Colorado Unit 66 Drought

Argylesox

Well I have officially drawn Unit 66 in Colorado for first rifle elk. which is a relieve because I didn't want to go back to square one with my E-scouting. Anyways I understand there is a drought in SW Colorado at the moment. I hunted Unit 55 on a dry year, but while hunting during the day I was able to find plenty of water sources fresh enough for me to feel comfortable enough to filter and drink. With the large drainages in 66 (blue creek, elk creek, etc) I am assuming I should be able to find fresh water in the valley floors even in a drought. Am I safe in that assumption? I know I will need to find water to find elk, but I have seen some of the stagnant mosquito invested water they drink and I am a little hesitant to try it lol. Thanks folks.

I have not hunted 66 in years, but what I know about it is there are springs in the area. Contact the Colorado BLM office and they can answer your question more accurately. I do not know the conditions in 66 accurately to be sure, but there are perennial springs you can rely on them. Look at the image dates on Google Earth and if fairly new, look for the green areas and somewhere in there is likely water. CPW can help on that too.

I have not hunted 66, although I’m looking at it hard for future once I dump my points. I would be inclined to say given the drought and if there is springs etc, the elk will still be there but maybe more concentrated to the areas that hold water, where as in a year like 2019 there was water everywhere. Another consideration is antler growth might suffer but I would argue they had enough snow pack to ensure good spring green up for good antler growth. The elk went into 2020 very healthy unlike 2018. 2019 had all the makings of an amazing antler year but from what I observed they didn’t quite get to that amazing potential bc they were so depleted and overcoming 2018. I think 2020 should be a good year for 66

I also have a 1st Rifle tag for this unit and am following the drought conditions. Anyone else have any updates on the conditions there?

I also have a 1st Rifle tag for this unit and am following the drought conditions. Anyone else have any updates on the conditions there?

I will be scouting the area in early September. If I remember I will give an update when I get back.

Keep in mind that even with a severe drought, the springs usually still hold water. That is unless the underground stream itself dries up which is not likely yet in my opinion. If you locate those streams, elk are likely to be coming back to those especially if the number of available watering holes slides downward. I have always found deer and elk close to those even if it's dry and we got no burn warnings out. As I pointed out earlier, 66 has some springs that seem to hold deer and elk around them. They show on the On-X maps.

I was down on the lake fork a couple times the last 4 weeks and flows are almost 50% of the 80 year median. Afternoon monsoons were starting but they were short and not drenching.

Great for wade fishing, not so great for anything else - and when the ‘main’ river is that low It doesn’t bode well for
Springs and feeder creeks but I did not
leave the river basin so can’t say for sure.

im sure you can find live water but I wouldn’t trust small sources and certainly not on southern exposures.

I got back Monday and it was dry for sure. There was water up high in the lakes, ponds, and springs but very little sign around them. I would imagine it is because all the good food is dried up around those sources. I did not check lower elevations. Not sure how much snow and rain they got yesterday but I would imagine that will reshuffle the deck some.

Back