver seat with most of the pandemic stuff right now.

I've got an elk tag pending with WGF. It has all my preference points riding on it, as well as the tag fee. It is worth a lot to me. Between now and May 8, I can pull it back out of the lottery. Should I?

Here is what I'm wondering. WGF just sent out a note about a week ago saying that spring bear season was still on, but they would work with nonresidents somehow - they didn't say how, but rather said to call them. I don't have a bear tag, but I wonder what that call was about.

They have also said, that if you are coming you have to plan on a mandatory 14 d quarantine before hunting (isn't hunting quarantine enough?). A 14d quarantine may also be required upon coming home, depending upon your state.

Well, I can't afford 6+ weeks of time for an elk hunt if these same rules stay in place and it is not clear that they will refund (money AND points) in the fall if the CV19 issue still exists. Should I pull out of the draw now?

I'm curious what other nonresident wannabe Wyoming hunters might be thinking? And I would love to hear from nonresident spring bear hunters what your options are right now.

Cant help much on your decision, but I can tell you how they're going to deal with the tags.

License review board on a case by case basis.

Brent I think you would be okay. I'm thinking Wyoming will be pretty easy going compared to the area you live in. I would hope testing will be more of a option for everyone by this fall. I also think that if things are going to be locked down again you should have plenty of free time like everyone else.
Trying to second guess what the government will do would drive me crazy. Good luck!!

And what are th he criteria they are looking for?

Hard to know until we figure out what's going on with covid19, restrictions that may be in place regarding travel, whether to hold over tags until the following year, what the commission may decide, etc. etc. etc.

I'm rolling the dice and applying everywhere and even if I have to quarantine for 14 days in another state...I'll have 500-600 hours of leave by the time hunting season rolls around to make it work.

I sure hope there's relief to the current situation...good luck with your decision.

This is why I pulled my dad out of the draw in CO. Didn’t want to potentially use his dozen points and not be able to go. Certainly your choice, but my choice was to just plan a different hunt that I wanted to try anyway that only the cost of the tag is on the line and not so many preference points.

Brent I think you would be okay. I'm thinking Wyoming will be pretty easy going compared to the area you live in. I would hope testing will be more of a option for everyone by this fall. I also think that if things are going to be locked down again you should have plenty of free time like everyone else.
Trying to second guess what the government will do would drive me crazy. Good luck!!
Dan,
Iowa is far more laid back than WY. We have no 14d quarantine rule for instance.

Strange times, strange games.

Wise move if you're sitting on that many points. Anyone got reports on how the winter was in WY?
Depends on where you were. It was brutal in the south central part of the state. There’s a lot of dead pronghorn laying in the sagebrush around Rawlins right now.

I have confidence under the circumstances of the season was delayed, postponed, canceled, etc., wildlife agencies would be understanding enough to reinstate points and refund application $. If you’re not as confident as me, buy a point.

I’m not getting any younger, never drawn shit in 35 years.......I’m sending everywhere.

I have confidence under the circumstances of the season was delayed, postponed, canceled, etc., wildlife agencies would be understanding enough to reinstate points and refund application $. If you’re not as confident as me, buy a point.

I’m not getting any younger, never drawn shit in 35 years.......I’m sending everywhere.

I'd like to agree with you but states are getting really broke really fast, and Wyoming isn't being very straight up with the spring bear guys from what I can see.

I should be clear, I’m talking about moose sheep and goat, not deer and elk. However, I’m on year 18 for a ND mule deer permit, so I’m not exactly drowning in deer tags either.

Last edited:
I'd like to agree with you but states are getting really broke really fast, and Wyoming isn't being very straight up with the spring bear guys from what I can see.
What is the state of Wyoming doing?

Cannot envision a situation where any hunter will lose points if onerous critieria are in place to hunt (like a preQuarantine.

How many points you have should be part of your deliberation. If I still had max points I would never miss a draw with those given it can still be a challenge to draw a top tag and never know when you might pull a great low random draw number..

Low points, no big deal, fling them into the draw....no great loss if do get jereked around.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back