Contemplating a First Ever SOLO DIY Elk. Thoughts Welcome

Glad to see you are making this happen. As far as your original post, #1 only you can answer. But a DIY elk hunt is pretty economical in my opinion. As far as gear costs, much of that is "building up your hunting inventory" (IE You can use it for years to come).

#2- Like JLS mentioned, I to archery hunt and it just takes some fore thought. I would have no issues with meat in the woods, as long as I have done my diligence. First priority is to find the animal, take pics and get the hide off. Bag up the quarters and find a shady spot. If you cannot find shade, make your own. I then go back to truck (with a load) and grab my boning knife (Fillet knife) I am not hauling out bone unless it is less than 1/4 mi. Leave meat out at night and sink it in a stream (with plastic contractor bags) in the day if needed. 2nd rifle, I don't think you will have many worries once you get the hide off.

My bull two weeks ago took 4 trips, including camp.

I'm headed out Thursday. It's finally here. Our small business has done really well on the last month, so I have a lot of peace about leaving it for a week. I'll be hunting unit 71 near Rico if any of you happen to be in the area I'll probably be glad to hold a conversation with another human after a few days!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back