Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Did before, still storing the same amount

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Did before, storing even more now

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Did before, not anymore

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
Not around here. And price varies by demand for said powder. The popular ones will stay high I bet. mtmuley
$55-60 around here, and options are limited. The silver lining is weatherby factory ammo seems reasonable now.

That's hard to figure anymore. If an event like covid hits, ill "need" 2 years worth of components. That's about 10,000 primers, bullets and 8 lbs of powder. Seemed excessive to me 4 years ago, now seems necessary.
Unless you’re talking pistol you’re gonna need a lot more than 8lbs of powder to go through 10k primers and bullets.

Unless you’re talking pistol you’re gonna need a lot more than 8lbs of powder to go through 10k primers and bullets.
Yeah, mostly pistol. Those were numbers off of the top of my head, I shoot around 5000 pistol rounds a year, maybe 1000 rifle, most of which are 6.5 grendel, 29gr loads. I should log all of my shots over the next year, I'd like to know just how much I actually shoot

Since the first of the year I’ve bought 2 barrels, 20# of n570, 5000 215 primers and bought another 500 Berger 195 last week for 1,000 total.

It's nice that many components are getting easier to find, but we're a long way from back to normal. I still have not seen H 4895 since Covid started and brass has been very tricky as well. It's so dependent on what components you're using.
I used to not stockpile at all. I'm not going crazy now, but I'm trying to keep enough on hand that I could go a couple of years, if need be.

The more my loads solidify, I just add larger Lot sizes of components making good ammunition.

Not components but hoarding Ammo. Even stuff I don’t have gun for. Never know when the zombies come what gun may be on the ground.

I shoot a .325WSM. Brass, and bullets can be tough to find. I have never shot a factory load from my rifle, but knew early on that I needed to collect components or I would be in trouble. I found a great load with 200 grain Accubonds, Winchester Brass and Ramshot Big Game powder. I have enough of all of them to last a LONG time.

Still have issues finding 140 Ballistic Tips for our 7mm-08 rifles (3 of them), Varget has been really hard to find, but scored a few bottles last year.

I’ve worked in the retail sporting goods for about 25 years and have witnessed first hand the panic and hoarding that goes on during these unknown times. I’ve also seen many people who turn that into a side hustle and buy extra, simply to increase the price and re-sell, which only makes the problem worse for all.
I hate to see people be forced to stop their target practice and save it all for hunting because they are afraid of not being able to re-stock their supply.
Ammo lasts a very long time if stored properly, so use this time to slowly build your reserves. Buy an extra box or two every couple months, until you have what you consider a several year supply. For a fraction of what you spend on coffee, you can quickly build your supplies to where you don’t have to panic next time this happens — and it will happen again. Who knows, your children may thank you some day.
Remember the story of the turtle and the hare? Slow and steady wins the race.
If prices go down, I doubt it will be much in this current state of inflation we are in for all goods.
Two more bits of advice.
Don’t wait until ammo isn’t available to decide that you are going to get into reloading. If ammo isn’t available, neither are the components to load your own.
Also, consider getting a rifle caliber that may not be the absolute most popular, but will still get the job done. While hordes of people are looking for 30-06, 6.5 Creed, .308, etc, you may have a chance of finding .280 Rem. ammo, as an example. This doesn’t always work to your favor, but I’ve seen that scenario in the past work, plus it’s more fun to experiment with all the different calibers!
I like your reasoning...

I bought a rifle in 6.5CM when I found ammo virtually unavailable for my 270WSM. Both rifles like the Federal Trophy Copper, but I haven't seen any available for the 270WSM in over two-plus years. Luckily both rifles like the Hornady CX, so I bought a bunch when it first came out and I'm pretty well stocked for my needs at the moment. That said and I've begun researching reloading info for both calibers with the idea to stock bullets, primers and powder, if only in light quantities.

I'll also probably buy a box or two of CX bullets in 120gr (264) and 130gr (277), since they work for me already.

I have a lot of components from when I used to shoot a lot more. Ideally have enough to cover multiple years of shooting at current rates but I'm not "stockpiling" a damn thing at current prices. People have been stockpiling for years, at some point it's gotta slow down right? That stuff can sit on the shelf until prices come down or inflation catches up with it..

I’ve been finding alternatives to the “name brand” and getting as good of results for a fraction of the cost.

But yes, current costs need to correct themselves to justify additional expenses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back