Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado Units 12/24

Bov_WI

Since I didn't draw the tag I wanted..., I got a 1st season bull tag for the conglomerate of units containing the Flattops Wilderness. I haven't hunted this area before but by reading previous posts it looks like there are lots of hunters. One question I have about hunting this area is if there are outfitters that set up camps back in off the roads in the north part of unit 12 or do most of them head south into the wilderness areas? I am also wondering which campgrounds typically still have access to a water pump at that time of year and if we get lucky enough to kill a bull, where is the nearest place to get dry ice?
Thanks for the help!

There will be outfitters operating throughout 12/24 because there's lots of elk there. Do not worry about them or their back country drop camp hunters. They are there because there are elk there and you can take advantage. I hunt in the proximity of outfitter camps every year and kill more elk than their clients do. Pay no attention to the people in orange jump suits. Go hunt, look for elk, have fun.

I doubt that many campgrounds will have water at that time but there is a public water pump just off the highway two miles south of Buford at the Avery Lake Road. It's almost always reliable during the hunting seasons. You can get dry ice in Meeker.

There will be outfitters operating throughout 12/24 because there's lots of elk there. Do not worry about them or their back country drop camp hunters. They are there because there are elk there and you can take advantage. I hunt in the proximity of outfitter camps every year and kill more elk than their clients do. Pay no attention to the people in orange jump suits. Go hunt, look for elk, have fun.

I doubt that many campgrounds will have water at that time but there is a public water pump just off the highway two miles south of Buford at the Avery Lake Road. It's almost always reliable during the hunting seasons. You can get dry ice in Meeker.
Thanks for the info!

I'm taking my two sons on an elk hunt during 1st Rifle this year and it looks like there are going to be more hunters in Unit 24 than some OTC units during 2nd Rifle. We are driving out two days early to scout and missing a few days of school to make it work. I found more information on fishing as our back up than I found on elk.

I'm curious to know if the 'hiking a mile past the roads, glassing burns, and hunting boundaries' guidance still applies in the Flat Tops Unit 24 and surrounding units? It seems that this wilderness area is a magnet for those wanting to enjoy the pristine wilderness and has a higher pull for those willing to hike or horseback long distances.

My current set-up is to hike up onto a portion of the mesa and camp within a mile of glassing spots that surround us on all points. We will be near named and no-named lakes that hold fish.

Not looking for specific honey holes, but is there a way to find out where the greatest concentration of people is going to be for a unit like this?

J Bar H Outfitters will have five drop camps and two guided tent camps in GMU 12. They are on the north border, but have camps up to a four hour horse ride away. Almost to GMU 24. There are still plenty of hunters in this area. The presence of elk depends on the weather. If there is littler or no snow, we hunt GMU 24. Go high. If there is at least a foot of snow with more on the way, we hunt 12.

Reactions: JAG
I'm taking my two sons on an elk hunt during 1st Rifle this year and it looks like there are going to be more hunters in Unit 24 than some OTC units during 2nd Rifle. We are driving out two days early to scout and missing a few days of school to make it work. I found more information on fishing as our back up than I found on elk.

I'm curious to know if the 'hiking a mile past the roads, glassing burns, and hunting boundaries' guidance still applies in the Flat Tops Unit 24 and surrounding units? It seems that this wilderness area is a magnet for those wanting to enjoy the pristine wilderness and has a higher pull for those willing to hike or horseback long distances.

My current set-up is to hike up onto a portion of the mesa and camp within a mile of glassing spots that surround us on all points. We will be near named and no-named lakes that hold fish.

Not looking for specific honey holes, but is there a way to find out where the greatest concentration of people is going to be for a unit like this?
I planning to have this same tag this year. How was your hunt, any advice you have to pass along would be appreciated! Thanks!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back