Conditioning

noharleyyet

What type of activities do you foot soldiers do to get ready to trek the hills.

I do lots of power hikes here already all year long, but with you guys who live in the flats, I would recomend doing some jump roping..

Three sets of as many as you can do per set, count them to know where your at, and at first do a minute rest between, then as you get better work it down to 15 seconds between breaks, this should happen about 3 times a week...

Other than that, what ever else you can do to get ready is what you should do, what the jump roping does is get your heart pumping hard and builds up the endurance you will need on your trecks...

Seems funny how this little bit would work as well as it does... :)

ELKCHSR... I'm not sure I'm CO-ORDINATED enough to jump rope...I'd probably HANG myself...

Oh well, my wife has always said she wished I was HUNG better.... :rolleyes: ...

As far as exercise goes, I'm fortunate to live in a hilly rural area, so I can do lots of hiking in the hills..They aren't as TALL as the rocky mountains, but some of them are plenty STEEP... I have a lab cross and a border collie who love to accompany me and I always sling a rifle in case I see a "target of opportunity", like a woodchuck or a porcupine or a coyote.. Usually I carry one of my surplus military rifles, such as an M1 Garand or a Yugo mauser in 8 x 57.. Those rifles are heavy, but I figure the 10 pound rifle increases the workout.. After squirrel season opens sept 1, I carry a .22 or , more often, a 20 gauge shotgun..The dogs tree the squirrels and I shoot 'em out..The dogs think it's GREAT fun and I get some nice squirrel dinners... Last year prior to my CO unit 76 muzz elk hunt I was l keeping track of my milage, and I was hiking bewteen 200 and 250 miles per month through the summer...

Now if only I could curb my appetite for fried foods and beer, I could REALLY get in shape... :D ....

jogging, running bleachers, strength training (lower, core, and upper), flexibility.

As long as you're doing cardio, that will help a lot.

just try to be in as good as shape as you can by the time your trip comes. and just remember, nothing you do will prepare you for the lack of oxygen. that just takes a few days to get used to dealing with.

Jazzersice hump My wife and I do this twice a week..Its a great workout for the heat,lungs,legs, and butt :D I like to pride myself as having the tightest butt in camp hump

Hunterman(Tony)

Er.....Hunterman.....we haven't filled our elk camp wench slot yet.....sounds like you might have some necessary qualifications.....let me know if you're interested.

HAHAHA!!!! Snicker Snicker... ROFLMAO!!!!! HAHAHA!!!!! Tony ya walked into that one... :D:D:D

White deer, I have to clean the coffee spew off the screen now... :D:D:D:D

One could see if they could get drawn with Elkfarmer... ;)

My pooches take me for a good walk every day whether I want to or not. I try to go on a good hike at least once a week during the year. This weekend I checked out some new country and bumped into a nice bull! Hopefully the will be several long weekend backpack/scouting trips this summer.

The main thing for you guys coming from low elevation areas to the mountains is to take it slow the first couple days to aclimate to the elevation. Also make sure to drink plenty of water.

Yep Bowedark, age and guile has a hard time beating youth and exuberance to the top of the hill. ;) I just pretend I'm not breathing hard. :D

Harley,

There is a mountain bikle trail there in the falls area that winds in and out of a river bottom. Finding inclines to walk is the hard part. Jumping rope, running (sucks), biking etc are great for the lungs but no much for getting the feet and knees in shape.

western states 100

here is what i did this past weekend at lake tahoe. www.ws100.com
I used this race as a guage and was able to finish so I feel ready for the elk on the middle fork in sept.

ARCAT- WOW! Heck, I thought I was doing good by finishing a 10K w/o stopping. Hats off to you!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back