Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Cooler size question.

Firedude

I have always taken game to the butcher right after I harvest. Being single this was easy because once I notched a tag I was done hunting. However now I am getting married and she has 2 children. So now I am shopping for a cooler to extend my hunting trips. My question is what size cooler do I need? How big of cooler does it take to keep a boned out bull elk cold? I understand that a cooler will only buy me a few more days afield but I feel it is better than running back and forth to the butcher.

I use a Coleman, 200 quart and it has more than enough room for a boned out elk. A 150 may work, but I have not tried my 150 to my recollection. Some of the new coolers are expensive, but will hold the cold real well. Get the largest that you can financially justify.

We use 2 , 100 quart coolers for each elk, that will also give you room for ice, remember to keep them in the shade as much as possible and the ice will last longer, also the bigger the cooler the harder it is to load after its filled

also the bigger the cooler the harder it is to load after its filled

Yep. This is really important to note. I don't think we were able to lift our 150QT once is was filled last year. Had to unload it right from the back of the car.

I've used 4, 55 QT coolers in the past, but you definitely can't have bones at that size.

I can tell you from experience a 150qt cooler will hold a boned out bull with room for a layer of block ice on the bottom. It will be quite heavy but no impossible for 2 strong men.

We loaded 1 mule deer, 2 cow elk and 2 antelope doe boned out in 3 big 150 coolers. Room for ice left over and they were heavy but loadable. The marine grade coolers are not as heavy as Yeti, etc. and hold cold good enough for a 2 day drive back home. Just don't open it until you get home.

Don't forget a separate cooler for the cape on that trophy ! You want it frozen (or as cold as possible), and not wet so keep it separate from the meat.

Thanks guys. That gives me a pretty good idea of sizes I will need. I'm glad you guys thought to add the idea of multiple medium coolers.

Well I bit the bullet and bought a 100 QT cabelas polar cap cooler. It works well. I put a frozen 2 1/2 gallon jug of ice in it. A week later its just barely starting to thaw... Pretty impressive actually.

Back