Colorado vs Wyoming

As mentioned by others, there's really no reason not to play both states. In my opinion, Colorado limited entry can be a little more predictable to draw than the limited entry tags in Wyoming.

A little against your post, but would recommend adding a 3rd state to your point purchasing. You can bet on change when it comes to difficulty of drawing. OTC will eventually be lost and it becomes a rotation of states for those looking to hunt out of state each year. Personally, I would add Montana to your list, as all 3 states can give you some good options at 1-3 points. Even Montana saw record applications last year causing challenges in the general tag pool. Colorado has slowly been moving OTC units into draws for some time now. Just a matter of time...

As many have said. Colorado is the place to cut your teeth. You can hunt there often (every year) you can build points and hunt early rifle or late migration, archery or Muzzy.

No matter what, the system right now allows everyone to hunt every year you want.

The general tag for WY right now is a couple year investment.

Pick an OTC unit in Colorado, hunt it as often as possible and save points to hunt a Muzzy or early rifle every couple years.

The people who typically kill elk are those who know the unit and land the best. Who have had the time and ability to watch hunters and animals, how they move and how they respond. What area don’t have elk what areas always hold ‘em. What routes they use for escape etc.

If I was a new hunter cutting my teeth and wanting to hunt. Then Colorado.

If you are experienced, only want a hunt every 5 years and don’t mind waiting then WY general is a better hunt but in the time you draw a hunt twice in colorado you might have killed a couple elk in CO.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back