Columbia blacktails??

1_pointer

Ever since I got my dink Sitka blacktail back, I've had a hankering to get a decent Columbia blacktail to go next to it. However, I know little to nothing about them other than their in CA, OR, and I think WA and only west of I-5.

So, those that have chased/killed these critters I'd love to hear some stories and any/all information that you'd like to pass along (who, what, when, where). I'm not against spending the money on a guided hunt for these, but would much prefer a DIY hunt and would be willing to pay a tresspass fee to access private ground.

Let's here it fellas! Help a bruddha out!

I've hunted California coastal blacktails for at least 40 years, and they've taught me a lesson or two. Very sharp critters, not all keyed up like whitetails but elusive as hell.
For anyone wanting to do a DIY in California, hands-down I would suggest B zone. Google Earth just north of Clear Lake (where this zone starts) and most of what you see is either National Forest or BLM. I've hunted there and the bucks are there, but hard to run into. I'll admit it: I'm not too good at hunting blacktails in the forest.
Now, as far as hunting the coastal blacktail (as opposed to forest), spot and stalk works the best for me. It's a lot like open range muley hunting. This is because the coastal range is choked with cayons of greesewood, poison oak, manzanitia, bay laurel (pepperwood) trees all 8 to 10 feet tall, and between these canyons are big-time steep, grassland ridges. Some of these ridges are 1/2 a mile across. Walk across one of these open ridges and every deer within a mile radius will either spook or hunker down. (That's right -now you're busted.)
You can do an old-time brushbreaking type of drive if you've got enough guys -done right you can jump some great bucks. The trouble is hitting them -they bounce (stott) exactly like a muley. Took me awhile to get the hang of it.
Or you can sneak out in the dark with the wind in your favor, sit down in some dominating cover without being spotted (do NOT allow yourself to be either skylined or seen), and glass until your eyeballs melt out of your skull. Spot your either feeding or bedded buck -and let the sneak commence. You'll find out exactly how hard these deer are to catch unaware the first time you attempt to stalk one. Have fun. DD

I've bowhunted Blacktails for many years now. DD has given some sound advice (B zones).....I'll just add one thing.....don't overlook the wilderness areas for some true back country hunting with plenty of trophy bucks. The Trinity Alps Wilderness has produced some toads over the years. Not a hunt for the faint hearted, but very rewarding.

I don't post much here, but having been born and raised in N Cal, I will second what BOHNTR stated re: Trinity. Go and google a little you will find some info. You might check out JHP aka Jesse's Page as they are mostly Cali guys and do some searches on hunting the Trinity Alp's.

bkondeff, You're one of the few that doesn't post much but when you do, It's worthwhile stuff. We need more people like you, Thank you My friend !!!!

Blacktail are one of the hardest and smartest deer to hunt IMO. I grew up in Cali hunting them from pvt property on ranches to Mendocino National forest. They will hold like an upland bird and blowout like a quail. or sneek out the back as you walk by. I have seen them actually crawl out of cover. Another good site for info is www.blacktailcountry.com

Fun hunting

Tyler if you're looking for a guided hunt by people who REALLY know their business, I can recommend Doug and Jannet Gattis in Medford, OR.
http://www.blacktails.net/
They aren't cheap but they are good. You could also go for more coastal Cali blacktails and easily add a hog to your hunt in the A zones.

For non-guided hunts in NorCal you always have a chance at a bruiser in the Trinity Alps and Yolla Bollys and they will test your boot leather as well

If quality isn't a big issue (always a chance for it though), there is quite a bit of National Forest and State land up here by me that hold decent numbers of bucks but they are not secret spots by any means (competition) ...and I've got a place you're welcome to stay at in the Burney area of the Lassen and Shasta NFs. These game cam pics were all taken within a couple of hundred feet of our cabin.

2000_0101Image0142.jpg

2000_0101Image0001.jpg

2000_0101Image0086.jpg

You got a time frame in mind going forward...next couple of years?

1 pointer:*The Columbia blacktail deer, which lives only on the Pacific coast from northern California up through Oregon and Washington and on into British Columbia, is a deer that few hunters know much about. All things considered, taking a true trophy-class Columbia blacktail - not a hybrid cross between various mule deer subspecies and blacktails - is as difficult a task as any in all of North American deer hunting. One reason is, Columbia blacktails are very secretive deer, especially bucks that have managed to stay alive longer than three or four years. There are game department studies that involved setting up cameras along trails in high-density deer areas. The study revealed that approximately 85 percent of mature blacktail bucks travel only after dark. It is against these odds that you have to consider* where to plan your hunt. The boys in cali got ya covered if you decide to go that route, Oregon I can't help ya much, but washington, The olympic penninsula has some of the biggest true columbian blacktail you'll ever have a chance at. In the cascade mountain range we have what they now consider Cascade blacktail because a good many have at one time or another cross breeding. There are many areas in the cascades that have never had this but that's just the way it goes so the columbian boundries have shrunk once again. If you plan on hunting here in washington, talk to our local biologists and they will point ya in the right direction. Here are a couple that we have taken the last few years.

Attachments

• 2007_1027Image0008.JPG
    2007_1027Image0008.JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 1,820
  • 2007_1027Image0022.JPG
    2007_1027Image0022.JPG
    446.2 KB · Views: 1,950
  • 2007_1027Image0033.JPG
    2007_1027Image0033.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 1,659
  • jrdeer2.jpg
    jrdeer2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,573
  • 2006 buck.jpg
    2006 buck.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,638
If you are looking for a guide they don't get no better than Jim at Arrow5 Outfitters. If you want a DIY hunt you have many options on where to go. Oregon OTC general season runs into Nov. 7th this year and there will be some smokers meeting God I guarantee.
Here are my 2 Bucks I took with Jim last year. 100% Blacktails
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk231/SD174
/Arrowfivenov2007001.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk231/SD174/2007Tostensdeerhunt010.jpg

This is my 13 year old daughters buck she got with Jim also in 2007.

Mikyla07004.jpg

We got tons of Blacktail photos let me know if I can help!!

http://www.arrowfiveoutfitters.com/html/about.htm

If you are looking for a guide I would recommend Jim at Arrow5 Outfitters. Here are a couple I have taken with him in 2007.

2007Tostensdeerhunt010.jpg

Here is my 13 year old daughter 2007 buck she got with Jim also.

Mikyla07004.jpg
[/IMG]

If you want a DIY hunt look at Oregon this year. Season runs into Nov. 7th there with be some smokers hitting the dirt for sure.

Mike

MJ. Great looking bucks taken there. You and your daughter must be real proud. What caliber weatherby is she shooting? My BT gun is Weatherby Mark V in the 257. Welcome to Moosies place:D

Thanks Guys!!!!

Mikyla is shooting a .240 . I have a .257 also, gotta love that caliber for deer.

I like what I'm seeing on your board.

Mike

This a a great thread on a deer not many people get a chance to see or hear about. Nice Blacktails, after getting some sitka's last year I'm seeing that it takes a bit more homework to get into columbia blacktails.

--Bill

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back