Colorado Unit 49 Bowhunt

COhunter423

Been a Colorado resident for almost ten years and now that the kids are a bit older I’m headed out on my first archery elk hunt in 2021. Hoping to use my 7 PP for Unit 49. I am planning to hunt the second half of the season after ML and perhaps a few days around Labor day.
I grew up hunting whitetail back east and I have OTC rifle hunted elk here in CO a few times. I am really looking to fill the freezer although a nice bull would be a nice extra.
I have started scouting the unit on the internet and hope to make several scouting trips this summer. I have an ATV and I am willing to put in the extra miles needed to give me a better chance.
My main concerns at this point are accessibility and camping. I plan to hunt from Buffalo Peaks and south. I don’t want to show up and be left searching for a place to set up camp. Are there a lot of pull off camping areas? I was considering reserving a forest service campsite but noticed that ATVs are not allowed.

I am also having a hard time deciphering what roads are open to ATVs only and which ones are for all vehicles. Any suggestions for a better map to use would be appreciated.

I would appreciate any PMs for some general suggestions. I am not looking for any honey holes just for some general directions on areas to avoid or focus on so I don’t spend days driving around aimlessly and can put boots on the ground.

plenty of forest service roads, lots of free camping. hunt every weekend of the season and take some weekdays off if you can. plenty of elk and limited entry, but it's no gimme

There's quite a few "ponds" in the wilderness area that have trout. If your looking at camping with a tent, lots of options. If using a camper your going to be more limited to where you can pull it and park. Theres quite a few old posts for unit 49. Everyone heads to the wilderness to get away from the crowds. Be ready to see other hunters and work around them. Its still a good tag and hunt. Good luck

Thanks! Where is the fishing? What can you catch? I have two little ones that would love to fish.
The fishing is a little tough, especially with little ones. Fighting the willow jungle is work. Beaver ponds have plenty of trout in them. Not big, but delicious camp food.

I know the northern half of 49 gets absolutely hammered with recreation hikers and off-roaders, due to access to the 14ers and passes. Not sure about the southern half. I couldn't believe how many people were up there hiking around in September.

Been a Colorado resident for almost ten years and now that the kids are a bit older I’m headed out on my first archery elk hunt in 2021. Hoping to use my 7 PP for Unit 49. I am planning to hunt the second half of the season after ML and perhaps a few days around Labor day.
I grew up hunting whitetail back east and I have OTC rifle hunted elk here in CO a few times. I am really looking to fill the freezer although a nice bull would be a nice extra.
I have started scouting the unit on the internet and hope to make several scouting trips this summer. I have an ATV and I am willing to put in the extra miles needed to give me a better chance.
My main concerns at this point are accessibility and camping. I plan to hunt from Buffalo Peaks and south. I don’t want to show up and be left searching for a place to set up camp. Are there a lot of pull off camping areas? I was considering reserving a forest service campsite but noticed that ATVs are not allowed.

I am also having a hard time deciphering what roads are open to ATVs only and which ones are for all vehicles. Any suggestions for a better map to use would be appreciated.

I would appreciate any PMs for some general suggestions. I am not looking for any honey holes just for some general directions on areas to avoid or focus on so I don’t spend days driving around aimlessly and can put boots on the ground.
good unit--hunted it since the 70s--good brookie and lots of browns now--good elk--early-late-etc. away from people

All the roads in the southern portion of Unit 49, county road 431, 433, 435 and 436 off and west of state hwy 285 are good truck roads not even 4 x 4 so one does not need a ATV... period. Dispersed camping everywhere. Good numbers of nocturnal elk move up and down the buffalo peaks everyday and night especially 3rd and 4th season, depending on snow. If you walk 3/4 to 1 mile from road you won't see many hunters. Don't bugle or cow call too much. These elk are quite bashful. Study google earth.

I’m planning on burning my points there this year too. I’ll be exploring it in July for a recon trip.

Did I PM you earlier re 49, can't find paper trail?

Any reports on how the Unit 49 archery season went in 2021? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Back