Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Coronavirus uptick in Montana

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original post was dripping with politics...

Don't understand how OP is so concerned about Montana's outbreak and the US not shutting everything down, but yet has plans to come visit anyway. Guess he just wants others to practice what he preaches.
I presume you directed that to me. You certainly have a point. And it is one I wrestle with I assure you. I have some business in Montana to attend to as well that has been delayed too long already (disposition of the family home). If one of us dies before that's sorted out it will be an unholy legal mess. This pandemic has brought that home ... which brings me home. I'll have to take some slight risk to keep my daughter from having a huge heartbreaking headache to deal with when/if my estate has to be settled. Already went through that crap taking care of her mom's estate. No loose ends this time. I have tried to deal with this long distance but it hasn't worked. And I will do everything possible while there to ensure I don't put others at risk. That is THE priority.

Last edited:
I guess it’s hard to say for sure how everything should’ve been handled. It looks like a lot of places are seeing a surge in cases, even Canada, as a matter of fact. Wish I had the answers.

We'll be heading out there next week from NJ. Plan is to camp on the way out and camp the whole time there. We're bringing enough food so that we won't have to buy anything along the way except for gas. Looking forward to the best two weeks of the year.

If anyone didn't think numbers would not go up as colder temps come about must really not understand why the flu numbers go up at the same time of year. This was all predicted to happen as winter approaches. I'm headed to Montana in November. instead of staying indoors with friends I plan to take a tent and electric heater and plug into an outlet in a machine shed. I will be comfy with an air mattress and down bag. I am not risking taking anything to the older guys I visit with and will probably have to explain why I just won't come inside to have dinner like I have in the past. But I'm sure they will be fine with it or relieved they won't have to explain they don't want me to come in. It's just the right thing to do this year.

If anyone didn't think numbers would not go up as colder temps come about must really not understand why the flu numbers go up at the same time of year. This was all predicted to happen as winter approaches. I'm headed to Montana in November. instead of staying indoors with friends I plan to take a tent and electric heater and plug into an outlet in a machine shed. I will be comfy with an air mattress and down bag. I am not risking taking anything to the older guys I visit with and will probably have to explain why I just won't come inside to have dinner like I have in the past. But I'm sure they will be fine with it or relieved they won't have to explain they don't want me to come in. It's just the right thing to do this year.
Good thinking. I will miss having coffee and cookies with the local old boys at the senior center before heading out to hunt birds. But that would be crazy risky. Anyway I doubt the senior center is still open. Shouldn't be. They're probably taking meals to some of those folks instead. That makes more sense.

Masks have been mandated in Ohio for a good while now. DeWine has been well ahead if many other governors from both sides on this. Mandates don't mean sh*t if no one follows them and they aren't enforced, it doesn't matter who they come from. Local health departments threw their hands in the air within a few days of the mandate and essentially gave up on enforcement in public because they have neither the staff or the budget to do it. Some people are wearing them, but many others aren't. I hate to say it, but after months of this, many people have taken a "screw it, screw you" attitude. Right or wrong, it's what has happened. Pretty much the American way any more. I'm glad I only work directly with 3 other people, and the rest I can deal with remotely. I don't necessarily like a whole lot of people anyways so I've been naturally socially distanced my whole life 😆

There are too many montana residents who can't be inconvenienced to put a mask on.
Sure we are overrun with refugees but the residents that refuse to do their part are the larger problem. This denial response is infuriating.

There are too many montana residents who can't be inconvenienced to put a mask on.
Sure we are overrun with refugees but the residents that refuse to do their part are the larger problem. This denial response is infuriating.
The mask mandate seems to have not helped anything. Do we blame it on locals, or the refugees that don't comply? Bet it spikes again. In a couple weeks. mtmuley

The mask mandate seems to have not helped anything. Do we blame it on locals, or the refugees that don't comply? Bet it spikes again. In a couple weeks. mtmuley
Well..wearing a mask certainly implies the person is conscious of making some kind of effort. Pretty good chance those same folks are making other efforts, as well.

Well..wearing a mask certainly implies the person is conscious of making some kind of effort. Pretty good chance those same folks are making other efforts, as well.
Maybe, maybe not. The mandate hasn't worked here in Montana. mtmuley

My neighbor and weekly Tuesday morning rifle range buddy died last week from Covid. He was an older gentleman but in better shape than most people 30 years younger. Wish the entire situation wouldn’t have been made political because it’s killing a lot of people.

My neighbor and weekly Tuesday morning rifle range buddy died last week from Covid. He was an older gentleman but in better shape than most people 30 years younger. Wish the entire situation wouldn’t have been made political because it’s killing a lot of people.
Shit, sorry to hear this.

I got covid secondhand from someone that didn't follow the 14 day quarantine procedure. It was traced it back to a friend's patient who had symptoms without telling anyone and claims a mask is a violation of their constitutional rights. She was unknowingly exposed by treating that person...I don't know the exacts of how. I spent time with this friend (we were playing Jenga at their house) and I have been in isolation for 10 days now. I know people are going to shout you were within 6 feet, you didn't wear a mask, you're not allowed to have friends in a pandemic...blah blah blah. Fact of the matter is it started with someone who had it and didn't care about those he impacted for the sake of being inconvenienced.

But I do feel our borders should be blocked.;)
They are ... sort of. I'm a US citizen (and disabled veteran) so I'm entitled to return to Montana. My daughter would not be able to come with me. Americans can drive through Canada to Alaska but get caught off route and you're fined heavily and sent home immediately. Three sneaky Calgary cottagers were scooped by feds from their cabins in Flathead Valley and dumped back at the border. CBC News asked the US state dept why Canadians can't drive into US but no restrictions on flying there. Answer was ... no response.

Here there's a $700 fine for people inside stores without a mask and store is fined as well. Everyone complies so it's not been a problem. Before masks were mandated I wore one at grocery store. Not afraid of getting sick but a lot of other folks are, especially elderly. It was important to me to appear concerned about them. But then I was raised in an era when Sunday school taught you that stuff.

One grocery store here has a security guard at produce section that also faces meat section. "You touch it, you take it." It makes sense. Never again will I sort through fruit or packages of bacon with my grubby mitts. Kinda gross when you think about it, pandemic or not.

Last edited:
I've noticed more customers calling in to cancel appointments because they have tested positive. Sadly some customers feel entitled and even after testing positive, demand an appointment. I would assume this "business as usual" when sick doesnt help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back