Compare and Contrast Opportunity, Startup cost and Maintenance cost between Archery and Rifle target competition for a hunter.

2rocky

About 10 years ago I took the leap into bowhunting and target archery as a way to build my skills as a hunter. I think i got a Bow package for around $600 and gradually upgraded components over the years to the point I had good arrows and good sight, a flagship bow with drop away rest and custom strings. I quit chasing the latest trends in 2012 and my bow setup hasn't changed since then.

As far as my rifle setup goes it is quite a bit older itself. I did upgrade to a Leupold CDS a couple years ago.

I was thinking about what it cost between the two methods, that even with the increase in materials costs, getting current with my archery setup and practicing regularly (shoot at home and weekly league) with occasional regional/state competitions and maybe a couple national competitions, I would be out a lot less money than if i tried to practice as much and compete in Rifle events.

Made me think. Are more people getting into Bowhunting because the practice required is less expensive and there are more places you can do it? I'm fortunate to be able to set up a steel target out to 600 yards at home, and I have a 300yd private operated range down the road. With ammo and reloading components in such scarce supply is it even sustainable? I'm not sure how folks do it.

Just writing this out has made me kinda prioritize my bowhunting opportunities over rifle opportunities since i can be more proficient in archery for less ongoing cost and more opportunity to practice. Even if my Effective Range is 1/10th that of a rifle.

Already I'm seeing more demand for archery tags than some rifle tags and I think because of what I've mentioned, it will continue in that direction....

Once setup archery is cheaper. You reuse arrows and targets last longer, also easier to find a place to shoot, takes much leas space

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back