Could this be why Ithaca is MIA?

BigHornyRam

More than 100 people attend environmental activism camp

DARBY - Likening themselves to the patriots who raised a ruckus by dumping crates of tea into Boston Harbor two centuries ago, more than 100 environmental activists are camped in the Bitterroot National Forest backcountry this week, practicing nonviolent civil disobedience.

By the time they break camp Sunday, the assemblage will be well-versed in tactics both traditional and contemporary: filing lawsuits against unpopular decisions, sitting in trees to prevent their cutting, blockading roads and doorways, writing letters to newspaper editors, diffusing angry opponents.

Then the activists will take their message cross-country, protesting what they believe is an assault on the national forests by President Bush and his political appointees.

"All the way back to the Boston Tea Party, protesters have used acts of nonviolent civil disobedience to paint a picture for the people," Greenpeace organizer Jackie Downing said Tuesday. "A tree-sit serves the same purpose; it paints a picture."

Downing was on belay, pulling herself up a rope and into the crown of a ponderosa pine tree. Instructor Lynn Stone watched from below, ready when needed with words of encouragement or caution.

"We stay nonviolent and safe," said Stone, who grew up in Lexington, Mass., and lives now in Maine. "We use these tactics when all others fail; we use them appropriately.

"When I do a direct action, I do so proud to be an American," Stone said. "It's not a right that people all over the world have access to. It's a freedom I cherish."

If the colonists had called a press conference to decry the British tax on tea, their protest would never have made the history books, she said. By disguising themselves as Indians and sneaking aboard ships, they drew attention to the issue in a manner that every American schoolchild knows by rote.

So, too, do environmental activists need to grab the public eye, said Andrew George, who spent Tuesday morning teaching "environmental organizing" to a group of 20-plus activists circled around a campfire.

"The media is what this is about," he said. "One by one, our civil rights are being taken away. This is what's left - the most traditional, mom-and-apple-pie way to show your patriotism: by engaging in acts of nonviolent civil disobedience."

An organizer for the National Forest Protection Alliance in Chapel Hill, N.C., George told how he and others staged protests at Staples, Home Depot, Lowe's and other large retailers, in an attempt to convince them to stop selling products made from timber collected in national forests.

It's an effective technique, he said, "because these stores don't want protesters hanging from the rafters."

It's also the oldest form of democracy, George insisted. "It's the protest spilling over into the marketplace. It's what the Greeks called agora - the marketplace of ideas."

"Clearly, it is important to have people who draw attention to these issues in these very public ways," said Matthew Koehler, whose Native Forest Network occasionally participates in sidewalk rallies, but more often testifies at public hearings, writes comments for public hearings and files administrative appeals and lawsuits.

"We need all these tools," he said. "No single form of protest is enough."

The weeklong encampment, sponsored by Greenpeace and the National Forest Protection Alliance, is testimony to the sad state of the nation's environmental affairs, said Scott Paul, forest campaign coordinator for Greenpeace in Washington, D.C.

For the past five or six years, Paul led a campaign intended to stop the importation of endangered wood products from overseas - an effort which eventually resulted in a halt to mahogany imports. Now Greenpeace is looking closer to home, at the U.S. Forest Service and its management of the national forests.

This summer, Greenpeace will send one of its notorious activist-piloted boats to Alaska to draw attention to unwanted logging in the Tongass National Forest. "We'll use the ship as a platform for delivering our message - to draw attention to the issue," Paul said.

So, too, will the protests that result from this week's training camp shine a light on practices and proposals the environmentalists abhor, he said.

But they will also provoke counter-protests.

The Bitterroot National Forest, its West Fork Ranger District and western Montana media have received a steady stream of complaints about the training camp in recent days, most from local residents wondering why the Forest Service would allow the encampment and why the protesters are not considered "eco-terrorists."

West Fork District Ranger Dave Campbell gave the group a permit to use the campsite - which is about 40 miles southwest of Darby - and has fielded many of the resulting complaints.

In an e-mail sent to the Forest Consensus Council, Campbell explained: "So why issue a permit to a group that intends to practice techniques some feel are in opposition to national forest management? It's America, land of the free. We are free to express our opinions and to assemble with others. The proposed activity on the permit contains nothing illegal. The applicants have complied with all of our rules and regulations in applying for the permit and have supplied us with information we have requested. The process, and indeed the area, is the same we have used for other groups: church groups, family reunions, etc."

As he gave visiting reporters a tour of the camp Tuesday, Paul said neither the camp's 40 instructors nor its 70 students are "into breaking laws."

"We're into peaceful, time-honored types of nonviolent protest," he said. Trainees will spend part of every day in climbing class. One afternoon will be devoted to various types of blockades - to the tactics that successfully kept logging trucks out of Idaho's Cove-Mallard roadless area in recent years.

On Wednesday afternoon, the camp will talk about the media. They'll learn backcountry first aid and orienteering. They'll practice how to remain calm when confronted by angry detractors. They'll learn about healthy forests legislation due for a vote in the U.S. Senate during July.

"Some of these tactics are a last resort," said Mateo Williford, a Greenpeace activist from San Francisco and supplier of the solar panels that provide electricity for the camp. "But these days, we're getting down to our last resort."

Environmentalists sit in trees and block access to forest roads because it works, he said. "When someone climbs into a tree and says, 'You're not going to cut this tree because I'm sitting in it,' the tree doesn't get cut."

Don Muller said he's counting on the power of direct action. A bookseller from Sitka, Alaska, and one of the few gray-haired students at the camp, Muller said environmentalists are desperate to stop the Bush administration from logging the Tongass National Forest.

"This is the largest remaining continuous temperate rainforest in the world," he said, "and it is under a death threat from the Bush administration."

Most recently, administration officials proposed exempting the Tongass from roadless-area protection.

"If every American could see the Tongass and southeast Alaska, they would be outraged to think the Bush administration wants to log it," Muller said. "Those of us who live there are working hard to protect these places for all people and not just for the timber industry."

Will he sit in a tree to stop a timber sale? "Absolutely," Muller said as he readjusted his climbing gear. "I see myself and other Alaskans and other Americans sitting in trees and successfully protecting them from logging. Absolutely. We must."

In Virginia's Jefferson National Forest, "70-year-old grannies are learning how to sit in trees," George said. In Alaska, Muller intends to teach everyone who's willing and able to do the same.

"They can take away our right to appeal or to file lawsuits or to participate in forest management, but they can't take away non-violent direct action," Muller said. "That's how this country began. It's at the very heart of who we are and how far we will go to protect the places we love."

Reporter Sherry Devlin can be reached at 523-5268 or at [email protected]

Paul,

Great article, thanks for posting it. It seems that Sherry Delvin writes a lot of articles in this topic. Kind of like Rocky Barker does for the Statesman in Boise.

It sure makes the local paper more readable to not just have wire service stories about executions in Texas or Tobacco suits in North Carolina.

The old and the new ,

"By disguising themselves as Indians and sneaking aboard ships, they drew attention to the issue in a manner that every American schoolchild knows by rote."

ROFLMAO
By disguising themselfs as hunters and sneaking around hunting forums ,they are drawing attention to the issue in a manner that every american -----------

That cracks me up----and how do you think those freak's got up to that camp spot?
Sure hope they didnt use any paper product's ,or wear leather.
How do they get around the issue of butt wipe?
Either way they have to use a little piece of nature,and the unprocessed butt wipe (pine cone)

eek.gif
could get mighty hard on there soft behind's LOL

Hey Paul you might be on to something ,
I saw this in one of the Boise paper's .

"Boise Man to teach class on leave no trace camping and how to infiltrate the hunting forum's"
How to use the john in an invironmently friendly manner,leave little trace ,and smell like spring while you
Fertilize the grass , clean your butt & and it all washes away after a rain-------
then the picture as they practice scooting around on there butt like a dog.
eek.gif
eek.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-26-2003 09:19: Message edited by: Muledeer4me ]</font>

paul was it you who said he [ithaca] was a wolf in sheep`s clothing? mmm made me think a very good possability, if he`s sitting in a tree in arizona he just might get his ass burned, since there are fires everywhere, and a big part of the blame seem`s to be falling on the anti`s who stop logging etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> and a big part of the blame seem`s to be falling on the anti`s who stop logging etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>...or maybe our misguided forest practices for the last 80-100yrs of putting out fires when the start?

Pointer,

Right or wrong, overwelming public perception is that the tree huggers are to blame for the mess we are now in. Joe citizen around these parts is tired of the games these people are playing. I think some of these folks need to get a job. Their games are angering most people, not solving any of the problems, and costing them any support from rational, enviromentally conscious Americans. The tree huggers need to come up with a new game plan if they want any main stream support. If they don't want any main stream support, then their game is over.

Paul

Paul,

You need to get out more.... I would like to know where your "overwelming public perception is that the tree huggers are to blame for the mess we are now in" comes from. The "overwelming public perception" that I see is that mis-management of the Forests for the last 80 years caused this problem. That is the one that gets debated in Congress and in the Media, from what I see. Maybe you have missed all those discussions...
frown.gif

The article discusses Greenpeace, and they get tons of support from "main stream". And they have been very effective at changing the way people treat our natural resoruces. I don't think "their game is over". I love watch the little "made for TV" clips of the guys in the Zodiacs, harassing the French Ships as they try and dump barrels of waste into the Ocean. It makes for great drama.
eek.gif

As I have said before, it takes all points of the spectrum, and if you have extremists, then the moderates like me become much more palatble.
wink.gif

Paul- I agree totally, that groups need to work for widespread public support. IMO, sportsmen, on average, have been doing a piss-poor job of it and that will end our hunting seasons before any predators will. We can't change the minds of the anti-hunters, but we need to keep in mind the non-hunters. I also agree that many of these org. have lost my support with blind, blanket practices that form no solutions, but only bitch. However, there are some REALLY good ones (one of which you are a secretary of) that I feel are doing a great job.

1-Pointer,

You are smoooooooooooooooooooooth...... in a fence-mending, can't we all get a long kind of way....
grouphug.gif
Able to bring the far ends of the discussion to some common sense middle ground...
smile.gif
Kudos to you, and even more important, Kudos to the fact you care.

But, I still think you need the Extremists, in order to allow for the definition/finding of the middle ground. I don't support EarthFirst at all, but the fact they are out there, makes the middle of the road, multiple use ideas that I support be more accepted.

And I agree, Hunters do about the worst job of creating positive public opinion. The goals of many environmental organizations are completely compatible with hunting, and yet, look how many people in SI recoil at the thought of the idea.

This is a great discussion; I would really like to see the rally grounds after these people get all done "Being one with nature". It has been shown time and time again that this particular mindset group leaves the biggest piggish mess of any group that uses the woods…
I think it is very unfounded that these people liken themselves to the people of the Boston Tea Party, those individuals were risking every thing including their own lives from the crown to put on the insurrection. These clowns that are putting on this farce rally are risking nothing but some good times and fun. They put nothing on the line, not even their freedom most of the time, and if they lose this it is only very short lived.
I will say this for these goofballs that think they are saving the world by the tactics (Tack Ticks for Buzz
wink.gif
) they are using,
!They can justify any thing they want to in their own minds! but it still makes them very uneducated about the whole picture of "Sound" environmental practices, "Sound" economic uses of our lands, and "Sound" common sense judgments that are needed to keep every thing running smoothly.
For these people to liken themselves to our forefathers that risked every thing is nothing more than a big joke and they have not studied our history much past the highlighted headers at the top of each subject in the history books enough to pass their history lessons, they hold no candle even in the slightest and are only but an empty shell, to the founders of this country, and to allude to such is nothing less than grade school children trying to build a functional rocket to go to the moon. One needs to sit back and look at the whole picture before they in good faith have any right to throw rocks, this includes the things that these people and any one that fully believes in what they say with out regard to any of the things they use in every day life and what these things are made of. If you are going to talk the talk, then you better walk the walk, or you are nothing more than a hypocrite in the first degree and your words are meaningless and empty...
rolleyes.gif

hey gunner paul is right once again! OVERWHELMING public perseption, not only do most people see the enviro`wacko`s as the problem so do many public official`s , it doesn`t mean it`s true, but that`s what most people think, now why can`t you handle that statement?

Elkgunner,

Green Peace huh. There's a quality organization that all hunters should support. Maybe if you hung out with people who are not a bunch of pot heads, you'ld know what mainstream Americans are like and what they think.

Paul

Paul,

When you were on the Middle Fork, did you take a minute to notice what an incredible place you were in, and the kind of shape the river and beaches are? I hate to tell you, but it was people getting concerned about the environment (ie... tree huggers), who put the pressure on the Forest Circus to implement all them rules (Fire Pan, Rocket Box, Kitchen Strainer...etc) that allows that heavily used river to remain in that condition.

I did not see it in the 60's-70's, but my understanding is the Middle Fork was in bad shape. And now, after an awesome Spring, of 7+ water, that canyon is now completely renewed, and I bet it looks as good this year as it did last year when I made a high-water trip. That is an example of a re-newable resource.

If you come out against the Fire Pans and Rocket Box rules, I will be floored.

There are still all sorts of issues to work out in the Middle Fork corridor (Why do you have to carry Dog Shit out but not Horse Shit????)

As for Greenpeace, I did not encourage anybody to send them money, nor do I. They are an example of a group that tries to do too much, and my meager contribution would just get lost in administration, or to some cause I don't care about. I have no desire to Save the World. I just want My Own Private Idaho...
biggrin.gif
But, from an Adrenaline point of view, I love to watch those guys in the Zodiacs pulling yet another stunt. I brought Greenpeace up in this thread only because the original Author of the Article did, and it is a group that has "widespread" support, in my lowly opinion.

Cheers....

"The goals of many environmental organizations are completely compatible with hunting, and yet, look how many people in SI recoil at the thought of the idea."

You are right elkgunner,and those that are compatible get most of our support.
I think you came in (or were brought in by Ithaca) and it's his view that we recoil at the word environmental organizations.
What you might have missed is all the parts where we agreed with enviromental concern's.
It was Ithaca's radical and unbending stance on how we should go about ridding the world of the so called lower class rif-raf and what the word abuse is.
As a hunter and someone concerned about the environment I have the duty to make sure both are thought of and understanding sometimes they just might not mesh.
I dont concerder myself a treehugger (although I have hugged a few tree root's and tolet seat's back in the day's)

wink.gif
But ya dont have to be involved with nut-case enviromental org. to understand the need for fire pan's & packing out your own waste ,we were doing that 15-20 years ago while floating the rivers and camping.
(Im sure in light of the fact that we now own ATV ,it's hard to believe.)
It's alot of the other nut-case idea's some of these freak's think up----------

Like compairing dog shit to horse shit it's just plan stupid,and that's where I would have to call someone a freaking treehugging moron if they expect anyone to pack out horse shit.
Come on unless the horse has the squrit's it aint no big deal stepping in a pile of horse crap.I can give in on the dog do-do.
It isnt even close on the smell test.

Im sorry but the way I see it no self respecting hunter would bring up green peace or the compassionate spirt if they arent leaning more to the greenie side of thing's
biggrin.gif

Big difference between wanting to conserve and protect and thinking that every type of use is abuse and public lands should be to look at but not touched.
The only reason I look at pictures of green peace is to see if the nut-job's get dumped in the water .
Same thing when I hear about some nut sitting in a tree or chained in the road.

eek.gif
or some wolf lover chanting and banging pans to keep the wolf away from lifestock,or some treehugger getting eaten by the grizzle bear all the while thinking it wont hurt me cause im one with nature and it can tell I mean it no harm.
soapbox.gif
soapbox.gif

LOL WOW I feel better.
I really dont think we have but maybe one radical greenie treehugger on this site.
wink.gif

That was very well said Deb...
Thanks and I see you have come along way since you started posting down here with me on your writing abilities...Keep up the good work...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back