Copper bullets

Bigmo58

I’ve been experimenting with copper bullets, mostly the Barnes LRX. They claim it expands down to 1600 fps. Will the nosler e-tip expand at under 2000 fps? What’s everybody’s experience been with copper?

I think that the LRX will expand at a lower velocity than does the TTSX and the TSX. I believe that the LRX is listed as 1600 fps, though I may be incorrect! memtb

I seem to remember seeing a video put out by Barnes where the spokesperson stated the LRX was in fact designed to expand at a lower velocity. Barnes engineers thought that at longer ranges, the velocity would in fact be lower, therefore the bullet had to be designed to open at those lower velocities. Makes sense.

I would email Barnes about the minimum velocity because they are different for each bullet, ask them about the ones you’re interested in and they’ll give you the information

I think that the LRX will expand at a lower velocity than does the TTSX and the TSX. I believe that the LRX is listed as 1600 fps, though I may be incorrect! memtb

They’re supposed to open at lower velocity but they vary even amongst the same caliber and weight examples are the 7mm 139gr, 145gr, and 168gr LRX

From shooting rifle bullets in these single shot handguns....I can tell you the E tips expand a lot lower than 1800 and produce clean kills.

Lowest impact velocity I have had was 1500fps in the 7-30 water contender. It killed the mule deer just fine.

With the copper bullets I’d want to error on the safe side and have more velocity. They kill great. Just require more speed.

From my research earlier this year, I remember reading that a lot of the manufacturers test each bullet size to figure out the min speed for expansion then add a safety factor. So with that being said it would probably depend on the round you're using.

I'd give the manufacturer a call to confirm!

Also my first year using copper, and my only shot came at like 150 yards so it worked like a charm, can't say much else yet, too early in the switch

I have used Barnes TTSX 165s and E-tip 180s for my .300 wm. They have both worked well. Both had ethical kills at 100-150 yds (complete pass-throughs). I decided to go with the E-tips because of price and availability.

So I called up Barnes today as I was driving past their factory and got an answer to the question of the expansion velocity of the lrx. It is 1600 fps and the guy said he would keep it a bit higher to be safe. Which makes sense. Now I just have to go find how far out that 1600 fps will be.

I shoot berger or nosler 90% of the time. Never all copper either. In the open I'm a vld lover and in the brush or timber an accubond or partition kinda guy

I used Etips this year. 3 antelope and 2 whitetail didn’t like them. They worked great with very little meat damage. Longest shot was only 150 though.

Last edited:
Permanent switch to copper (LRX) a 2 years ago. Love them, and no reason to ever go back. 10 animals and counting.

I've only used Barnes as my hunting bullets in my .375 RUM and .300 Wby since 2005. Barnes TSX 300 and 270 grains in the .375 RUM and Barnes 168 grain TSX and both 168 and 180 grain TTSX in the .300 Wby. All bullets performed very well on 30+ animals varying from a 30# Klipspringer at 310 yards to bull elk, eland, and the Cape Buffalo in my avatar. All were one shot kills, when I put them in the right place. Longest one shot kills were 348 yards on a Gemsbok with a 270 grain TSX and 327 yards on a Dagestan Tur with a 180 grain TTSX.

I'd try to keep them above 2000fps. 2200 is even better

I took my friend out yesterday, found him a red deer hind, broadside at 200 yards.
I positive 'thwack' was heard but off it ran into the woods.
At the shot site a small amount of hair and very little blood, the blood trail stopped after 30 yards then no sign of her, she too a lot of finding but eventually I located her around 200 yards away, where she died, in my opinion, she must have suffered a long time before expiring, no blood trail to her final position but basically sprayed blood in her last moments everywhere.
On inspection the bullet made a neat little hole one side to the other with any noticeable expansion.
130 grain out of a .308 at 3050'/sec
Is that normal?
If so I'm sticking to soft points.
Cheers
Richard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back