Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Covid-19 Data, Models, References - NO DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Because the have been insulted by the US for the last 3 years. How? Make sure everything they make is sent to somewhere other than the US first. China has zero problem sending PPE, masks, reagents for testing, actual tests, and anything else that is asked for to any European country, sometimes at a discount rate (if not free, but can't confirm). So your last question is the answer. China plays the long game. As you suspect, they are building trading relationships with the rest of the world. While we try to reduce our reliance on China, they are trying to reduce their reliance on us. Covid-19 is a good example of how this is happening, but people are too focused on case numbers and deaths to care. Never let a good crisis go to waste.

I still don’t see how the US keeping the mask in the US hurts China or would provoke them to retaliate. Would it not actually help China sell their masks elsewhere since we’re no longer competing with them? I could see a case for that action offending some other country, but I fail to understand that China is the angered party. I’m not a trade expert.

I still don’t see how the US keeping the mask in the US hurts China or would provoke them to retaliate. Would it not actually help China sell their masks elsewhere since we’re no longer competing with them? I could see a case for that action offending some other country, but I fail to understand that China is the angered party. I’m not a trade expert.

You act like an expert on everything, over think everything, and cant keep your yap shut.

You have 2 ears and 1 mouth...try using them in the right ratio, for the sake of everyone.

I can assure I know your type, trying to have a conversation with you would be impossible. Instead of listening to the other person, you're busy formulating your reply.

Give it a rest...and try to look through a lens other than your own.

Media produces what people read/watch - if folks looked the other way then the media would find something else to publish to get attention. If people feast on fear mongering they will get more of it. If they turn it off it goes away.

That’s how it works for company’s that rely on income from the news to stay afloat. Unfortunately an awful lot of the news media gets their income from other businesses who then use the media, not to provide a service and receive an income, but to promote their agenda. Does not AT&T own CNN? I know Disney owns ESPN, and has a political agenda. Does Disney own any media outlets? Bezos owns the Washington Post...I doubt he bought it purely for the profitability.

You act like an expert on everything, over think everything, and cant keep your yap shut.

You have 2 ears and 1 mouth...try using them in the right ratio, for the sake of everyone.
Thank you for addressing the post you quoted. I now understand.

I’m not an expert on anything. I’m more a jack of all trades and master of none. That’s doesn’t mean that I don’t like to research things and think them through on my own. My personality is such that I don’t like other people making my decisions regardless of their qualifications.

If an expert can’t convince me of something they might be wrong. I don’t take many people at their word.

That’s how it works for company’s that rely on income from the news to stay afloat. Unfortunately an awful lot of the news media gets their income from other businesses who then use the media, not to provide a service and receive an income, but to promote their agenda. Does not AT&T own CNN? I know Disney owns ESPN, and has a political agenda. Does Disney own any media outlets? Bezos owns the Washington Post...I doubt he bought it purely for the profitability.
They are largely publicly traded companies that for the most part disclose segment profitability. If they subsidized unpopular content for political reasons Wall Street would hammer them. Bezos owning WP is not different than Murdoch owning Fox - and in the end, Murdoch and Bezos care more about money than media bias. If Fox lost Murdoch big money he would sell and move on, or change the content.

They are largely publicly traded companies that for the most part disclose segment profitability. If they subsidized unpopular content for political reasons Wall Street would hammer them. Bezos owning WP is not different than Murdoch owning Fox - and in the end, Murdoch and Bezos care more about money than media bias. If Fox lost Murdoch big money we would sell and move on, or change the content.

Pre-Trump wasn’t CNN losing money hand over fist yet doubling down on their unpopular content? I couldn’t get any deeper than that without investing more time than I have at the moment, and could be wrong on the CNN thing as well.

It doesn’t. China is not angered by that and 3m is arguing about sending masks to Canada. The demand for masks worldwide exceeds supply. The highest supply comes from China.

Pre-Trump wasn’t CNN losing money hand over fist yet doubling down on their unpopular content? I couldn’t get any deeper than that without investing more time than I have at the moment, and could be wrong on the CNN thing as well.
I read one study that suggested CNN didn't tack left fast enough and lost a lot of viewers to MSNBC - but who knows. But in the broader sense I am comfortable with my earlier points on this sub-topic so will leave it there.

I'd consider decades to be hyperbole. The other end of the spectrum from the president saying the economy will bounce back very quickly.

If you can trust this administration to be honest and competent,, they said letting the virus run its course would result in as many as two million deaths. Their goal is keeping it under 200k lives.

So you're down with 1.8 million more deaths so that it's business as usual?

Not hyperbole by a long shot. How long did the Great Depression last? What very significant event had to take place to end it?

I don’t trust any numbers from the administration, do my own research, and come to my own conclusions. Not sure why more don’t do the same.

I would pay a monthly subscription for a media source with global reporting abilities that report the facts; who, what, when, where, etc.

I haven’t lived in a house with cable, satellite, etc network television in 20 years and I’m only 29 years old. Every time I go somewhere that Fox or CNN etc is on, I feel like I’ve likely saved millions of brain cells and a few dozen IQ points because of it.

I would pay a monthly subscription for a media source with global reporting abilities that report the facts; who, what, when, where, etc.

I haven’t lived in a house with cable, satellite, etc network television in 20 years and I’m only 29 years old. Every time I go somewhere that Fox or CNN etc is on, I feel like I’ve likely saved millions of brain cells and a few dozen IQ points because of it.
So doing the HT by phone then? Gotta ask. mtmuley

If you ignore their opinion pages, WSJ, BBC and The Economist do a decent job in my view. Or better, read both sides and choose for yourself. A website called www.allsides.com posts 3 links together for key topics & news - leftish, rightish and middleish - let folks mix the biases and reach their own conclusion.

I bought a TiVo 20 years ago. Never watched live tv again. No commercials, no political ads, no daily “we just discovered a secret killer in your home, more at 11 on WYZZ Channel 4”. A blissful 20 year tv experience. Even sports, I would start watching the recording game about 90 minutes after kickoff/tipoff and would skip all the commercials and halftime bs and see the game just as it ended in real life.

Super hard. Every device and every site is tracking what you click on. It doesn’t take your phone long to know more about what you like than you do. You have to make an effort to seek answers to questions without going down the “links” rabbit hole. It’s quite a game.

It doesn’t. China is not angered by that and 3m is arguing about sending masks to Canada. The demand for masks worldwide exceeds supply. The highest supply comes from China.

Again, I’m lost at why you mentioned China in the context of the issue. If they aren’t angered, why mention them as a country that is able to retaliate. They have no reason to. Can Canada legitimately retaliate? If so, great let’s be careful. If not, why was the mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back