Communication - ham, satellite or cell

Corax

I am planning an antelope and maybe a mule deer hunt in Wyoming this year and am wondering about emergency communication where there is no cell service. This is an issue, particularly since these may be OMO (on my own) hunts. I have used a ham radio in New Mexico to tie in to the repeater network and access the phone system. The other option seems to be a satellite phone, but that seems expensive. Any suggestions?

This may not help much...but I found that text messages still work in some areas that cell phone conversations don't.

Thanks to oil and gas companies, I have found very few areas in WY antelope country that do not have coverage on my Verizon plan.

Don't get in a situation where you need emergency communication :)

The only thing I can think of that could possibly go wrong is a vehicle breakdown. Take a reliable vehicle and keep enough gas in it to be able to drive a while if you get lost.

Oh yeah, don't get lost. Put a map and compass in your day pack, and know how to use them. If you get lost it won't matter if you have a phone or not because you won't be able to tell people where you are. If you know where you are then you aren't lost.

Don't let fear of the unknown keep you from enjoying life. Be cautious, and have fun. I've been hunting by myself since 1962 and I've never had to sleep in the woods, or be carried out.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am a better navigator than I am hunter. I use map, compass and GPS (just got a GPSMAP 62st) and focus on keeping track of where I am.

I would agree with Fin. I went to, what I consider a remote part of Wyoming (coal mines nearby), and the cell phone reception was great.

With that noted I went alone so just to be safe I rented a satelitte phone. It was from a place in Florida and I can get you the name of the company if you wish. Wne looking at phones compare rental rates, minutes used, price per minute, and shipping $$$ (they get you here). The place I found was very reasonable & fair and no shipping. Cost for one week was $100.00.

Note: "don't get yourself into trouble".... My biggest concern was crawling along the ground... stalking antelope and getting bit by a rattlesnake. Maybe I am just paranoid but I felt safer with the phone handy if I needed it. In the end there were not many places that my cell phone did not have reception.

good luck to all
the dog

My biggest concern was crawling along the ground... stalking antelope and getting bit by a rattlesnake.

That is a very real concern! If you are an archery hunter, you will eventually run into a rattlesnake. My work often brings me right into their way. I have stepped on, caught, moved, and/or killed 14 rattlesnakes this summer. I don't even want to know how many I didn't see.

I agree that a lot of places have decent cell coverage to send texts but if you can rent a sat phone for $100/week that would calm a few nerves. You may also consider a SPOT Connect...it connects your smart phone via an app to satellites. It can also be used as an emergency becon. The problem is that it's $100 plus $99/year subscription.

I agree with you guys. There can always be something go wrong and there should be a plan for when it does. Snakes and broken down vehicles are definite possibilities.

If it's really a concern, and being out of cell phone range won't let you focus on killing, rent a sat phone. (Iridium) It'll cost you a little bit, but your family will appreciate the occasional phone call too.

When my wife got a smart phone, I told her that I would stick with my old flip phone, but wanted to be in a position in life where I needed to own a satellite phone. I have rented sat phones from Satellite Phone Store (I think in Florida) on elk hunts. I figure now is the time of year to get this stuff sorted out.

Thanks again.

I tell you there is nothing more depressing than being broken down in the middle of the Wyoming desert. It was Labor Day weekend, I hunted Lope all day Friday and got back to the truck that night. I opened the truck door and noticed the dome light fading away. Crap. Some how I pushed my truck and got it turned around and tried to jump start it on the small hill I was parked on. That didn’t work. Went to bed bummed.

Not life threatening, I had food and water but I was wasting time. Couldn’t really shoot a lope and have no transportation. No cell phone reception from any hill around. I packed up a pack full of water and was sitting on the tail gate, eating a Mountain House getting ready for a LONG walk to the black top. When my heroes came driving up the two track. 2 buddies’ hiding from their wives, out trying to find prairie dogs to shoot. A quick jump start and I headed to town!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I wouldn't worry about a Sat phone in Wyoming. Especially during gun season.

How many Lope points did you say you had Corax?;)

I can't forsee enough dangers antelope hunting to warrant a sat phone. Worst case, tell your wife daily where you'll be hunting so she knows where to start the seach if you don't check in later.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back