Cougar Down

cougar 44

Last Sunday finally had a chance to give the hounds a chance to go chase some cougars.
Hooked up with a couple of friends Tom and Andy. Started out about 6:30 in a honey hole I have that has produced 5 cats in the last 2 years.. This huge canyon runs from the base of the mountains all the way to the flats and has scrub oak and cedars in the bottom and on both sides of this canyon is all mesquite and desert.. It is a good funnel for deer and of course cats.
Tom has some good dogs and one 10 yr old cold trailing walker that started the track about 7am and was slowly working it out..
He would take it for aways and lose it and back track and start all over again. The other dogs would pick it up here and there but couldn't take it anywhere either..
Toms walker dog wouldn't give it up and tom asked me if we should pull him off and see what else we could find.. I said no lets see if he can work it as this was the best we had going.. Sure enough he worked it out of the canyon over 3 ridges up into some big rimrocks.. The cat was laying up there and all hell broke loose. As all the dogs started getting the hot scent. They ran that cat off those rimrocks to the bottom of the canyon and right up a big cedar tree..
All 6 dogs were treeing hard and 1 little bluetick of toms was up the tree with the cat. The sound of the dogs treeing was so loud and the echo it was making off the canyon was making the hair on the back of my neck stand up. This was Tom and Andys first cat, so it made the excitment of it all that much sweeter. It was a big female and after some pics and back slaps Andy wanted to harvest the cat with his recurve bow.. He made a good clean shot and shortly after the cat died in the tree.. Tom climb up and tossed her out and the dogs went to woolin.
What a awesome day for us and to be with Tom and Andy for there first cat ever was a sight to see. The look on there faces was well worth the trip.. Also told them if they tell anyone about my honey hole Id have to shoot them.. The secret spot is still safe for now...... Oh yeah kill time 10:50 a.m.

Congrats! WTG and can't wait to see the pics
drool.gif

Congrats on the cat!! I can't post any of my stories yet cuz it ain't lion season here in Utah yet.
wink.gif

And everybody knows us hound guys would never consider chasing cats out of season.
rolleyes.gif

Congrats amigo!!

Thats awesome cougar. I am waiting here for a friend to take me on my first lion hunt in Idaho. Hopefully I will get one. Bought the tag and hound hunter permits just incase he calls. Can't wait.

Ive never hunted cat or know anything about it...can you eat them? Im sure I have eaten cat at some point at a Chinese buffet.

they are excellent eating. even my wife likes the meat. it tastes alot like pork. it doesn't have a gamey taste because they only eat fresh meat. if the meat from a kill is tainted they make another kill.

Great story!!

I loved the pics too, but why didn't ya gut the three cute little doggies ya shot too? (last pic). Sheezzz, I can tell you've
never been to the South Pacific!
biggrin.gif

Nice looking cougar. I heard two cougars one time. One was below my dad and I, and it was screaming for its kittens, and the other was in Idaho last year. We were dressing and quartering out an elk and I heard it do a low growl, so i got ready to shoot it, but my dad through a rock towards the sound.
Nice job!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Quick Draw

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back