copper plated shot - What's the benefit

Irrelevant

I was browsing around trying to find some ammo (to restock after a trigger happy weekend). What is the benefit of copper plated lead shot pellets? They're clearly more expensive than lead but still way cheaper than the bismuth loads. I see they're not considered non-toxic does that mean that the stomach acid in raptors is enough to dissolve the copper plating? Do they pattern better because they don't deform?

I know many of you are way more knowledgeable on this than me.

Primarily hardness (due to the plating) The plating process hardens the pellet and this allows for better patterning performance and less deformation. It also supposedly improves penetration capabilities of the pellet.

I shot it a bit (didn’t notice a difference) but quit as it wasn’t “non-toxic” which was required of the refuges we hunted.

That’s it. Harder, better penetration,more uniformity, and better patterns.

I started hunting turkeys about 25 years ago with copper plated buffered 4's. Stuck with them. Dont honestly know why I chose them to begin with....probably back then the only option other than lead and steel. I don't think they are as hard as steel, therefore they don't rattle down the barrel and scatter through a full choke as steel will. They won't deform and maintain a decent pattern. Other than that I will defer to those more knowledgeable.
Testimony, I've killed close to 60 birds . Range tops out at 40-45 yards with a standard Remington full choke.
Plenty of options these days with specialty chokes and shot. But spendy.

A great question and I can’t find much data to support a measurable benefit. Manufacturers claim copper or nickel plating improves hardness or helps those pellets exit the muzzle with less damage, but others will say it is just a thin coating like a “wash” and doesn’t do much. I think it is as much designed to capture our dollars as be more effective on birds.

Copper is harder than lead. Harder pellets = less deformation = better flight = better pattern.

And Nickel is harder again than Copper.

And Tungsten (TSS) is harder again than Nickel.

Steel is also very hard and actually patterns quite well, it just has terrible down range energy.

A great question and I can’t find much data to support a measurable benefit. Manufacturers claim copper or nickel plating improves hardness or helps those pellets exit the muzzle with less damage, but others will say it is just a thin coating like a “wash” and doesn’t do much. I think it is as much designed to capture our dollars as be more effective on birds.
It is a "wash". I have pulled copper washed pellets from pheasants and they are just as deformed as bare lead. Buffering does make a difference for sure but painting the pellets is just a bullshit gimmick. Same with the nickle plating. Waterfowl that ingest those pellets will grind off the paint job in their gizzards so no less toxic.

It is a "wash". I have pulled copper washed pellets from pheasants and they are just as deformed as bare lead. Buffering does make a difference for sure but painting the pellets is just a bullshit gimmick. Same with the nickle plating. Waterfowl that ingest those pellets will grind off the paint job in their gizzards so no less toxic.
Not convinced it is a simple wash.
No fun biting down on one compared to lead.

No "non-tox" benefit. Entirely about reducing deformation in barrel to improve patterning. I do pattern my loads in my various shotguns most of the time and my guns do like nickel-plated fiochi golden pheasant a bit more than typical - YMMV.

No "non-tox" benefit. Entirely about reducing deformation in barrel to improve patterning. I do pattern my loads in my various shotguns most of the time and my guns do like nickel-plated fiochi golden pheasant a bit more than typical - YMMV.
I think the biggest factor in pattern differences is not the pellet paint job but rather the wad structure.

But do you know why? I wondered if it was that regulations automatically rule them out (>1% lead) or if they were actually the same toxicity as standard lead. I may have to call @Hunting Wife and she what she says.
They’re still majority lead, probably 99% lead. So if that plating gets damaged before being ingested then it’s going to leach out lead into whatever bird eats it. Birds digestive systems might also be able to grind through the plating; speculating here.

Basically the EPA says they’re still lead, so they’re regulated like lead.

Basically the EPA says they’re still lead, so they’re regulated like lead.
Right, that's what I was wondering. Or if the platting is so thin it gets compromised in route to the bird, or if a raptor's gut juice is strong enough to eat it away. I'm asking regarding my upland hunting, where none toxic is not required, but where I would like to be a better conservationist.

I could go bismuth but that's going to take my costco box wine budget and push me into the grain alcohol and grape juice mixers..

I think the biggest factor in pattern differences is not the pellet paint job but rather the wad structure.
No. It is all about protecting pellets from deformation. Now, you can do this with harder pellets (plated or otherwise harder than lead like TSS), buffer, or fancier wads. Wad is near the bottom of the list for improving patterns.

Let’s look at Winchester Long Beard XR. Anyone that has shot this knows it patterns like CRAZY. They use copper plated lead, but that is not the main reason it patterns so well. It patterns so well because they use a frangible liquid epoxy buffer that hardens after the shell is loaded in the factory. The buffer shatters upon firing, providing total buffering for all pellets. That wad, by the way, is a simple 4 petal cup with no cushion whatsoever; it ain’t the wad.

I figured out the Long Beard buffer myself off their patent so I could prove the theory and make Long Beard shells for gauges they don’t make them for, like 410 and 16 gauge.

Last edited:
I'm asking regarding my upland hunting, where none toxic is not required, but where I would like to be a better conservationist.
From that perspective, copper plated lead isn’t any better for the environment than regular lead.

You could just play in hard mode and shoot steel. 🤣

I started hunting turkeys about 25 years ago with copper plated buffered 4's. Stuck with them. Dont honestly know why I chose them to begin with....probably back then the only option other than lead and steel. I don't think they are as hard as steel, therefore they don't rattle down the barrel and scatter through a full choke as steel will. They won't deform and maintain a decent pattern. Other than that I will defer to those more knowledgeable.
Testimony, I've killed close to 60 birds . Range tops out at 40-45 yards with a standard Remington full choke.
Plenty of options these days with specialty chokes and shot. But spendy.

Right there with you. Shot my first turkey with copper plated lead #4s 32 yrs ago and stuck with them for quite awhile. I used my dad's Remington 1100 with a full choke barrel and those things patterned very well with that combo. Why'd I choose them? Because that's what dad bought for me :)

Reactions: Hem
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back