Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado Unit 66 Help..

Flatlander001

Drew a Colorado Unit 66 Muzzleloader Elk permit any information I can get would be awesome..thank you in advance!!

any information I can get would be awesome
The square root of 16 is 4
Monday comes after Sunday
You might be able to stop hiccuping if you hold your breath
You're posts are numbered, so everyone can see that this is your first post. In life it is generally rude to ask for things before introducing yourself. The internet is no different

Drew a Colorado Unit 66 Muzzleloader Elk permit any information I can get would be awesome..thank you in advance!!
Gunnison is a great town. If you aren’t camping stay at the waterwheel inn. I recommend eating at the Gunnisack on main and getting a gunnicookie for dessert.

If you fly fish bring your fly rod and hit the Gunnison. It is my favorite river in the state.

Elk range in forest and forest-edge habitat, feeding on grasses, plants, leaves, and bark. Male elk have large antlers which are shed each year. Males also engage in ritualized mating behaviors during the rut, including posturing, antler wrestling (sparring), and bugling, a loud series of vocalizations that establishes dominance over other males and attracts females.

Gunnison is a great town. If you aren’t camping stay at the waterwheel inn. I recommend eating at the Gunnisack on main and getting a gunnicookie for dessert.

If you fly fish bring your fly rod and hit the Gunnison. It is my favorite river in the state.
Thank you!!

The square root of 16 is 4
Monday comes after Sunday
You might be able to stop hiccuping if you hold your breath
You're posts are numbered, so everyone can see that this is your first post. In life it is generally rude to ask for things before introducing yourself. The internet is no different
Well I guess I'm sorry my name is Ron and I'm also from Iowa. Didn't see nothing that I was being rude. I work as a welder and work alot of OT as well as have a taxidermy business on the side. I don't have alot of time to be on the computer again sorry if being viewed as rude...shouldn't matter if first post or 10000 you as well as others that are calling me out haven't been here very long either so I guess to each their own...

Well I guess I'm sorry my name is Ron and I'm also from Iowa. Didn't see nothing that I was being rude. I work as a welder and work alot of OT as well as have a taxidermy business on the side. I don't have alot of time to be on the computer again sorry if being viewed as rude...shouldn't matter if first post or 10000 you as well as others that are calling me out haven't been here very long either so I guess to each their own...
I’m kind of new too but I’ve picked up on a few things over the last couple of months. Saying anything good about a unit or giving pubic advice on a forum like this can change a place. Say someone says unit X has decent hunting and if a person works hard and looks a areas A, B, and C has a reasonable chance of killing an elk, Areas A, B, and C will get inundated by the 1000 people that googled where to hunt elk in unit X. You unknowingly asked for something that is taboo and is generally shared via PM only, once a trust has been gained. This isn’t where can I find a good steak you’re asking for, it’s the fruit of Year’s of work-even if you’re not asking for “honey holes”. Also, this type question gets asked multiple times a day right after the draws so people get a little sensitive to it. Don’t take people’s reaction to your question personally. I’m sure if you stick around you’ll find there is a lot you can learn from these guys. Overall they’re a good bunch of people. Welcome to HT.

Ron, because you aren't on here as much as others, you probably don't see the annual flood of requests for where to hunt by people new to the forum. Typically those requesters do not keep posting after their hunts, so they seem selfish to the active members. This is true for every hunting forum I have read.

Anyway, this is the CO Parks Wildlife excellent map program: https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas
Check out the unit 66 map. Use the check boxes on the left to see all legal roads and trails on USFS(MVUM), summer elk distribution, wilderness boundaries. Also topo maps, satellite views, county and BLM roads.

Your muzzy tag is during the peak of rut this Sept. Many successful hunters will be focusing around timberline. You can find a lot of discussion from this and other forums by googling "unit 66 elk hunting." If you get any offers of PMs, that is the way more specific intel gets shared on public forums.

Get your cardio on, most of 66 is sky high and steep. Good luck up there, it is breathtaking in more ways than one.

Because I'm old (WSC class of '80) school, In Gunni I always stop by Mario's for great pizza, sandwiches. Even the salads and garlic bread loaves are mighty fine, priced right. Right next door to Gene Taylors Sporting Goods on Hwy 50.

Good luck, it is an awesome tag.

Last edited:
Congrats on pulling an awesome tag! Lots of elk in that unit. I often rent a cabin there with the family, but I haven't hunted elk in that unit. Hopefully you have time for a scouting trip to become familiar with the area, and to better refine you're game plan in conjunction with onXmaps. Also, get out there a few days before the start of the season to do additional scouting. You owe it to yourself given the number of points it takes to draw the muzzleloader tag.

Thank you..I am really looking forward to September!! I will be there a few days early and have a couple of contacts that will be doing summer scouting. My table has had a pile of maps on it since March!!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back