Cougar. Puma. Lion. A hunt.

406LIFE

In nearly all of my hunts what I think of after the shot is the work to be done: field dressing, packing out, processing. But as I approached the downed mountian lion, I simply felt a warm relief. The shot had been good, the work had paid off, and what needed to go right, did.
631560479.jpg

The morning started out early and black, running roads looking for a track. The first good snowfall in weeks was tapering off giving a perfect blanket for an animal to leave behind sign. After driving a handful of drainages and not finding any prints, a call came in that one was found on the first road. That meant it was less than three hours old, very fresh.

The dogs were eager with the scent around them. We led them up the trail and after fifty yards let them loose to find what they knew was close. The cat was smart, doubling back on its tracks a couple of times. Then I heard it.

"Treed."

20210105_141544.jpg

We scrambled up the mountain hoards the barking. Pushing through the undergrowth we landed on a logging road half eroded away. Two more steps and I looked up to see my first mountain lion 30 feet up an old Doug-fir stating back at me. It causes you to stop in your tracks and just stare.

Every animal has an intrinisic value and remarkable unquiness. I try to learn more about their behavior, ecology, and status, not just strategy. A better understanding feeds a keener appreciation and finding a predator that doesn't want to be found is an unequivocal task.

20210105_142313_015.jpg

As I reached down to touch the molly I was caused to pause in deep connection to this animal. It was a moment unlike any other I have had as a hunter. It was a pause I hope to have again someday.

20210105_143041.jpg

After seeing a lot more cat tracks this year in s. MT, the game warden mentioned during a conversation
that there are a lot of cats around.

Congrats! Glad it all went well. What's the general consensus on shot placement on treed lions? Do most people go for lung shots, or something that kills quicker? I've still yet to see one. I've had their tracks show up on my tracks while I was out hiking, or hunting, but that's it. Hope I get to see one some day!

Congrats! Glad it all went well. What's the general consensus on shot placement on treed lions? Do most people go for lung shots, or something that kills quicker? I've still yet to see one. I've had their tracks show up on my tracks while I was out hiking, or hunting, but that's it. Hope I get to see one some day!
Depends how they are sitting in the tree, double lung is best. Arrowed a good tom the other day and he died in about 4-5 seconds.

Back