Barnes now loading 280ai ammo? 152g LRX

CoHunter1991

Just saw this pop up at my local shop. Barnes Vortex LRX 152g ammo in 280ai. Seems heavy for caliber and odd since the usual LRX loads in 280ai have been 145g and 139g. Anyone ever use this bullet? wonder how it will perform on game since it is such a heavy copper load.

They just released that combo this year at SHOT show. The bullet was specifically designed for the 280 AI load.

Heard about it a few months ago on the Backcountry Hunting Podcast.

Since it's only 7gr heavier than the 145 LRX, I think it'll be a solid loading. Good to see more 280 AI stuff coming out.

Just saw this pop up at my local shop. Barnes Vortex LRX 152g ammo in 280ai. Seems heavy for caliber and odd since the usual LRX loads in 280ai have been 145g and 139g. Anyone ever use this bullet? wonder how it will perform on game since it is such a heavy copper load.
Did you get a box?
Suggested twist?

I ordered a few boxes also. I spoke to Barnes about twist rates and they recommended 1-8.5 at sea level but anything above 1000' of elevation will be good with a 1-9 which is what I have.

Graf’s has them in stock as of now. I bought a box to see how they shoot and if they stabilize in my 1:9 (800’ elevation). Strange that you can’t buy the 152gr LRX bullet as a component. Would hand roll if so.

Graf’s has them in stock as of now. I bought a box to see how they shoot and if they stabilize in my 1:9 (800’ elevation). Strange that you can’t buy the 152gr LRX bullet as a component. Would hand roll if so.
Barnes yesterday said they are working on getting them into ammo first and should have them available as a component in the next 6 months

Hammer has everything up to their 172gr Absolute Hammer in stock.

Cutting Edge Bullets has their 155gr MTH in stock.

Why not get a better bullet?

Just saying...

Yeah i saw those for about 100$ a box. Ill give these Barnes a go a see what groups I can get before I go that option.

Anyone have any real world data at lower impact (2000 ish) velocities for the LRX?

I like the idea of being able to still have devastating impacts - even if something is beyond my "goal" range. I know HT is big on 400 ish yards - i'd go a little further than that - but if something is wounded the ability to shoot at 600/700 and still have bullets do damage is nice.

Tried them out this afternoon. 8 shot group just over an inch. I'll take that. Bought another couple boxes. Load development done! :LOL: (I have a really good handload with 143gr HH's as well.)

Having only one rifle would be weird, and no fun, but if so I think the 280 AI would be it for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back