PEAX Equipment

compressed loads???...help!

duckhead59

I appreciate all the help I've gotten on questions...I'm loading for my .358 win...running across alot about compressed loads...(shooting in a new BLR so action strength isnt a problem) Have a couple of questions.
how do you compress?
are they safe?
does it affect pressure?
what should I watch for?
Thanks, some input here would help 'ease' my mind.

I have shot a lot of compressed loads - if they are okay per a reloading manual with all the same components, you should be fine. If you change from a Sierra Gameking to a Partition, for example, back down a couple grains and work back up to a maximum for your gun. THe only problem I have had with compressed loads is with my .358 Win - and that had to do with the fine grains of W-748 actually working on the primer through the flash hole and causing the primers to back out a bit. This resulted in failures to go "bang" either through the first firing pin strike just re-seating the primer or cushioning the primer so it didn't go off. Whatever the cause, the rounds did not go off when I pulled the trigger. Not a good thing when a trophy is in your sights.

I have never had that problem with any other powder or in any other round, shooting compressed loads. Some compressed loads have been the most accurate for me.

Another reason to back off when changing bullets is that a longer bullet, seated more deeply, will increase chamber pressure. A 225 gr TSX will need to be seated more deeply than a 225 gr partition, for example, to achieve the same OAL. By decreasing the space in the case, you are increasing the pressure with the same powder charge.

Compressed loads are fine, but I'll only shoot them if there is a canlure to crimp. One problem I've had is the bullets end up working their way out under recoil (in the mag) getting stuck on the lands when you close the bolt and extracting the bullet when you can't get the action to close... spilling powder in your action. Real pain in the ass.

Find a little faster burning powder and avoid the issue.

Historically compressed loads would shoot more accurately because the powder never fell in the case differently when you held the gun differently to shoot at upward or downward angles. If the compressed load is filled, just up to the throat of the case it, should cause no problems with backing out the bullet. I've shot them my whole life and never had a problem. All loads though should be backed off and reworked with different components of any type.

I have been loading compressed loads in various rifle calibers for almost 40 years.

The only problem that I have ever had with compressed loads was when I was working up a load with 300 gr TSX bullets in my .375 RUM. When I tried to seat the long 300 gr TSX bullets into a case full of a maximum charge of IMR 7828, the side of the cases bulged.

I pulled those bullets and changed powder.

sighted in my new .358 win BLR Monday...it shot nice...no, it shot great!
once sighted in and shot in the barrel with the 36.6 gr load...it shot less than min of angle @ 100yards with each load!!!!. The only thing that changed was point of impact moved up as the charge increased.
my loads were all as follows with no sign of pressure problems:
Browning BLR...20" barrel...win brass...cci 200 lr primers...oal 2.70"...hornady 200 gr sp
to the best of my calcs...2 gr ^ of RL-7 = 100 fps
38.0 gr = approx 2420 fps and 46,100 psi
started with 36.6 gr of RL-7 up thru 42.6 gr of RL-7
something I think really helped with consistancy was that I didnt roll crimp when seating the bullet but used a lee factory crimp die to crimp. Its a cheap addition to your tools at $9-$15...but man does it help...I didnt crush or mis crimp any cartridges in the process...(and Im new)
the above info is all FYI...Im no pro...and dont pretend to be...but worked well for me.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back