Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado Unit 31 road question

IABoilermaker

New to the forum, lurked for the last few months as I have been planning my second elk hunt. Settled on unit 31 in Colorado for first rifle season. After calling the local warden, biologist, and BLM offices I am still having a little trouble trying to understand the road system in that area. I see that on the maps there are multiple roads that cross between BLM, private, and energy development land. It seems from my research that those roads may be gated where they go into the private land even if they are considered a county road. I had originally planned a scouting trip over Labor Day to check this issue out along with others but plans have changed. Would anyone have any experience with this area they would be willing to share here or through PM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it is truly a county right-of-way (Garfield County), any gate should be unlocked. It will also likely have a "Garfield County Historic Right-of-Way" sign. There are a lot of roads in that unit that are county up to the private, but not beyond. If there are specific roads you have questions on, PM and I'll try to help.

Mark

There are a lot of issues with what the maps label as county roads and what are actually county roads. As a general rule in GMU 31, if a labeled county road is in the bottom of a canyon it's likely to be open. If it's on a ridge it's probably closed. There is a very small handful of exceptions.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back