Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Compound Bows vs. Crossbows vs. Rifles

That's an ethics thing. Just like killers gonna kill. Wounders gonna wound. The weapon doesn't matter. Anyway I'm out. I'm going to go get ready to kill another 400" bull with my super accurate "giant laser" compound bow ;) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
A rifle is inherently more lethal than an arrow for starters.

Bowhunters are the most narcissistic hunters of them all. They need to feel justified in their hunting handicap. How many bow killed animals have you seen without the bow in the picture? It's the most important thing about the picture. The hunter has to make sure everyone knows that the animal was killed with a bow. How else could we possibly know just how difficult it was to kill that animal... I mean other than it's dead and it must not have really been that hard after all or they wouldn't have killed it. 😀 They don't want crossbow hunters stealing that limelight even though the "difficulty" of both is basically the same. I know a number of crossbow hunters, and none of them are shooting 100 yards their ranges are pretty much equal to archery guys. As Greenhorn pointed out, there isn't really a difference anyway. You want to bowhunt then make it traditional... but then it would be way too hard for most bowhunters.

The older I get the more I think we should just have one season. No special hunt times, handicap yourself all you want... but that will never happen.

Id put money on it, that succes rates on mature bull elk are equal or higher for archery compared to rifle. Given the choice, I'd pick hunting rut stupid bulls in September every day of the week over October/November rifle hunts. I've had way, way more encounters with big bulls in September vs Nov, probably 10:1?

I think there is a misconception that you need to be successful when you hunt and we stack the odds in favor of hunters and don’t realize it’s ok to have animals on the landscape. It’s ok to read sign and not run trail cameras. It’s fun to sneak close to an animal, the closer the better. That is where I struggle with crossbows and rifles. Especially when often we are using rifles the times the animals are most vulnerable.
Nothing stops one from sneaking in close with a rifle.

How many bow killed animals have you seen without the bow in the picture? It's the most important thing about the picture. The hunter has to make sure everyone knows that the animal was killed with a bow. How else could we possibly know just how difficult it was to kill that animal... I mean other than it's dead and it must not have really been that hard after all or they wouldn't have killed it. 😀
1630554152105.png

yukyukyuk...

The problem with archery is even with "ethical" shots its very easy for an animal to jump the string.
I had a video of me shooting a whitetail once that showed this. Shot was at 25 yards and Inwas aiming for the heart. The arrow actually struck the deer 6 inches higher. After reviewing the video it was easy to see why. The deer ducked at the shot before spring up to run. No big deal because I took put both lungs. However had I aimed higher I may have shot over it's back in a best case scenario or in a worse scenario perhaps hit under the spin, which provides for a very scant blood trail.
The problem with rifles is it’s very easy to take unethical shots and have a great chance at wounding the animal. And it can be done with even less practice than a compound bow just a big wallet and some YouTube videos and you are well on your way to shooting beyond belief.

Bowhunters are the most narcissistic hunters of them all. They need to feel justified in their hunting handicap. How many bow killed animals have you seen without the bow in the picture? It's the most important thing about the picture. The hunter has to make sure everyone knows that the animal was killed with a bow. How else could we possibly know just how difficult it was to kill that animal... I mean other than it's dead and it must not have really been that hard after all or they wouldn't have killed it. 😀 They don't want crossbow hunters stealing that limelight even though the "difficulty" of both is basically the same. I know a number of crossbow hunters, and none of them are shooting 100 yards their ranges are pretty much equal to archery guys. As Greenhorn pointed out, there isn't really a difference anyway. You want to bowhunt then make it traditional... but then it would be way too hard for most bowhunters.

The older I get the more I think we should just have one season. No special hunt times, handicap yourself all you want... but that will never happen.

Id put money on it, that succes rates on mature bull elk are equal or higher for archery compared to rifle. Given the choice, I'd pick hunting rut stupid bulls in September every day of the week over October/November rifle hunts. I've had way, way more encounters with big bulls in September vs Nov, probably 10:1?
How about mule deer in November with your rifle? You pose with your long range rifle and feel like you’ve had a great “hunt”?

States set the regulations for hunting. Hopefully, science drives the process. If the regulations allow tradition archery equipment, compound bows and crossbows during archery season ... you use what you want, and other folks can use what they want. Stop the silly bickering with other hunters. Get out and enjoy the method of hunting that you like to do.

Rifle = mountable, horizontal, enhanced optics, simple trigger pull, and projectile sent.

Crossbow = same as above. Some desire it as equivalent to "Archery" for the purpose of use during archery season. (MT specific)

MT specific: I was originally advised by a sage guru that crossbows were permitted for disabled hunters. This is false.

Screenshot_20210902-054604_Drive.jpg

From the other thread dealing with manipulating MT archery season with crossbow use during archery:

Your not pulling the crossbow string back while an elk is coming in hot and pissed off to your buddy's bugle... it's set before the bugling begins.
Rest the body of the crossbow on a trigger stick gen3 crossbow monopod.
Once that elk comes within say, 60 yards, aim through a rifle based, Leapers UTG 4x32mm Crossbow Scope, pull trigger.

Buddy shoots one, I shot it a few times for chits n grins... that scope with the trigger pull while rested on the crossbow base is a cake walk to slap a pie paper plate over and over and over.

Bowhunters are the most narcissistic hunters of them all. They need to feel justified in their hunting handicap. How many bow killed animals have you seen without the bow in the picture? It's the most important thing about the picture. The hunter has to make sure everyone knows that the animal was killed with a bow.
Custom rifle guy usually is way up there with needs to make the gun a central theme, as well as tell you ever component they used.

I have a terribly hard time believing archers maim more animals than rifle hunters. Just due to the volume of hunters with guns alone and how easy it is to take stupid shots with a rifle.
Agreed. Percentage wise, archery hunters probably do wound more. Raw numbers wise, I'm not so sure.

We are not worthy of your wisdom 🙌

Dude... rifle, bow, hatchet, Spear. Whatever i killed it with ends up sitting on the critter. Its not to show off its just a convenient location. I never really thought to deeply on it.

We are not worthy of your wisdom 🙌

Dude... rifle, bow, hatchet, Spear. Whatever i killed it with ends up sitting on the critter. Its not to show off its just a convenient location. I never really thought to deeply on it.
I proudly show my bow on purpose. Say what you want its way harder than taking something with a rifle. Even a dipchit like me knows that

The problem with rifles is it’s very easy to take unethical shots and have a great chance at wounding the animal. And it can be done with even less practice than a compound bow just a big wallet and some YouTube videos and you are well on your way to shooting beyond belief.
Yes, but a rifle still has much better lethality than an arrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back