Colorado unit 71 and unit 711 elk hunting!

Tom_Nguyen

Hello guys
I plan to go to Colorado elk hunting in unit 71 & 711 in October 2021. I never hunt in CO before, please give your tips and advices, I would listen to any tips and ideas.

thank you,
Tom

I've been into 71 several times over the years Tom but not 711. (I will assume you will be gun-hunting ?) In short, two words cover it: STEEP and DEEP. Elk numbers have been down recent years in that part of the state. Not much classic "glassing country" and LOTS of beetle kill. Getting a dead elk out of some of those holes will kill a man - Circle K Ranch offers pre-arranged pack-out service but it's expensive/worth every penny. Spike-camp hunting will help get you into the elk and save some miles on your feet. Hope this helps.

Tom,
Have hunted those units in the past, close to Groundhog Reservoir, hunted through an outfitter, just a trespass fee.
What season 1st rifle?
We went 2nd rifle 2017, last time in that area was 70s during the day & Elk were up higher. We were around 8400 el. Saw lots of deer, we had combo. Nice area.
Trying public 71 this year.
Good luck

Tom - If you have the 10/16 to 10/20 hunt (1st Rifle), we'll be in it together. I'm jumping off from AZ and headed up this weekend to scout. PM me and let's talk!

I’ll be out there solo hunting first rifle all the way from Florida . Was going to stay at circleK but decided to just solo camp out there to better my odds getting deeper in. I have a local to the area showing me a few decent spots out there. He suggested getting a bear tag as well because he said he has seen a lot of bear this year up in there. My last day scouting is tommorow the 11th of July on horseback . Will be back 2 days before 1st rifle to solo hike in there. It’s my first elk hunt so I’m stoked. Deep and steep for sure so I’ll be going at it super slow on foot.

Good luck to you guys tomorrow morning. My son and I are up here as well trying to find him one. If anyone gets in a bind or needs some help don’t hesitate to reach out to me on here.

Hope you all had safe & memorable hunts. Wife & I will be staying at Circle K Ranch, probably milling around the Taylor Mesa area, 3rd rifle, can't wait.

Got drawn for Colorado Bull in Unit 71 (2nd year in a row) for 1st Rifle. Anyone else going to be in this unit this year? (10/15/22 to 10/19/22)

I live in 71. You can pm me later on this summer about conditions, not hunting spots. Fire is gonna determine a lot. Never seen it this dry.
Based on draw numbers, it will be busy too.

I Only hunt for deer here every 5 years or so. Didn’t draw this year. If I pull one off the reissue list, I can probably help more. it’ll be archery if I do. Very different than elk in this area, in my opinion

I live in 71. You can pm me later on this summer about conditions, not hunting spots. Fire is gonna determine a lot. Never seen it this dry.
Based on draw numbers, it will be busy too.

I Only hunt for deer here every 5 years or so. Didn’t draw this year. If I pull one off the reissue list, I can probably help more. it’ll be archery if I do. Very different than elk in this area, in my opinion
Hello, I was curious about how the conditions are looking for elk first rifle October 15-19. You mentioned it being ultra dry. Thankyou for any thoughts on this and how it will affect the season.

I heard it has been pretty hot up until now, it’s always amazing how a couple weeks change that.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back