Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cost of reloading vs factory loads.

I would say on average I spend about $20 a box to reload. Factory rifle ammo of similar components are $40-90. My reloading setup paid for itself many years ago. I can't get factory ammo for a couple rifles.

As a matter of economics, assuming the OP is starting from zero, the ROI (for an average hunter) on reloading is gonna take a while. By the time you buy a press, dies, brass, bullets, powder(s), scale(s), deburring tools and all the other accouterments involved, you'll be in deep. Then you're gonna realize you want a better, faster, higher-end press.
Couple this with the fact that modern factory High-End ammo (Fed Premium, Nosler, Sierra, Hornaday) is effective, consistent, accurate, topped with the industries best bullets, I, personally, don't find it a cost-effective measure, especially when you factor in what your time is worth (time with family, work, other obligations...)

All of that said, many out there, find a zen-like quality in reloading. The time alone, the focus, the attention to detail. While I don't have that particular chip in my hard drive, I respect those who do. Hell, it's cheaper than therapy.

Built my daughter a nice 6.5 Creedmoor. It shoots the Berger 135 classic very well at $27 a box. Told her to never reload, buy 10 boxes of that stuff and go forth and kill things. Save the once fired lapua brass and sell it.

I don't take my own advice and reload for 3 6.5x47 lapuas and now a 6.5-284. Fortunately the lapuas all shoot the exact same load well. I've grown tired of reloading and just want to hunt more. Definitely less expensive minus my time for reloading.

Undoubtedly cheaper if you don't consider time & labor, but confidence is the bargain. Knew I had the bug pretty bad when I bought a 7 Mashburn....

I'm still using the same RCBS Rockchucker press that I was given for Christmas when I was 16, and I'm 51 now. Also the same RCBS scale. Never have used a electronic scale, or a powder measure. I use a set of Lee dippers and a power trickler, and weigh each charge. I currently load for my 270 Win., a 338 Win. Mag., two 30/06's, and my daughter's 7/08. I've got enough powder and primers to last me at least another ten years. I'd say my reloading equipment has more than paid for itself over the last 35 years.

My 338 is about $2 per shot with Barnes bullets. Cheapest factories are $70 a box. My 416 rigby has even bigger savings. Factories were $120 a box back in 2013 when I bought it

I think the savings aspect is there if you really get down to brass tacks & focus on the cheapest components, etc possible.

I've always viewed reloading (when I started, it was w/ 38 special, 357 Mag, 44 mag, 30-06 & 338 WM) as a different hobby than hunting, so I treated it as such. I generally do my reloading in the winter, along with most of the tinkering on guns. It keeps me from cabin fever in the depth of february and I get to connect in an even closer manner to the family heirlooms that were handed down. Developing loads for grandma's 32-40 or forming brass for dad's 33 WCF, learning to load black powder cartridges, etc all provide a lot of enjoyment and it teaches you more about your particilar firearm, making you a better shot and more confident in your weapon. It all ties together, but to think just on the lines of cost savings is like saying learning small engine repair will make your 24 foot Grady White more affordable.

All depends on how much you shoot throughout the year and what level of accuracy you are comfortable with. I don't reload, and right now I don't think it would be worth it to me. I don't shoot very much (although I should shoot more), and the accuracy and performance I get out of factory ammo is satisfactory for the animals I shoot and the ranges I shoot at. Maybe if I tried it someday my views would change.

My first loader was a Lee Loader for a 7mm mag. Didn't take long at all to find out how inexpensive reloading was. So I moved on to an RCBS Jr and FL die set. Took a bit longer to recover initial cost's. Before I did recover them I found out I needed a powder measure, those little Lee dipper's just didn't cut it anymore. Of course without the dipper's and with the measure I needed a scale. My old plastic RCBS cartridge measure got replaced with a slide caliper, much better. That was a lot of years ago. I figure that first box of ammo cost me about $50k!

If you want to strive for perfection in your rifles up most accuracy, reload.

If you shoot a lot, reloading will be cheaper in the long run.

If you shoot magnum premium rounds, reloading can defiantly save you some money.

I do it because I want the best potential I can get out of my rifle, and I consider it as part of the preparation of the hunt. Its the same to me as it is scouting, you get what you put into it.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a newbie question since I don’t reload. I bought a new rifle and it likes Nosler accubonds that run about $45 a box. If a guy wanted to get the set up and start reloading his own how hard is it to duplicate the performance of a premium factory ammunition without having any reloading experience? I read about reloading, but it’s pretty much way over my head and pretty technical.

I don’t worry at all about the dollar cost.

95% of the time you can tune a handload to out perform factory ammo.

I’m just looking for performance.
But boy do I hate loading 😂

I started off with the Lee wack-a-mole for my Rem Mag on the kitchen table.
When my wife bought a really nice dinning set, that ended that.
Got a Lee 4 hole turret kit.
I went from shooting about 200 rounds of rifle and same number of pistol a year to shooting over 1,500 rounds of rifle, 4,000 rounds of pistol a year.
Plus i load for family and select friends.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I have a newbie question since I don’t reload. I bought a new rifle and it likes Nosler accubonds that run about $45 a box. If a guy wanted to get the set up and start reloading his own how hard is it to duplicate the performance of a premium factory ammunition without having any reloading experience? I read about reloading, but it’s pretty much way over my head and pretty technical.
Depends on what you mean by "duplicating performance". If you mean shooting an X gr accubond at Y fps, pretty easy. If you're trying to duplicate or reduce group size, well, that depends entirely on how small a group the factory load gives you. I've seen some teeny-tiny groups shot with stuff like Precision Hunter that I don't think could be improved in a meaningful way. Then again, saving $10-20/box might be worth a larger group.

I wouldn't let the technical aspect scare you off. Reloading at its most basic isn't all that complicated. You can make it as complicated as you want.

I have been hand loading since I was 17. I got my press for Christmas that year and have used the same press ever since. I have added stuff over the years, but generally, I have kept it simple. I got used to building my own ammo and never really considered switching to just factory. It gives me the opportunity to use whatever components that I want to play with and also has allowed me to get lots of shots down range for the same price, or less, than what factory would have cost. It has been years, since I sat down and tried to figure out the actual cost, and then there is the "rabbit hole effect".

My only exception to this is a .270 that I traded for. It shoots cheap ammo very well and I have not shot any hand loads through it yet-but may start.

Another reason that hand loading makes sense for me, is that I have my own 530-yard rifle range. I step out the back door, do some pressure checks and then go to the range for further testing.

Factory ammo is very accurate, anymore and unless you shoots a lot, it is probably not worth the expense to get started reloading now. If you decide that you want more options and need an expensive hobby, then get started!

I'm not sure if there's much cost savings for the guy who only goes to the range once a couple of times a year or to sight in his rifle a week before hunting. But I'm certain there's savings involved for someone who shoots on a regular basis and burns through a lot of ammo. However, I tend to think of it more of a hobby to occupy my time and give me something constructive to do. I've had three boxes of reloading equipment sitting on a shelf in my storage unit for a number of years. I've recently decided to set up that equipment as a winter project. Might also provide me the motivation I need to get out on the shooting range on a regular basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back