Core4 vs. Icebreaker vs. First Lite

Sabot

I know that you get what you pay for in most cases, but I've never used Core4 or Icebreaker and they run about 1/2 First Lite costs. Thoughts?

Buy Icebreaker during sales, Sierra Trading Post, Icebreaker, etc. Seems like good stuff to me. Haven't had the base layers long enough to judge longevity.
Fisrt Lite on the other hand.....
Like the stuff a lot. That being said:

Kanab Pants - wore two seasons and seams were fraying inside the legs and cuffs wore through where drawstring is located. First lite told me "sorry - normal wear".
Labrador Jacket - have maybe worn 7 days and shoulder seam need to be repaired.

Not impressed.

BTW - love your summation of the Twitterer in Chief at the bottom of your post......:D

Last edited:
I like my Icebreaker wool, love my First Lite wool, and can't hardly wear my Core4 wool because it smells so bad when it gets wet.

For 1/2 the price I'd go with Icebreaker. If they are close in price I'd choose First Lite. I like supporting companies that support conservation and public lands like they do.

I has some IB boxers and it was like I was farting razor blades the taint wore out so fast. I have some glove though that are like a 250 weight and they are fantastic.

I have a lot of FL gear and it has all held up well. I've run my Kanabs (1st gen) through a ton of brush in two seasons from CA, ID, MT, AZ and NM and not had any problems. That said they have completely updated the design this year and they have a new name. They spun in some nylon to help strengthen them. They aren't called the Kanab anymore for 2017.

If it matters to you First Light ranks at the top tier with the best of them supporting public lands.

My core 4 has more holes than my ice breaker. Ice breaker has less wear than my first lite but feels similar. I'd get ice breaker when on sale as stated above. Core 4 can be found super cheap though too and is a good under shirt in colder weather.

You can find some good deal on Ice Breaker and Core 4 on Camofire. I find them to be okay. For base layers I actually prefer Kuiu

My first technical gear was Sitka and I still wear it. Next was KUIU tops and they all have holes in them. I've bought about a dozen merino Core4 tops at $30 and they're better than either of the previous as far a build quality goes. The Core4 Elevation down jacket I just bought for $70 also very nice.

I have several articles of icebreaker and can't say anything bad about it. Love the wool beanie, keeps the noggin so warm.

The Core4 merino I've had has been pretty much garbage. My FL merino has been pretty good, but I've got a pair of Kanab 2.0s that have started fraying in the crotch. I've had em about a year and they've seen some tough hunting between spring turkey, my CO elk hunt, and fall bowhunting here. I'm not known for being delicate with my stuff, but I'm a bit disappointed they've started to go so quickly. FL's conservation stance is first rate though.

Stay away from the core 4 the ones I had did not last long before they were full of holes. My first lite has lasted twice as long. I were them almost every day at work when it's below freezing 75-100 days/year.

I've got FL and Icebreaker. I like the icebreaker for the price if you catch some close out deals but if I'm paying retail I'll buy FL because it's that much nicer.

First Lite is great. I have some Core4 merino stuff I picked up cheap form Camofire. It's fine, I don't think it will hold up too much longer, but for the price was definitely worth trying out.

Minus 33 also makes quality merino base layers and I believe its cheaper than First Lite.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back