Colorado wolf referendum, 168,000 signatures gathered.

Proof? mtmuley
No proof I just suspect they were smaller like the mexican wolves that were here at one time. Don’t quote me on this my memory isn’t great but when we went to Denver to fight this at cpw headquarters a few years back a biologist said the larger grey wolves were never native to Colorado but the mexican wolves were at one time. Only slightly larger than a coyote is what he said.

Last edited:
It's kinda murky on that point... full text, it seems like it's suggest that additional funds would be appropriated to the department?

I think "Appropriated to the department" means the general assembly would dictate where the funds would come from. That could be from other state budget sectors or from the existing CPW budget. I think it's kind of a catchall phrase that means the state has to figure out how to pay for this program the voters have forced upon it. Changes to the budget have to go through the general assembly anyway so thus the reference. My guess is that the money would come from the existing CPW budget by cutting other programs and/or raising fees for other services. Now that the CPW is somewhat free to move fees around they would have the ability to do so to fund a program like this.

It sucks for the ranchers but it's going to happen. Colorado has been changing not only via people moving from CA and NY, but also as kids growing up along the front range live in a place vastly different than existed 40 years ago. With these kinds of issues the sentiments of ten or fifteen percent of the population just doesn't count for much. Big Fin and David Allen saw this coming, especially the coordinated well funded approach and warned about it. I don't know of any politically active hunter groups such as demonstrated in the Montana capital, and that was a legislative thing, this is a ballot measure. I just don't see any good outcomes.

Well like Montana, learned your elk herd is, going to take a, severe hit, from wolves then next on thier list is, grizzlies which imo I think colorado has a few grizzlies but your cpw doesn't want that let our because of the endangered species thing
As, far as, being native to the lower 48 there seems to be conflicting data, on it some say Grey wolves, are native to the lower 48 some say it was, a, smaller timber wolf, at one time
I thought I had read, an, article that stated the Grey wolf was, illegally introduced because it was never found in the lower 48 but I'm not positive on that

Last edited:
Back